Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Is It About Cycling?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Is It About Cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 10:26 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Having a wide range of interest in bicycles, a great satisfaction is preserving or salvage an old lightweight and also the physical ability to yet ride them. I don't think it would be the same feeling if I couldn't.

Equally great is getting into a hard or challenging ride, to experience the bike as it was designed for.

The nostalgia, good-bad and the ugly- an awesome humbling fun time. Could be even the study of old parts, tires, gearing, shifters etc - just do it. Having a flat or two during a warm summer rain. Toe clips, that kind of thing.

Here's a couple of bike shop dumpster stuff of which they had no interest in. Top was just the frameset and the other was a complete.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-26-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 10:46 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
There is something almost hypnotizing about gliding along on a bike. I also think it is the perfect pace for seeing the world, slow enough the be able to enjoy the scenery in detail (and almost always easy enough to pull over and stop for scenery you want to linger over) but fast enough to have a constantly evolving menu of sights - unless you are riding the Great Salt Desert or some such, which makes for pretty monotonous scenery viewing at any speed.
This pretty much sums it up for me. The pace( at least mine) that you travel is perfect. You're going somewhere, but not to fast to enjoy your surroundings. All your senses are aware because you are not enclosed and making very little noise.
Old 04-26-19, 01:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I really don't like anything about them, but I don't have much else to do.
Old 04-26-19, 01:49 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Having a wide range of interest in bicycles, a great satisfaction is preserving or salvage an old lightweight and also the physical ability to yet ride them. I don't think it would be the same feeling if I couldn't.

Equally great is getting into a hard or challenging ride, to experience the bike as it was designed for.

The nostalgia, good-bad and the ugly- an awesome humbling fun time. Could be even the study of old parts, tires, gearing, shifters etc - just do it. Having a flat or two during a warm summer rain. Toe clips, that kind of thing.

Here's a couple of bike shop dumpster stuff of which they had no interest in. Top was just the frameset and the other was a complete.

My eyes would have jumped out of their sockets if I saw that Zunow in the trash. How's it ride?

I agree about the working on bikes stuff too, there's something really satisfying about putting together the right combination of parts and fitting adjustments to really bring a frame to life and make it sing. I also find it fascinating, the endless variations of ride quality from various frames using various geometries and materials. Even how much the ride from different steel bikes can vary from one to another.
Old 04-26-19, 02:02 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Cycling is not driving. Today, I drove. Driving sucks. I just got back. Don't talk to me.
This.
Old 04-26-19, 02:05 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
In addition to all of the physical benefits, there are those of us who experience a spiritual dimension to cycling. It's my moving meditation.
Old 04-26-19, 02:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Whatever it is, young people these days evidently don't "get it". I can't remember that last time I saw a school-age kid riding a bike in my area. It seems as though riding a bike, especially an old steel road bike, is about the uncoolest thing someone their age could possibly do!

The good part is that vintage bike prices will continue to plummet. At this rate, in 5-10 more years, no used bike will be worth more than $100, regardless of brand or quality.
Its not the kids, its the parents who spoiled them believing that any amount of activity makes them lower class. They even took fizz Ed and made it just a break time period. Kids can choose to be active or just sit it out. That was an adult decision, not one the kids had the ability to make. This constant barrage of PC is not always a good thing.
Old 04-26-19, 03:09 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Its not the kids, its the parents who spoiled them believing that any amount of activity makes them lower class. They even took fizz Ed and made it just a break time period. Kids can choose to be active or just sit it out. That was an adult decision, not one the kids had the ability to make. This constant barrage of PC is not always a good thing.
I taught my niece and nephew (children of my wife's brother) how to ride: Lord knows their parents weren't going to do it. It took 20 minutes, tops, before they could pedal on their own. As they were cheerfully riding around the school parking lot we used, my nephew stopped and exclaimed: "I'm sweating!" (The tone was one of surprise and concern, not happiness.) All I could say was: "Good!" He looked confused.

I don't get to see them very much, and haven't seen them at their home for four years or more. If their bikes are not sitting on their patio unused, rusted, cobwebbed, and unrideable, I would be shocked. Their parents would be angry and defensive if they heard me say this, but they have done virtually nothing to encourage their kids to physically active.
Old 04-26-19, 03:12 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

That is exactly how a Zunow should look - like it survived an explosion in a paint factory.
Old 04-26-19, 03:16 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
It's my moving meditation.

exactly....
Old 04-26-19, 03:26 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Clearly you're not riding hard enough.
LOL! The key word is AFTER.

Actually, I like the riding, too. Sometimes, the bike just disappears under me - this is as close to flying as I will ever get.
Old 04-26-19, 03:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
I feel like a better person when I'm riding.
Old 04-29-19, 12:03 PM
Emkay312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Cycling is not driving. Today, I drove. Driving sucks. I just got back. Don't talk to me.
I know that feeling, but for me it is carthartic. Every time I do it which I can't right now, as my trike is in France and I am not, the World, it's people and me just feel nicer.
Old 04-29-19, 04:48 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
As one currently sardine-canned in an El train on the way home from work due to heavy rain this morning, there's nothing so freeing as being master of your own commuting destiny on a bike.

So, there's that.
Likes For bear_a_bug:
Old 04-29-19, 04:56 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Whatever it is, young people these days evidently don't "get it". I can't remember that last time I saw a school-age kid riding a bike in my area. It seems as though riding a bike, especially an old steel road bike, is about the uncoolest thing someone their age could possibly do!

The good part is that vintage bike prices will continue to plummet. At this rate, in 5-10 more years, no used bike will be worth more than $100, regardless of brand or quality.
I haven't done much group riding in a long time, but there were rarely any young people on rides. Mostly over 40. I've suspected that $2,500 being an "entry level" bike may have something to do with it. On the other hand, I hope my vintage steel doesn't become worthless!
Old 04-29-19, 08:57 PM
BarryCW

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
It is autumn in New Zealand. In an hour I will have finished work. I have already planned what bike I will ride at dusk around a local 30km loop. In that hour or so I will see mountains, sunset, the Tasman Sea, farmland. I will loose my work mind, open my lungs and pump my legs. I will feel blood flow and my temperature rise as the cold air descends from the local Paparoa Range making the air thicker. I will likely scare a hawk feeding on prey in a roadside drain and for a moment we will both move at the same speed. I will be reminded of how good it is to be old and fit while at the same time be reminded of my own limitations as I "attack" a gentle rise. I will once again marvel at the sweet sound of perfectly tuned gears, lubed chain and quality tyres and the natural posture while in the drops. I will probably find myself struggling to hit form somewhere on that loop as I again be reminded how tough this sport is. In the 8km straights home I will find a perfect cadence and marvel at all thinks bike. I will eat and sleep well. I can't wait. See ya later. PS (It will be the Miyata ninetwelve)
Likes For BarryCW:
Old 04-29-19, 09:12 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Nicely written @BarryCW!

Brent
Old 04-29-19, 11:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Physically, mentally and mechanically challenging and satisfying all under your own power.
Old 04-30-19, 06:42 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
In Bill Strickland's The Quotable Cyclist, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is quoted from an 1896 Scientific American article:

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

Now that's vintage!
Old 04-30-19, 02:33 PM
RiderBill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikeoholism is a dangerous, wallet disfiguring disease. We play in traffic and spend money on expensive bike paraphernalia that we don't need, can't afford, but buy anyway, because it's cool. We are cyclologically impaired.
Old 04-30-19, 07:56 PM
Glennr134

Bikes: 1968 Hercules 10spd. 1971 Raleigh Grand prix 12spd. Bridgstone 10spd, BSA 12 spd. 1872 Rudge high wheel 1987 Schwinn super sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I love the feel of the bike and the rush of the wind as you ride. Makes me feel like a 12 year old again. As a youngster, my bike was a magic carpet that could take me anywhere. I also love the satisfaction of bringing an old machine back to life again. We both are happy , I feel.
Likes For Glennr134:
Old 04-30-19, 11:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennr134
I love the feel of the bike and the rush of the wind as you ride. Makes me feel like a 12 year old again. As a youngster, my bike was a magic carpet that could take me anywhere. I also love the satisfaction of bringing an old machine back to life again. We both are happy , I feel.
Well said. Its one of the few things in life I enjoy as much today as I did with my first ride so long ago.