Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Hip Recovery Blog

Old 01-20-19, 12:53 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
:
Originally Posted by jppe

Tough luck! Hang in there.
Walked 12.8 miles in 3 days according to GPS minimum swelling in my foot so back on the bikes. Need a goal so Katy Trail 3 this summer so something to motivate me to train which is good. This time West from East aka from St. Louis area to the KC area Katy Trail connected to Rock Island Line.
Old 01-20-19, 01:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
:
Walked 12.8 miles in 3 days according to GPS minimum swelling in my foot so back on the bikes. Need a goal so Katy Trail 3 this summer so something to motivate me to train which is good. This time West from East aka from St. Louis area to the KC area Katy Trail connected to Rock Island Line.
Katy Trail is on my list of to do's. Tell me more about what you have planned. Are you doing the entire trail? How many days? Logistics? With a group?
Old 01-20-19, 01:29 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad you're recovering well. My buddy just had his second hip replacement about 12 days ago. He's older, so ended up staying in the hospital overnight. We're leaving with a group of other friends for a week snowmobiling in West Yellowstone later this week. I'm skeptical that he can ride a snowmobile, and his surgeon isn't crazy about the idea, but we'll see. The timing kind of sucked, but that was the date he was approved by the VA for surgery locally.
Old 01-20-19, 11:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Katy Trail is on my list of to do's. Tell me more about what you have planned. Are you doing the entire trail? How many days? Logistics? With a group?
Not sure as of right now. Last two years I had family meet me with the car at certain points on the trail so no group. Completed the entire Katy on year one on year two I added the Rock Island Line that starts at a small town near KC I can’t remember the town name. Last summers ride was hot and I’m use to the heat it was around 15 degrees hotter than normal in early June. June should have highs in the 80s which is nice but not last year. I’ve had a blast the past two rides since it is void of cars and is well maintained and the people love the bikes for the revenue it brings the small towns. There is an Amish/Mennonite community along the way which is cool to see the horses and buggies some of the pit stops have water for the horses etc. Now I just need to get back on my bike build back endurance and lose this extra weight I gained by laying around
Old 01-28-19, 12:01 AM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
I had a Total Hip Replacement, left hip, anterior approach, on November 27th, 2018. A calendar two months to the day. Recovery was set back a bit due to a nasty flu over Christmas and New Years but feeling great now and I have no limitations. Seems while my recovery has been excellent, due to other health issues I’ll describe below, I didn’t have the fitness base you frequent riders had before the surgery.

My hip surgery was originally scheduled for early February 2018 but during the required pre-surgery physical they found some issues with my heart that turned out to be afib and flutter. Doc thought I was a good candidate for ablation so I had that procedure in July. It seemed to go well and Doc cleared me for hip surgery. I still have some Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC) but they are apparently routine and my doctor doesn’t seem too concerned about them and encourages me to exercise. The afib and flutter seem to have been stopped by the ablation so keeping my fingers crossed I have been "cured".

I have been on the trainer the last couple weeks and plan on getting on the road soon. If it hadn’t been 15 years since I was on a bike, I would likely be riding now but my Colnago was a bit twitchy even when I was riding a lot and I’d rather get my fitness up and minimize the chances of taking a fall and minimize the damage if I do.

I take the bike in for a tune-up this Wednesday and the plan is to go for a ride as soon as I get it back and know it is safe to ride. Of course that might depend on Seattle weather. Overall, I feel great and while I will miss running, think biking can replace it and look forward to getting back in the shape I am used to.
Old 01-28-19, 03:46 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Midway
I had a Total Hip Replacement, left hip, anterior approach, on November 27th, 2018. A calendar two months to the day. Recovery was set back a bit due to a nasty flu over Christmas and New Years but feeling great now and I have no limitations. Seems while my recovery has been excellent, due to other health issues I’ll describe below, I didn’t have the fitness base you frequent riders had before the surgery.

My hip surgery was originally scheduled for early February 2018 but during the required pre-surgery physical they found some issues with my heart that turned out to be afib and flutter. Doc thought I was a good candidate for ablation so I had that procedure in July. It seemed to go well and Doc cleared me for hip surgery. I still have some Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC) but they are apparently routine and my doctor doesn’t seem too concerned about them and encourages me to exercise. The afib and flutter seem to have been stopped by the ablation so keeping my fingers crossed I have been "cured".

I have been on the trainer the last couple weeks and plan on getting on the road soon. If it hadn’t been 15 years since I was on a bike, I would likely be riding now but my Colnago was a bit twitchy even when I was riding a lot and I’d rather get my fitness up and minimize the chances of taking a fall and minimize the damage if I do.

I take the bike in for a tune-up this Wednesday and the plan is to go for a ride as soon as I get it back and know it is safe to ride. Of course that might depend on Seattle weather. Overall, I feel great and while I will miss running, think biking can replace it and look forward to getting back in the shape I am used to.
Excellent!!

I wish I knew about the anterior approach when I had mine replaced. From what I've read and people I have talked to It sounds like recovery and life after replacement is a lot better than posterior. But, I'm not sure I could have coordinated getting a surgeon to do an anterior replacement on an emergency basis though. The surgeon I would have probably used for an anterior replacement is about 30 miles away....
Old 01-28-19, 05:51 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Excellent!!

I wish I knew about the anterior approach when I had mine replaced. From what I've read and people I have talked to It sounds like recovery and life after replacement is a lot better than posterior. But, I'm not sure I could have coordinated getting a surgeon to do an anterior replacement on an emergency basis though. The surgeon I would have probably used for an anterior replacement is about 30 miles away....
I did a bit of research and anterior does seem to have a faster recovery. I went to a surgery center and went home the same day. They tend to cut into much less muscle so the initial recovery can be faster but everything evens out over time. Overall results seem to be the same with the competence of the surgeon more important than the approach. Nighttime when trying to sleep is the only time I notice much.
Old 02-08-19, 02:40 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Sort of getting back into my old routine. I walked 18 holes and shot an even par 72 with 3 birdies. Grabbed some lunch then rode 30+ miles on my new bike in pretty breezy and warm conditions. I still don’t have my full leg strength nor cardio but heck, it’s still winter time!