Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite US Century Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 08:55 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

I am considering doing a distant century ride from my area (SE Florida), and I'd like to know which is your favorite or one that sounds good to you that you may not have done. I'm looking for rides that I can drive to within 14 hours but I'd also consider rides that would require me to fly with my bike. I did fly to NY to do the GFNY last year.
Considerations:
1. Drive to rides within 14 hours would be as far as Alabama, eastern Tennessee, southern Kentucky, the Carolina's, Georgia,
2. Once again, I'm willing to fly with my bike and do a ride outside of the areas I've mentioned above. I love hiking in south Utah/ northern Arizona and would love to bike there too. But anywhere would be fine too as long as it is an interesting or fun ride.
3. Yes, I live in Florida which we all know means I am not accustomed to hills-- I can do hills. The GFNY New York had about 8,000- 8,500 feet of elevation. I can do more as long as I train for it. I've even considered Georgia's Six Gap ride for next year.
3. I would love to do a midsummer ride in one of the northern states, considering that our organized events die down here during our brutal summer.

So what are your favorite centuries? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-19, 10:10 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Horsey Hundred (Georgetown, KY). Don't let the unusual name disuade you from checking it out.
https://www.horseyhundred.com/

It's a Memorial Day weekend of 3 rides, but the century is on Saturday.
The extremely well supported event is held on beautiful twisting, turning, rising, falling roads in the gorgeous horse farm countryside near Lexington.
Lots to see and do before, during, and after the event weekend.
And of course southern hospitality is evident everywhere.
The only negative I've seen in the 7 years I've done the event is the blatant disregard for traffic laws or ignoring requests by organizers (and presumably farm owners) not to touch or feed the many horses you'll see.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 02-28-19, 10:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
In North Georgia...

6 Gap is iconic.

MACC One Love is an amazing event. These guys know how to run a century ride. Everyone raves.

Chattooga is lightly attended but the scenery is spectacular.

I always enjoy Up the Creek Without a Pedal and do it every year. Home made strawberry ice cream at the 85 mile rest stop.

Sadly, 3 State 3 Mountain out of Chattanooga is no more. That was one of the best rides I've ever done.

A self supported century on the Silver Comet Trail is relatively easy. I've probably done ten centuries on the trail. PM me if you plan to ride this.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-01-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 03:37 AM
VastCrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New England Parkinson Ride offers a 100 mile route. By far my favorite event! Well supported, great people, fabulous route, great views, some rolling hills. Located in Old Orchard Beach, southern part of Maine. Not within your 14 hour drive range but would certainly be considered the Northern states Always early September.

https://www.neparkinsonsride.com
https://www.facebook.com/neparkinsonsride
Old 03-01-19, 10:31 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
In North Georgia...

6 Gap is iconic.

MACC One Love is an amazing event. These guys know how to run a century ride. Everyone raves.

Chattooga is lightly attended but the scenery is spectacular.

I always enjoy Up the Creek Without a Pedal and do it every year.

Sadly, 3 State 3 Mountain out of Chattanooga is no more. That was one of the best rides I've ever done. Home made strawberry ice cream at the 85 mile rest stop.

A self supported century on the Silver Comet Trail is relatively easy. I've probably done ten centuries on the trail. PM me if you plan to ride this.

-Tim-
Thanks!! I'm penciling in MACC One Love and Chattooga. Have family in Kennesaw, so it's a good excuse to visit.

Up the Creek looks good too, but I already have a local century on the calendar that day, maybe next year.
Old 03-01-19, 05:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I loved the old Portland Century that ran into foothills of Mt Hood and the Bull Run watershed (10-15 years ago?). Also the Lolo Pass century with its incredible climb up Lolo Pass. Those dramatic centuries meant I forgot about the quiet,not nearly so dramatic Harvest Century though the Washington and Yamhill counties and farm country every September. Did it again after the Crater Lake Cycle Oregon was canceled due to the fires. The ride is a pure joy. Beautiful roads and country. Very well run by volunteers who do it for love and have been doing it a long time. Great food. Rode it and kept wondering "why did I ever stop?"

Now, if someone did Lolo Pass again, I'd be there in a flash. A lot of the lead up roads are not so nice but that climb is one of my all-time favorites. Well, it's been enough years since I did it, it might be too sobering, I held my HR at 164 all the way up it and had a 30 yo on the ropes. Those days are long gone.

Ben
Old 03-01-19, 06:22 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
6 Gap
Old 03-01-19, 07:10 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
If you like fast, the CRAM (Memorial Day Saturday) and Sunrise (Labor Day Saturday) Centuries start near Clarksville, TN and loop through southern Kentucky. It runs through Amish farm country. The draw here is the flatness of the course. Both are great for setting your fastest-ever Century time (especially the Labor Day ride, due to less wind). The course record for 100 miles, set in the organized elite peloton, is around three hours and forty minutes.

One on my list is in east Tennessee at Tellico Plains -- the Cherohala Challenge on June 8 this year. It takes in the famous Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. Two national forests and over 10,000 feet of climbing in 117 miles. Beautiful scenery on a world-famous stretch of convoluted road (318 curves in one 11 mile stretch).

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 03-01-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 07:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Thanks!! I'm penciling in MACC One Love and Chattooga. Have family in Kennesaw, so it's a good excuse to visit.

Up the Creek looks good too, but I already have a local century on the calendar that day, maybe next year.
I'm just down the road from Kennesaw in Acworth.

Let me know when you come up. We should get together.

-Tim-
Old 03-01-19, 07:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Also, for the OP, if you are willing to drive, Seagull Century in Salisbury, MD is great.

Welcome to Sea Gull Century - Sea Gull CenturySea Gull Century

-Tim-
Old 03-01-19, 08:33 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
If you visit New York in September; that's usually when the NYC Century is held:
Old 03-01-19, 09:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I don't do a lot of organized Century rides.

The Eugene Blackberry ride was fun. Mainly touring around local farmlands, and a few hills.

There is a 3 day "Tour de Lane" that does two century rides Friday/Saturday, and the Blackberry Century ride Sunday.

Cycle Oregon is a fully supported week long ride generally hitting different areas in the state. It is a huge event, and quite popular.

I did the American Lung Association "Reach the Beach" ride quite some time ago, but am rather upset that they changed the ride start location to be rather inconvenient for me. It also requires charity fundraising/sponsors, which is inconvenient for adults.
Old 03-02-19, 11:02 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Thanks folks! Almost all look interesting.

More from you people in the Midwest and way out west! Thanks.
Old 03-02-19, 12:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Not the midwest of further, but within your 14 hour drive time.

Natchez Trace Century Ride Sat May 4, 2019
https://runsignup.com/Race/MS/Ridgel...?remMeAttempt=
This was the first organized ride I ever rode and is still my favorite. Very good organization and support compared to the others I've done since. A good lunch after the ride and usually a pretty good dinner buffet or finger foods for the evening during the prize give-a-ways.

Or one I'm thinking about trying the week before for the first time.

Hattie Hundred Bike Ride Sat April 27, 2019
https://runsignup.com/Race/MS/Hattie...undredBikeRide
I've have ridden the Long Leaf Trace. It's 41 miles of paved railroad bed from the rails-to-trails projects, extending northwest of Hattiesburg MS to Prentiss MS. Being a former railroad there is nothing on it to call a hill.
Old 03-02-19, 03:50 PM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Might be a little out of your drive time, but consider these!

The Closer to Free Ride is one of my all-time favorites. It benefits the Smilow Cancer Center at Yale Hospital and has some beautiful views and awesome food.
Closer to Free Ride

While the Tour De Lyme isn't a Century Ride, it's one of the most beautiful rides I have ever been on. It's hilly, challenging and the views are spectacular. The countryside you'll see will take your breath away.
Tour De Lyme
Old 03-03-19, 07:57 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I would suggest The Assault on Mount Mitchell in Spartanburg, South Carolina and The Cheaha Challenge/Ultra in Jacksonville, Alabama. I've done Six Gap multiple times and AOMM is harder, mostly due to about 6,500 ft. of climbing coming in the last 27 miles. It's a unique ride in that you must be bused back down the mountain to either Marion or Spartanburg.

Cheaha, especially the Ultra, is very scenic but has sadistic climbing upwards of 13,000 ft. Both events are in May. I think they are in back to back days. Cheaha is on a Sunday and AOMM is on Monday. Heck, do both. Let me know how it goes. The Ultra was brutal last year as temps approached 90 with high humidity.

Both rides are top shelf as far as organization and support. Six Gap is too. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 03-05-19, 11:27 AM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by dieselgoat
I would suggest The Assault on Mount Mitchell in Spartanburg, South Carolina and The Cheaha Challenge/Ultra in Jacksonville, Alabama. I've done Six Gap multiple times and AOMM is harder, mostly due to about 6,500 ft. of climbing coming in the last 27 miles. It's a unique ride in that you must be bused back down the mountain to either Marion or Spartanburg.

Cheaha, especially the Ultra, is very scenic but has sadistic climbing upwards of 13,000 ft. Both events are in May. I think they are in back to back days. Cheaha is on a Sunday and AOMM is on Monday. Heck, do both. Let me know how it goes. The Ultra was brutal last year as temps approached 90 with high humidity.

Both rides are top shelf as far as organization and support. Six Gap is too. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Interesting you mentioned the Cheeha Challenge. My wife and I did some hiking in northern Alabama two years ago and loved it. And some of the folks from my local cycling club are doing the Cheeha Challenge this year. I won't be able to go, but I was looking at either that or the 6 Gap for next year-- maybe both. But I have a lot of work to do on hills before I attempt those rides.
Old 03-05-19, 12:28 PM
SkepticCyclist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride (around Lake Tahoe in Nevada): https://www.bikethewest.com/americas...ful-bike-ride/

If you're already in Arizona for other reasons, Tour de Tucson is well-organized and is a fun ride.
Old 03-05-19, 12:31 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I haven't done an organized century for awhile. However, my favorite of all that I've done is the Crater Lake Century -- I think I've done it 10 times.

It provides a bit of challenge without being epic, the scenery is top notch pretty much all the way with a nice mixture of agricultural land, woods, climbs, lake/alpine views, and descents. Number of participants is limited, so you never get the rolling zoo phenomenon. Here's a video I made of one of the trips. It does a reasonable job of conveying the ride.

One thing I might observe though is that there's a leg that goes out and back that are basically junk miles just to push the mileage over 100 -- they offer nothing that can't be found in the rest of the ride. So unless hitting that 100 number is important to you, I'd just chop off those 20 miles.

This would be a long trip for you, but I don't even know how many different ones I've done, and this one is a standout. Plus, early morning and nighttime temps can drop below freezing even in late August
Old 03-05-19, 08:59 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Another ride in central Kentucky, taking place in the same area as the Horsey Hundred, is the Bourbon Country Burn on the last weekend of September. https://www.bourboncountryburn.com/#what
I rode last year and had a great time. Even though my legs were not prepared for the hills of Kentucky, the scenery, the horses, and the people made it all worthwhile. Also there was bourbon. My wife and I stayed an extra day to take in a couple more distilleries.

Crossing into Bourbon County Ky.

Last edited by Pompiere; 03-05-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 07:17 PM
Bassmanbob

Any other favorite century rides by anyone?

I'm starting a spread sheet with the rides, elevation, distance from my home and when the ride is.
Old 03-11-19, 08:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
There is a thread in C&V on it. Great organization and support. Bargain for what you get. Beautiful scenery. I am a flatlander, but manage to get up the mountain with enough gearing.

The 75 is more tiring to me. The 100 gives you a chance to get on the big ring/small cogs some and air it out. Now if you were not in a hurry getting there or going home, you could take a couple of days in the Central Va area and get some more good riding in. You could take some rides on and around the Virginia Capital Trail. Also could do some hiking in the Blue Ridge. It could be a good vacation.

The 10th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge - May 19, 2019 - Storming of Thunder Ridge Storming of Thunder Ridge - www.stormingofthunderridge.org

https://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org/

Last edited by seypat; 03-11-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 01:23 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Thanks folks! Almost all look interesting.

More from you people in the Midwest and way out west! Thanks.
I'm riding both America's Most Beautiful Ride in Tahoe and the Death Ride in Markleeville this year for the first time. Both are legendary out west.
Old 03-13-19, 01:11 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
There is a thread in C&V on it. Great organization and support. Bargain for what you get. Beautiful scenery. I am a flatlander, but manage to get up the mountain with enough gearing.

The 75 is more tiring to me. The 100 gives you a chance to get on the big ring/small cogs some and air it out. Now if you were not in a hurry getting there or going home, you could take a couple of days in the Central Va area and get some more good riding in. You could take some rides on and around the Virginia Capital Trail. Also could do some hiking in the Blue Ridge. It could be a good vacation.

The 10th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge - May 19, 2019 - Storming of Thunder Ridge Storming of Thunder Ridge - www.stormingofthunderridge.org

https://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org/
Is it wrong that this thread is giving me excuses to visit family?? Also have some family in VA, so might do Thunder Ridge too!
Old 03-13-19, 03:30 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Big Dam Bridge 100 in Little Rock is fantastic. Great support, good roads, hard climbs, official timing, friendly folks. Big recommend. Its in September.

This year that same weekend is the BBC 100 in Birmingham. I've not done it but had a friend move there and he says its one of the best he's done, if a bit smaller in overall attendance. I'm actually headed there this year. Some serious climbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.