Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride tomorrow--Hopefully.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 02:03 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

For the last few weeks rides have not been much due to the weather but I have managed to get down the gym for Cardio and Spinning sessions. But The bikes are not getting used much and all 3 road bikes are ready to go. Went To an outdoor shop today that is closing down--Like a lot of others- and got a few bargains at very much discounted prices of 30% off the marked price. I was looking at a base layer but the only ones they had were TOP Grade and merino wool. Even with the 30% off they were expensive so I got a new pair of Sealskinz socks. The discounted price and the "EXTRA" 30% bought them down to an online price and the pair I have are going home fast. Got them home and they are full winter grade and made with merino wool. should keep the tootsies warm

Weather tomorrow will be dry- good possibility of sun and a southerly wind of only 5 mph so the trip back should be easier. Only downer is going to be the temp at around 25F so the socks will come in handy. Now where did I put the sandals so the feet don't overheat?

Spike Milligan
Old 01-15-13, 02:27 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
This past Sunday it was up in the 60's (F); quite strange for mid January. We had a houseful of guests so any thoughts of riding would have been futile. Today it's back down in the 20's.
Old 01-15-13, 04:34 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
One should always ride hopefully.

If one rides despairingly, one may become severely depressed.

Old 01-16-13, 12:32 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The ride was COLD at 25F at the start and plenty of Ice on the roads so used the MUP that was a bit drier. Any water that was on the MUP was ICE so took it a bit steady but met a few friends that I saw last year.

.be
And the Merino Sealskinz work. Not exactly roasting feet but not cold which my face was.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 01-16-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 01:38 PM
FMB42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been clear and dry here for the last 5-6 days. I'll probably take my wife's mtb to hybrid conversion out on Sat/Sun if things remain the same until then. Been down into the high 20s to low 30s up until mid morning here lately tho. Guess I'd better dig out my cold weather gear before the weekend.
Old 01-16-13, 01:45 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
It's been unusually cold in the Los Angeles area lately. It was 37 Deg.F when I took off to ride to work this morning. In a "normal" year the temps don't get down below 45 Deg. F.

Plus, as I was rolling my trusty DaHon folder down the driveway, "Pfssssst" said the rear tire, going into blowout mode. Rather that fix that one (which I didn't have the time for, really) I switched shoes and rode my Ti GT road bike instead of the folder. Not so good on the Metro train section of my commute but wow, much nicer to be riding a real road bike instead of the folder!

Luckily, the GT still had the lights on, left over from my club ride last night. So not a terribly difficult (or time consuming) conversion. Still a cold ride though!

Rick / OCRR