Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

N-1 (a big one )

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

N-1 (a big one )

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 12:38 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
she has never seemed as excited as me about the house.
I'm OCD to the point I had to have custom base and case milled for the project as stock profiles and widths weren't doing it for me, --- and I've been busting my butt with work so I can trim it out with "boutique" appliances instead of GE or Whirlpool and she has said before -- "What does it matter?"
basically I was building the house with the same mindset that I would have in building a custom bicycle
I'm just a scientist with limited interpersonal skills, but I think you identified part of the problem. You are going about this like it is your custom bike. It needs to be her customizations (or, ideally, shared customizations). She needs to feel invested in it.

I hope things work out. We just got to year 20. Somehow.
Old 12-26-16, 12:54 PM
Wordwreckin
Young Vintage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a young C&Ver who hasn't started a family or marriage yet I'd like to thank you for sharing this. I'm not going to get long winded here but seeing a man move through his struggles with fortitude and pride is strangely moving. In a sort of modern man struggle type of way that all of us can relate to. Good luck in the upcoming year and keep fighting!
Old 12-26-16, 12:55 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I was raised in Lawton as a Fort Sill army brat. I didn't get back into bicycling until I was in my mid-thirties and living in Iowa. I have wanted to ride the Wichita Mountains including up Mt Scott for many years. I used to party there heavily back in the day. I haven't had a Meers burger since high school. Memories......

I hope things work out for you Okie!
Old 12-26-16, 01:16 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMC707
Its been a bit over 6 months since I last looked at this thread ----- I just wanted to re-open it to update you good folks who had given me excellent advice

I just re-read it, -- @D1andonlyDman 's quip about the election proved prophetic -- Now we have a large orange man heading to the white house

-- Doug McBride

Sometimes, being right actually sucks
Old 12-26-16, 02:49 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
My wife and I have just reached our 20th anniversary (Dec. 21th). It has been a wild ride at times, but she and I are both stubborn and that has lead to some nasty disagreements over the years. It has also helped to keep us together through the rough times. She won't quit on me and I won't quit on her.

I guess I'm writing this to say that you have my sympathy and support. I know that when I have hurt my wife in the past or done something that upsets her for whatever reason, it pains me terribly to the point where I can't function properly until the issue is resolved.

I hope things work out the way you want them to and that you have another positive update for us soon. If I may humbly offer a small bit of advise; balance in life is the key. If the string is too tight it will break, too loose and the guitar will not play. There is always another hill to climb. And another to descend.

Best regards,

-Shin
Old 12-26-16, 02:55 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Just started going through this same thing in October. Well, moved out in Oct, we started talking about it in August. Not fun, but I am learning quite a bit about myself and a relationship I have spent 18 years in. There was lots of love, but lots of dysfuntion. I am learning that I need to be a more whole, confident person to be able to do a relationship justice. I hope it is with her, but it's very much up in the air and it might not make sense or be healthy for us to get together. We'll see. I am rooting for you, and myself. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 12-26-16, 08:05 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I hope things work out. We just got to year 20. Somehow.
That in and of itself, in today's trying times - is a huge life achievement. Thanks for the vote of confidence !

Originally Posted by Wordwreckin
As a young C&Ver who hasn't started a family or marriage yet I'd like to thank you for sharing this. I'm not going to get long winded here but seeing a man move through his struggles with fortitude and pride is strangely moving. In a sort of modern man struggle type of way that all of us can relate to. Good luck in the upcoming year and keep fighting!
Thanks for the great feedback ---- I have the patience to keep fighting , but there is a thin line between fighting, and just beating your head against a wall -- I only hope I am sane enough to recognize that if it gets there

Originally Posted by deephate
I was raised in Lawton as a Fort Sill army brat. I didn't get back into bicycling until I was in my mid-thirties and living in Iowa. I have wanted to ride the Wichita Mountains including up Mt Scott for many years. I used to party there heavily back in the day. I haven't had a Meers burger since high school. Memories......

I hope things work out for you Okie!
Thank you, and I hope you can get back here to tame the mountain some day --- in truth, compared to other states that have real mountain ranges, I know its not much, --- but can give a guy a real quick test of fitness to see where he's at (Mt Scott that is) -- its not terribly steep, but something about how the road is graded makes it seem worse than it is

--- The Meers store is still there, --- I'm on a "No Sugar, No Grains" diet but can stop in there when I'm in the area and pick up 5 or 6 patties to take home with me to use - delicious

Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Sometimes, being right actually sucks
Truth is stranger than fiction in these times we are living in

Originally Posted by High Fist Shin
. If I may humbly offer a small bit of advise; balance in life is the key. If the string is too tight it will break, too loose and the guitar will not play. There is always another hill to climb. And another to descend.

Best regards,

-Shin
That's a great analogy - thanks Shin
Old 12-27-16, 12:43 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
It sounds to me like you're very used to taking care of her and she's reached a point where she just wants to know she can take care of herself.

I think she's searching for her whole and separate self. Which is good, don't get me wrong, it's just that it may be what she needs is to be sure she's a complete and whole individual.

I dunno. Sometimes relationships are an immiscible fog to me.

Harv
Old 12-27-16, 06:52 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not worth more than the energy expended to read this, but I will offer up my thoughts based on 40+ years of marriage. Give this your best shot, as long as there is no domestic violence involved, and I doubt that is the case 100%. You already have a good deal of time invested with your wife, I wouldn't let that go because of your personal preferences about things like furnishings and such.

I am of a similar mind set to you, I want things totally correct, and I tend to look for the best thing I can afford to buy no matter what it is. I had to learn that my wife has a reason for her preferences, and it is usually from a sound thinking basis. So, I channel my OCD into my work and my bicycles, even my company truck will do when I need to make things as correct as possible. (And right now the company truck isn't cooperating at all.)

Its going to be up to you and her, all of these replies are just organized electrons. It will be interesting to follow along and see what both of you decide to do in the future. Best of luck with your efforts, I'm hoping for a happy result.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-27-16, 07:56 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by tricky
. I am learning that I need to be a more whole, confident person to be able to do a relationship justice.------------. I am rooting for you, and myself. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks Tricky, ----

I've had to (and still am ) going through the same steps

--- trying to get to know yourself as an individual, and be happy by yourself , can be hard work ----
Old 12-28-16, 07:31 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Although this is very sad , OK now I'm just joking around like I always do and I get in trouble for it but here goes .
First off Veolminati rule # 12 clearly states your predicament is not n+1 but s-1 . I think that will help .
Second you must adhere to Velominati rule # 1 and #4 and then #5 .Only after that will you undestand rule #11
Third , and this is just my personal thought buy a really expensive C&V bike and then you will attract a woman(s) that will appreciate you . Happy New Year .
Velominati ? The Rules

Last edited by markwesti; 12-28-16 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 07:40 PM
DMC707

Epilogue

It is interesting to re-read this thread I started 3 years ago.

The outpouring of great advice was not expected and I remember receiving PM's from some of you good folk for months afterward to check on me. A lot of you are like my extended digital family and ive met a handful

I was always a "Steel is real" guy, - even before most steel bikes became C&V , but my generation was the first to go whole hog for aluminum then carbon. I raced crits on a steel DeBernardi when everyone else either used a Canondale or a carbon tubed Specialized Epic or something similar.

However it was not until this episode - the dissolution of a 14 year marriage -- that I jumped into C&V whole hog

It was therapeutic to put together a new bike -- the whole process, from the research, to looking for parts on ebay and here, chasing down "parts bikes" from CL, and waiting patiently for stuff to arrive from ebay, not to mention putting together some fun bikes and ultimately enjoying them for a few rides.

Now the garage is overflowing and I am starting to look around at my "therapy bikes" and I realize I don't really have the time to enjoy each and every one of them as they deserve. They served their purpose to me and got me through a hard time. I'll advertise here when I re-up and get my yellow jersey status back, but until then I am trying to sell as much as I can locally to not deal with the shipping right now
That said, a lot of garage time means for me, a lot of beer time too

Whether we want it to or not , life has a way of happening and I was hit upside the head soundly by a sledgehammer about a year ago

The sledgehammer is about 5'8 and back then just needed help boarding an unruly dog for a couple of weeks. Since I have a lot of space , I said sure.
I wasn't looking for a relationship again --- I was still admittedly pretty miserable then and didn't have my eyes open for one, but eventually she asked me out.

It hasn't been an easy courtship because I am very stubborn and so is she, but on Valentines Day I asked her to marry me and she accepted (surprisingly) ---

Im keeping a few of my favorites, but this young lady has a common desire that I have about having a family someday so I would like to concentrate on getting rid of the aforementioned "therapy bikes" that are a reminder of a dark couple of years for me and instead fill the garage with striders and little training wheel equipped machines in their place someday.
She got me back in church, beer consumption is down to about a quarter what it once was and im down about 50 pounds too. ITs not perfect as we both carry some battle scars from our previous lives but

Wish me luck gents. I didn't get the outcome I wanted on this one when I started the thread 3 years ago, but im hoping I got the outcome I needed ! time will tell

I may reduce the pedal powered fleet a bit, but I feel like im "back to N" in a big way in other ways

Last edited by DMC707; 03-15-19 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 07:50 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
That is a great story. It’s amazing how when one door shuts another one opens. Congratulations and I wish you all the happiness and joy I can.
Old 03-15-19, 09:19 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Does the lovely lady know you call her the sledgehammer?
Best wishes to the bride and congratulations to you!
Old 03-15-19, 11:09 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Does the lovely lady know you call her the sledgehammer?
Best wishes to the bride and congratulations to you!
I really think she'd be flattered in a way (at being referred to as a sledgehammer-- her name is Christy though, and im Doug ) and I am going to share this thread with her because after a year she still doesn't know how important the cycling community is to me, whether online or my local friends
She was a track sprinter as a younger gal so I know she would kick my butt at anything physical with a modicum of training .

To apply another sports reference, I have "outkicked my coverage" and while she doesn't share my love of hardcore cycling, I look forward to spending days riding beach cruisers and tandems with her and having fun
Old 03-15-19, 11:44 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations and prayers for many new and exciting adventures together!!!
Old 03-16-19, 05:52 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Wow tough situation, been there, done that.
We're men, our natural instincts make us hunt and work. Except now we hunt bikes and workout. Sometimes we can become obsessive over things. So we step back and take a look and when we don't ,we sometimes lose sight of the big picture. There are only three things that really ultimately matter in life: your family, your friends and your job. We as human males sometimes need to be reminded of that. Maybe her leaving is just a reminder.
In my previous relationship, It was a painful divorce. I wondered how or if I would ever get over it. It felt like no one could possibly understand the pain I was going through. A friend of mine actually said to me he thinks everyone gets what they deserve in life, I think it was his way if saying stop your whining. I eventually started dating, then eventually enjoyed dating (good times). And suffice it to say now I'm happier than I've ever been even at 53. I got a new wife,I got a new life and my 21 month old baby is fine. I know it hurts but hang in there and things will get better,guaranteed.
So I heard this story: The son was upset/depressed his girlfriend had broking up with him. So finally the father intervened and said what would you do if your girlfriend had to move to China? The son thought and replied just deal with it, to which the father said then Deal with it.
Good luck, just remember you're tougher than any hurt you feel.
I reposted cause I was Right!
WOO-HOO! Congratulations.
My daughter is now 4 years old and my wife is as beautiful as ever.
The times that I've disappointed myself in the past have been the times I didn't adhere to my martial arts principles of Flexibility, Balance and Awareness. And that my physical, mental, and spiritual state are of equal importance.
Good luck and Enjoy.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-16-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 07:08 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Beautiful follow up to a frustrating affair..... Wishing you both a happy, fulfilling and long life together...:-)
Old 03-16-19, 07:05 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Best reason, EVER, to bump an old thread. So happy happy happy for you.
All the best,
Les
Old 03-16-19, 07:28 PM
ed4406

Bikes: Fuji Finest, Trek 460, 970, Miyata One Ten, Maruishi 606, Univega Alpina Uno LX, Browning Grade V

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a great update. Congratulations on weathering the storm!
Old 03-16-19, 07:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Congrats!

I'm sure you already know this, but you're in a much better relationship now.