Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Padded Bike Shorts or not

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Padded Bike Shorts or not

Old 10-05-18, 10:44 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Some of these responses remind me of that guy at the gym that doens't believe real men wear gloves. What he doesn't seem to realize is that his hands look like they've been through a meat grinder and permanently stained in crud. No thanks.
Well...my butt looks fantastic, thank you. And I never wear bike shorts.
Old 10-05-18, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
You can ride a bike without proper padded shorts, but why would you want to? Same goes for helmet, shoes and gloves. Would you play hockey in baseball cleats? Different strokes, I guess ...

Yeah, the 90% or so of the people who ride bikes and don't wear special clothes or shoes sure must be idiots, right?

Why do without them? Don't need them, they're expensive, they're inconvenient if you're hopping on and off the bike, and they're kind of stupid-looking.
Old 10-05-18, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Well...my butt looks fantastic, thank you. And I never wear bike shorts.

In part, I think it's my well-developed glutes that let me do really well with stock saddles and no padding.

Butt I really didn't want to say that.
Old 10-05-18, 11:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
This is going to end well.
Old 10-05-18, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is going to end well.
Cheeky.
Old 10-05-18, 11:49 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As usual, you judge other people's needs based on no knowledge whatsoever.
I'm not questioning the manliness of anyone who wears padding, I just haven't had any need for them, but if Krane needs them, everyone else must, right?.
First, that was an observation, not a judgment. No penalties are involved. And second, I am a cyclist, and have been one all my life. I have a great deal of knowledge on all of the above.
Old 10-05-18, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
First, that was an observation, not a judgment. No penalties are involved. And second, I am a cyclist, and have been one all my life. I have a great deal of knowledge on all of the above.

Oh, BS, you implied people who say they don't need bike shorts are deluded by comparing us with people with ugly hands who ridicule glove use. Play your little passive/aggressive games somewhere else.

And guess what? The people who say they don't need bike shorts have been cyclists all their lives too.
Old 10-05-18, 12:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Cheeky.
I wish I could say I am that clever. Guess I am subconsciously.
Old 10-05-18, 12:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
The main concern I have is that the shorts I wear don't have any thick seams in the crotch are that can rub me raw on rides. I've got a few pairs of bike-specific shorts that only have a thin (artifical) chamois in the crotch area, and they work great. I also have some swim shorts with liners that also work great. YMMV.

And I don't were click-in shoes. Don't see any need for them since I'm primarily riding on suburban streets and like the convenience of being able to pop on-and-off the bicycle and walk freely in normal shoes.
Old 10-05-18, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by skidder
The main concern I have is that the shorts I wear don't have any thick seams in the crotch are that can rub me raw on rides. I've got a few pairs of bike-specific shorts that only have a thin (artifical) chamois in the crotch area, and they work great. I also have some swim shorts with liners that also work great. YMMV.

And I don't were click-in shoes. Don't see any need for them since I'm primarily riding on suburban streets and like the convenience of being able to pop on-and-off the bicycle and walk freely in normal shoes.
Yup, you know what you need for the riding you do.

The key there is definitely YMMV--butts and feet come in all shapes and sizes. It's always so funny when people assume that everyone needs what works for them but those other people just haven't figured it out yet.
Old 10-06-18, 02:46 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
Pads - not chamois anymore - come in various widths, lengths, thicknesses, densities, seamed, unseamed.... You want something that's comfortable. The hunt for comfortable shorts can be arduous. Those of us who have found comfortable shorts like them. No need to start the hunt unless you experience chafing.

Chamois is a type of leather, soft, smooth, leather. It was replaced by synthetic stuff primarily because of cost but also because synthetics dry faster. Cheaper, dry faster ... less comfortable, more prone to hosting bacteria colonies. Maybe not a great trade-off. Chamois cream wasn't a product until synthetics took over the market....

Last edited by philbob57; 10-06-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 03:05 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I'm NOT a 'professional rider' and have never claimed to be. Back 40+ years ago, the 'serious riders' wore wool cycling shorts - some with- and some without padding.

Me? I wore my regular cotton/polyester underwear and regular street clothes - or a 'warm-up suit' on many Century rides. TOSRV four times, Hilly Hundred twice and many many others.... Always on a Brooks-clone hard leather saddle. Even on a 1000+ mile tour. I never even had any padded cycling shorts until ten years later. 60-some thousand miles later and I'm still around and still riding/commuting in street clothes, so it isn't any death-defying thing to ride without padded shorts! However, nowadays if riding more than 60 miles in a day, I'll opt for padded cycling shorts under my hiking shorts (for the pockets) and a wicking t-shirt in deference to my 'senior years' body...
Old 10-06-18, 04:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yeah, the 90% or so of the people who ride bikes and don't wear special clothes or shoes sure must be idiots, right?
No, they just don't ride very far and usually have an overstuffed saddle that aren't suitable for a long ride either.
Old 10-06-18, 06:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GeneO
No, they just don't ride very far and usually have an overstuffed saddle that aren't suitable for a long ride either.

Oh look everyone! It's the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Just rode 105 miles in my cargo pants today, and will do another 100 tomorrow. But it doesn't count because I'm not wearing the right pants, right?

Feel free to check the thickness of my saddle. It's pretty much standard rode bike.

Hate to break it to you, but most riders who "suit up" don't ride very far, either.
Old 10-06-18, 07:18 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Professional rider, no padded shorts ? Probably not.
Personally, Depends.........................

shorter rides (<50 km), usually don't bother.
when I do wear bike shorts, prefer J&G Touring shorts.
they have a nice thin wicking pad,
my saddles are comfortable, don't need a monster crotch pad.