Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front LED Blinker!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Front LED Blinker!

Old 10-31-18, 10:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
if you saw the bike from .5 mile away the light is doing its job.
Being able to single out a particular bike on a bike path a half mile away is absolutely irrelevant to safety on a bike path. It may or may not make sense on a road as the closing speeds are faster and the bikes are more scarce, but on a path, I'll probably have passed at least 10 other bikes before I close with the one with the light. Knowing another bike is coming while I do that is absolutely useless information. And given that every time you half the distance, you quadruple the brightness, by the time you get to within a few feet of me, that light I could see at a half mile is temporarily blinding. There's just no way that the guy with the bright flashing light is doing anything other than creating a hazard on a path.
Old 10-31-18, 10:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Passing in opposite directions doesn't lend itself to an extended "polite" conversation. "Turn off the blinker" is about as much as I can get out without turning around and chasing them.

Most do turn them off, but one guy started calling me a whiner. His was literally the brightest light I had ever seen, and I saw it from a half mile away at high noon on a clear day. By the time we closed, it was completely blinding. The nicest thing I yelled at him after he called me a whiner was "moron".

I find that a loud "Your light sucks!" can be communicated while passing.
Old 10-31-18, 11:05 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
When I was selling these things in a shop, I used to tell neophytes that the higher powered front lights (say, 400+ lumens) were used for you to see where you were going - they were designed to illuminate your path. Front lights of lesser lumens (and rear lights) were designed for people to see you. I always explained that a high-powered light can be extremely distracting to oncoming vehicles if pointed right at them. My suggestions were to run the rear light at all times if that made them comfortable. On the road, the strobe can be on during daylight and especially dusk, but the light should be slightly angled down to prevent blinding (and actually distracting) oncoming traffic. I often suggested getting a less intense light if they were only using it as warning to oncoming traffic.
Old 10-31-18, 11:21 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave

What’s the Greenway?
Searched greenway , still ???

Am way over 50
https://www.greenway.org.au/about/what-greenway
Old 10-31-18, 11:24 PM
themp

Well I did not expect such a response in the terms of others are bothered also. So, I may give it a try and ask a passing cyclist with a bright strobing LED to turn it off when seen on the MUP.
Old 10-31-18, 11:26 PM
themp

Originally Posted by tamiya
these blinding strobes are getting beyond a joke - i swear they're brighter than my camera's flash!

Which at current rate... Getting real tempted to mount camera flash on my front... To be triggered in response to overly blinding flashing light approaching.
lol
Old 11-01-18, 01:01 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks

be nice to try it.
Will turn off front flashing light if I do

None in Alaska
will have to get out more . Try to find one
I did a section of a “rails to trails “ near Connelsvile, PA last Oct
was nice to not have vehicles &
few road intersections,

Old 11-01-18, 08:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
I often cruise at 14 mph. If an oncoming cyclist is moving at about the same speed, our closing velocity is pretty fast. Whatever I say, the other person is likely to hear one or two words of mine and no more. I'm not going to stop just to complain about someone's lights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-18, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Being able to single out a particular bike on a bike path a half mile away is absolutely irrelevant to safety on a bike path.
I cannot wrap my head around why the people with the lights think they are enhancing their safety. This summer there were two men moving slowly on wide open MUP in broad daylight. They both had bright front lights. As I was approaching them I just kept thinking "Why?" I had a strong urge to stop and clue them in, but I let it go.

I sometimes wonder if the gadget and gizmo-heavy world many people live in drives the behavior of some. "I have this cool dynamo-powered lighting system and I am going to run it 24/7."
Old 11-01-18, 08:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Then there are the people who run taillights in the front. What are they thinking? Some of them run headlights in the back, and others run taillights in the back.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-01-18, 10:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by noglider
I often cruise at 14 mph. If an oncoming cyclist is moving at about the same speed, our closing velocity is pretty fast. Whatever I say, the other person is likely to hear one or two words of mine and no more. I'm not going to stop just to complain about someone's lights.

I've timed "turn off the flasher" for just such a situation, but my voice carries very well so I can spit it out in the last 25 feet or so. I've actually looked back and seen people changing the settings or turning it off (can't really tell which from behind).
Old 11-01-18, 10:19 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
What am I missing? I've never heard of anyone on a bicycle having a head-on collision with a car. Why do you need a front light at all....unless you're riding at night and need help to see?
And if you're riding n the correct side of the street, cars are coming up behind you. I guess you could make a case for being seen at busy intersections, but is that the reason??
I've been riding for over forty years, this is a serious question.
What? MA is killing riders all the time. Get out of your time warp. And look beyond your own borders. Big city anyone?
Old 11-01-18, 11:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by smoore
What am I missing? I've never heard of anyone on a bicycle having a head-on collision with a car. Why do you need a front light at all....unless you're riding at night and need help to see?
And if you're riding n the correct side of the street, cars are coming up behind you. I guess you could make a case for being seen at busy intersections, but is that the reason??
I've been riding for over forty years, this is a serious question.
I was hit head-on by a car. I don't remember it, and I don't remember the ambulance ride. I was riding to work, and the next minute I remember is a doctor standing over me, waking me up. He had witnessed it and said I flew 50 feet.

A front light prevents not only head-on collisions but also hooks across your front. When a driver is more or less in front of me and I don't think he sees me, I wiggle my handlebars, which seems to help. I learned that from the SMIDSY motorcycle video, and it works well.

Old 11-01-18, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I was hit head-on by a car. I don't remember it, and I don't remember the ambulance ride. I was riding to work, and the next minute I remember is a doctor standing over me, waking me up. He had witnessed it and said I flew 50 feet.

A front light prevents not only head-on collisions but also hooks across your front. When a driver is more or less in front of me and I don't think he sees me, I wiggle my handlebars, which seems to help. I learned that from the SMIDSY motorcycle video, and it works well.

That makes a lot of sense--thanks! Our attention is definitely drawn more to motion and change than a steady stationary light. I think the slower blink rate works better than a fast strobe on the street, BTW, because you have the attention-getting change without the "too quick for your pupils" effect. Even on a bike path, I don't have trouble keeping track of the location of a bike with a slow-blink headlight, and it doesn't affect my ability to see other people around them as much, either.

Glad you're still with us! I've had a lot of close calls with drivers I could have sworn were looking right at me, and have had to scream to get their attention. That's definitely last resort. Tunnel vision is a real thing and it's good to be reminded of it.
Old 11-01-18, 12:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

There are reasons that car drivers don't see motorcyclists and cyclists, and they can be explained by science. The obvious one is that they are generally not trained or conditioned to see us. The other one is that when we turn our heads or eyes, we think we are seeing everything in the sweep of our vision, but we are not. The "movie" is made of a few still pictures, and it's easy to miss one in the middle. I wish I had the video that demonstrates it. I think it's in an airplane pilot training video.

I see one guy on my bike path who has a long rod across the front of his bike with lots of lights on it side by side. I think he has at least six lights in total. That's smart, but it's a lot of trouble.

Old 11-01-18, 12:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There are reasons that car drivers don't see motorcyclists and cyclists, and they can be explained by science. The obvious one is that they are generally not trained or conditioned to see us. The other one is that when we turn our heads or eyes, we think we are seeing everything in the sweep of our vision, but we are not. The "movie" is made of a few still pictures, and it's easy to miss one in the middle. I wish I had the video that demonstrates it. I think it's in an airplane pilot training video.

I see one guy on my bike path who has a long rod across the front of his bike with lots of lights on it side by side. I think he has at least six lights in total. That's smart, but it's a lot of trouble.
This works if you don't read the description first:
​​​​​​​
Old 11-01-18, 12:45 PM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently you all don't ride trikes...your inches off the ground and have the profile of a kid riding a go-cart.

Yes, I usually ride on the 'Greenway' trails. And, yes, most of the DF's and trikes are sporting flashing lights, (white in front, red in back) during the day. I kinda like it, from where I sit.

My ride is all black, and more or less blends into the asphalt pavement at a distance. I feel its a courtesy to light up, so people can actually tell what is coming their way.

I'm adding a totally obnoxious bright led lit flag pole, not so much for the trails, but for the streets...I want every driver to at least have a fighting chance of seeing me while they are texting, doing their make-up or arguing with their kids about whats for dinner.

Sorry, to the folks with sensitive eyes, I think the compromise is worth it...I do know what you are talking about (after 7 eye surgeries, bright stuff doesn't make me too happy either).

ron
Old 11-01-18, 02:18 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm really not that bothered by other cyclist's bright flashing headlights.
I consider them a very temporary, extremely minor annoyance.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-01-18, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Nachoman

Sorry, but I've seen too many situations where they're very clearly a safety hazard. Minor annoyances I generally don't fuss about.
Old 11-01-18, 04:41 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
x2
Old 11-01-18, 09:44 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alternate perspective

My usual ride consists of alternating road and greenway/mup paths. I have the flashing white light on the front and red on the back. The front is angled to light about two+ yards in front of me. The lights not only keep me safe from drivers, they also catch the attention of trail walkers and casual riders who are meandering back and forth across the pavement. And I'm averaging around 14mph - so I'm not being a obnoxious speed demon.
This is a technological improvement over safety lighting from days gone by. It's what I want on my kids' bikes too.

If any jerks yell(smh) at me, I might yell back. I might not.
Old 11-02-18, 12:50 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Alaska law
https://www.dot.state.ak.us/stwdplng/...laska_Laws.pdf
gives a visible distance of 500’
for front white light (for night riding)
no rule to have a daytime front light
but
Tailights have no night rules.
”A bicycle must be equipped with a tail light which displays a
red light visible 500 feet to the rear of a bicycle.”

I read it that I have to always have a rear red light but only
a white front light at night.

Last edited by bogydave; 11-02-18 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 05:31 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
x3

try not staring into the light, kind of like driving at night. just another post for people to complain about anything. and before you attack me for being reasonable I will turn my front light off when on a "greenway"
Old 11-02-18, 05:45 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry, I use mine every ride. I have to take streets for the first and last 2 miles of my rides on the MUP. And at least on the Razorback Greenway in NW Arkansas there are plenty of street crossings, sharrows and driveways to warrant it. I try and keep it pointed low, and on the lowest setting.

I've also nearly been run in to by other cyclists in many of the tunnels the greenway has. Some tunnels have no lights on during the day. Goofs wearing dark sunglasses riding at speed enter the tunnel and can't see anything. Prior to using my headlight I actually bumped shoulders with a guy, my right grip was already almost touching the wall. I have no idea if it helps but I get tired of almost getting hit.
Old 11-02-18, 07:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rootman
Sorry, I use mine every ride. I have to take streets for the first and last 2 miles of my rides on the MUP. And at least on the Razorback Greenway in NW Arkansas there are plenty of street crossings, sharrows and driveways to warrant it. I try and keep it pointed low, and on the lowest setting.

I've also nearly been run in to by other cyclists in many of the tunnels the greenway has. Some tunnels have no lights on during the day. Goofs wearing dark sunglasses riding at speed enter the tunnel and can't see anything. Prior to using my headlight I actually bumped shoulders with a guy, my right grip was already almost touching the wall. I have no idea if it helps but I get tired of almost getting hit.

The OP was complaining specifically about high intensity blinkers, which I took to mean strobes. By your own account, you turn down the intensity, so I don't think you're doing what was complained about.

I really have no complaints about moderate intensity lights with slow blink rates. The strobes I'm complaining about are really airplane-level brightness being used for a purpose they're completely inappropriate for, and it is not, as some of the people here seem to be saying, just a matter of discomfort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.