Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

I have just been diagnosed with COPD.

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 02:29 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts

I want to know if anyone here has it and is able to continue to ride.
Old 08-26-18, 02:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I would hope so, but you should avoid things like the smoky days we've had all summer and take it at a more relaxed pace. Your physician can be of a lot more help perhaps.

Best of luck and health as you can get.
Old 08-26-18, 03:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Seems to me the diagnosis is just some guy saying something. You can ride as well after he said it as you could before.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was five. It alwsys bothered me. Finally, as an adult, i decided that being asthmatic was too limiting ... so I quit.

Unfortunately I still sometimes have symptoms of asthma ... but that's life. I still do whatever I can.

I think @Rollfast has it right. Figure out what helps and hurts, and do or don't do those things. But I cannot see how not using your lungs will help.

I used to be really fit ... so asthma symptom, even if they lowered my capacity, left me with plenty of capacity. Ten I got really fat, so asthma symptoms make things pretty hard. I am trying to get a little more fit, because the more I can breathe, the more I can breathe when I can't breathe so much.

Enjoy that bike as much as you can. Why not?
Old 08-26-18, 03:21 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Seems to me the diagnosis is just some guy saying something. You can ride as well after he said it as you could before.........
"Seems to me the diagnosis is just some guy saying something. You can ride as well after he said it as you could before...."
LOL, well said !!!
Old 08-26-18, 03:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I am seeing several notes on the web about benefits of exercise with COPD.

While the COPD may not be reversible, endurance exercise may well help with oxygen consumption, and is considered to be an overall benefit.
Old 08-26-18, 05:15 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
I have just been through about 2 years of horrible pulmonary diagnoses - supposed to die in just a few years, etc. Really bothered me. Then, I figured, what the Heck - nothing has changed about me except someone's diagnoses. I will just keep cycling, swimming, walking, resistance exercising, stretching, keeping my weight, BP, etc., where they should be, and go on with my life.

Guess what - after about a jillion tests, I referred myself to National Jewish Hospital (best in the nation on respiratory diseases) who now state that my original diagnosis was incorrect. I have something, extremely rare - (maybe 400 folks in the entire world are known to have it) - but not a terrible something. So, I just keep on living as before, and have actually markedly increased my endurance.

The mindset is critical. Once you start thinking about yourself as "sick" you start acting that way. DON'T DO THAT. The statements above were very wise. You are still the same, keep on going. Don't get doctored to death. BTW, I am almost 79 years old.

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-26-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 05:24 PM
Colnago Mixte

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think the AMA trolls these boards, so you guys watch out for incoming!

BTW, I completely agree.
Old 08-26-18, 05:49 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I’m no doctor but I used to be a respiratory therapist. Do what you can for as long as you can. There are bronchodilators and rehab exercises that can help relieve symptoms. When I was an RT, pulmonary rehab programs encouraged lower impact aerobic exercises like walking for building heart/lung stamina. It seems cycling would fit right in.
Old 08-26-18, 07:56 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I do and I keep riding. My strava times are in the upper half of the field in road and off-road segments and in my 60s that's pretty decent with or without COPD.

Watch your triggers. When you ride use a warm-up and meds routine that works for you.
Old 08-26-18, 09:14 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The diagnosis “COPD” covers a lot of ground. Different types, varying degrees. It won’t help you to ask strangers on the internet. The way to find out is for you to get on your bike and ride, and see if you can do it.
Old 08-26-18, 09:53 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
+1 to what people said, with an added thought: the diagnoses can and should change one thing immediately, which is your preparedness for potential issues. I don't know what that preparedness would look like, but you'll find out, and if you're smart, you'll be more prepared. Analogy: you are told you have asthma. You still do the same stuff, but now you carry an inhaler.
Old 08-26-18, 10:30 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
an added thought: the diagnoses can and should change one thing immediately, which is your preparedness for potential issues.
Keep in mind that respiratory diseases can KILL.

Keep up to date with your flu vaccine.
If you haven't had Pneumovax, ask your doctor if it applies.
Others? DPT?
Old 08-26-18, 11:05 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by Ronsonic
I do and I keep riding. My strava times are in the upper half of the field in road and off-road segments and in my 60s that's pretty decent with or without COPD.

Watch your triggers. When you ride use a warm-up and meds routine that works for you.
Thank you. If I can get lined out I will be back on the bike. The humidity and pollution is rough here.
Old 08-26-18, 11:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Do what your doctors and physical therapists advise. They'll know your condition best.

I've known several folks with COPD, including family members. The single most significant factor was smoking. Those who quit lived longer and had a better quality of life. Some could not quit smoking and declined rapidly, usually within only 2-3 years.

My granddad had been a heavy smoker but quit in his 50s when he developed early symptoms of what would later be diagnosed as COPD and, finally, congestive heart failure. But he lived to age 82 and was still relatively mobile, gardening and doing yard and house chores, until only his final year or so, when he needed a lot of prednisone to reduce inflammation around his heart and lungs. Most of his mobility limitations were due to an old back injury and knee replacement that didn't heal well because he didn't cooperate with physical therapy. If he'd been able to overcome those physical disabilities and stayed active he might have lived longer or enjoyed his final couple of years more.

In contrast, a neighbor and another friend who were only in their late 60s couldn't stop smoking and declined rapidly. Part of the complication was lack of oxygenation to the brain. This led to confusion and disorientation, combined with the familiar mood swings associated with long term use of prednisone. The combined complications contributed to their decline. Without live-in aides they would occasionally run out of oxygen in their tanks, and would rapidly become so confused and disoriented from lack of oxygen that they would fall or pass out. Stopping smoking might have improved their prognosis.

If you don't smoke but there are other contributing factors, including air pollution or respiratory irritants in your area, consider moving to a healthier region. Check daily air quality reports and see if there's any pattern that coincides with your symptoms. For some folks ozone action days are the worst, even if they have no other allergy symptoms. In some cases the best, or only, solution is to move.

I stopped smoking more than 20 years ago and never was a heavy smoker. But I was experiencing more problems with bronchitis and pneumonia, along with seasonal allergies and asthma. Now I have a constricted trachea from a badly swollen thyroid, which interferes with breathing during heavy exertion, so my bicycling effort is somewhat limited. Much as I love living in my part of Texas (Fort Worth), I'm allergic to pretty much everything here. So eventually I may need to consider relocating if my respiratory problems worsen. But I have no COPD, just a constricted airway, so it's too early to worry about needing to relocate.
Old 08-26-18, 11:49 PM
CliffordK

Thank you. If I can get lined out I will be back on the bike. The humidity and pollution is rough here.
You didn't mention where you are. Midwest?

There are masks that are supposed to help with the fire smoke we're having here in the west. I don't know about other pollutants. I'm not sure how it would affect you as breathing may be more difficult.

Keep the exercise up. Indoor trainer/exercycle?
Ride in the winter and the rain?
Old 08-27-18, 05:27 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by CliffordK
You didn't mention where you are. Midwest?

There are masks that are supposed to help with the fire smoke we're having here in the west. I don't know about other pollutants. I'm not sure how it would affect you as breathing may be more difficult.

Keep the exercise up. Indoor trainer/exercycle?
Ride in the winter and the rain?
Texas gulf coast between Houston and Galveston. Hot, high humidity and pollution. Seems the problem is scaring on the lung tissue. Future doesn't look promising.