Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

breaking the 6hr bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 11:19 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
breaking the 6hr bubble?

I've been adding miles and some effort again but I can't seem to add time. Past month I've been averaging less than 6 hours per week and can't seem to break it. I have a good work week on the bike than I skip my saturday long ride or vise versa. Motivation seems lacking plus last week socal had a pretty nice heat wave diving into the 105+ range. I rode in it once in it and really didn't want to repeat knowing it was hotter. My old goal was 9hr weeks, somehow I need to get another 2-4hrs in I've been avoiding hills like kryptonite so I can build back up my base if you call it that

strava bubble by jsig1, on Flickr
Old 09-22-14, 11:25 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Do you have a riding partner that you can socially compete with? It's amazing how a co-worker and I keep each other going.
Old 09-22-14, 11:30 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Can you bike commute to work? Errands on the weekend by bike?
Old 09-22-14, 11:38 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Finding a ride buddy is a good suggestion, I ride once in awhile with a much faster rider who I used to work with, he easily leaves me in the dust but waits on the top of any major hills for me or whenever I fall back out of sight. When I'm not riding with him, my daughter is a good motivation to ride as she loves being on her bike as much as I do and we ride at about the same pace, although her little legs get tired out easily we rarely ride more than 2 hours at a time.

Commuting is a good way to get in the extra time on the bike and is a great way to "de-stress" after a 8 hour work day, if you live/work a reasonable distance apart. I get in 10 miles or about 40 minutes a day. I try to bump that up to 30 minutes but I've got hills on my commute which I suck at climbing. I often extend my afternoon ride home a bit by making a shopping run (grocery, hardware, pharmacy errands).
Old 09-22-14, 11:40 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leebo
+1 if it's possible.

I can get 6 hours from commuting alone if I can do 4 commutes per week.
Old 09-22-14, 11:42 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
pretty good read, and the workouts are quality:

The Time Crunched Cyclist
Old 09-22-14, 11:55 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
pretty good read, and the workouts are quality:

The Time Crunched Cyclist
But not much use to a man who is trying to rebuild his base.

@jsigone, there's not much many of us here can tell you about riding hard. And if it's the motivation to ride that is lacking, maybe you just need to roll with it and ... not ride very much until you want to.

In every year, for me, there'll be a period of a month or six weeks when I simply feel "bleh" about riding. Often, but not always, they'll come after a long high-mileage tour or (in each of the last couple of years) towards the end of the racing season when I've been putting in a lot of intensity. It worried me the first few times, but now I just relax and do what my unconscious is telling me - I ride little or not at all for a while.

I do take care for it not to become a habit, though. After maybe a month I make a deliberate effort to get back out there, rejecting excuses about the weather, etc., and so far I have always found that the enthusiasm immediately returns. I remeber why I liked this so much in the first place, and I get back into base training and churning out several hours at a time just for the pleasure of it.

So if I were you I'd relax. Do as little or as much as you want to for another two or three weeks, but set yourself a date when you're going to get back at it. Works for me...
Old 09-22-14, 12:01 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54

In every year, for me, there'll be a period of a month or six weeks when I simply feel "bleh" about riding. Often, but not always, they'll come after a long high-mileage tour or (in each of the last couple of years) towards the end of the racing season when I've been putting in a lot of intensity. It worried me the first few times, but now I just relax and do what my unconscious is telling me - I ride little or not at all for a while.

I do take care for it not to become a habit, though. After maybe a month I make a deliberate effort to get back out there, rejecting excuses about the weather, etc., and so far I have always found that the enthusiasm immediately returns. I remeber why I liked this so much in the first place, and I get back into base training and churning out several hours at a time just for the pleasure of it.

So if I were you I'd relax. Do as little or as much as you want to for another two or three weeks, but set yourself a date when you're going to get back at it. Works for me...
I've experienced that this year too ... and I did the same thing ... just stepped back, took some time off, sort of forced myself back to it after a little time and it's all good now.

FWIW, your signature often plays through my head when my sleepy brain is rallying against commuting in the morning.
Old 09-22-14, 12:20 PM
salreus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you doing any "fun" rides. The type of rides that got me started was just leisurely riding around my neighborhood. I like to log my rides, but now i even put my GPS device in my bag so I don't know distance,speed....etc...My whole focus is just to enjoy the ride with my wife...

Another option is night riding. Brings out a whole new excitement... and not talking about getting ran over because people can't see you...
Old 09-22-14, 01:27 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I've been avoiding hills like kryptonite so I can build back up my base if you call it that
Uh Oh, wait till our buddy @IBOHUNT reads this.... you're in trouble for sure. He accepts no excuses for not climbing hills. He's on me like white on rice.
Old 09-22-14, 01:58 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I think @IBOHUNT gave me a hall pass last month when I started to ride again. Plus I have a 11/23 cassette fitted to the cross bike and in no way near shape or form to push that gearing up any bump longer than 2 mins
Old 09-22-14, 02:18 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
You get a hall pass for not climbing *HOWEVER* what you don't get a pass on is riding. While I totally get the lack of motivation after what happened, because I've gone through it as well, I needed something that would motivate me. That came in the form of races. Perhaps since it's cross season you can look to doing one in the near future for that carrot.

I get on @bbeasley for not riding "hills" because there is only one where he's from. Don't think there is a road in that state that has the word "mountain" in it

p.s. 2 minutes should get you 3/4mile @ 3% easily. Just saying there sparky...
Old 09-22-14, 04:07 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm fortunate in some ways to work second shift because I get my daily ride started by 830am at the latest:-).
Old 09-22-14, 04:08 PM
Granturismonut

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Cannondale Super 6, Cannondale CAADX disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+2
Old 09-22-14, 04:36 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Oh, and by the way @jsigone; I expect a 'breaking the double metric in about 6 hour ride time' report in a few months.

hint hint Mr. @bbeasley - you to.
Old 09-22-14, 04:55 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Oh, and by the way @jsigone; I expect a 'breaking the double metric in about 6 hour ride time' report in a few months.

using last saturday's pace for 85mi, I'm a FAR 40min off your request...IF i can even ride that long
Old 09-22-14, 05:11 PM
IBOHUNT

using last saturday's pace for 85mi, I'm a FAR 40min off your request...IF i can even ride that long
Then there is your carrot son. Go forth and train. Find a flat flat route, like 1200' over 125 miles, and make it happen
Old 09-22-14, 05:30 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Can't commute due to daddy duties before n after work. Errands by bike on weekends won't fly cuz 1/3 of saturdays is spent on the bike already. When I get home, I get ready and take my family out somewhere to get out of the house. Plus I don't have a bike worthy enough to leave in front of a store. Sundays is church and more family time.
Old 09-22-14, 08:30 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT

Whew, have I got work to do.
Old 09-22-14, 08:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,005 Posts
I think @IBOHUNT gave me a hall pass last month when I started to ride again. Plus I have a 11/23 cassette fitted to the cross bike and in no way near shape or form to push that gearing up any bump longer than 2 mins
I've got a 12-27 if you need it....

Old 09-22-14, 09:48 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've got a 12-27 if you need it....

Thanks but I have one of those too plus a 11/26......the 11/23 is under mandatory leg/lung strengthening phase
Old 09-22-14, 10:24 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You just need to get off you lazy ass and get riding! And get a damn road bike!

There, somebody had to say it. Enough coddling! Bicycling is serious business and needs to be treated with respect! Ignore the kid, shun the wife and get out there.

Or just reset your expectations for a month or two, I'm sure your motivation will return. I'm perpetually dealing with interruptions that keep me at or under 6 hours a week. Le Sigh.
Old 09-23-14, 06:18 AM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by bbeasley
Not much. Avg HR bottom of endurance I'm guessing. Push that a little higher and I think you'll find that you are closer than you think.
Old 09-23-14, 06:39 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Bicycling is serious business and needs to be treated with respect!
^hahahahahahaha
Old 09-23-14, 07:12 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride 2 to 3 weekday rides of 2 hours each usually alone then look forward to the long social ride on Saturday. Our effort is adjusted for the weather conditions but we always ride 3-4 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.