Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Rules

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Rules

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 08:11 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Uggggg,,,,,,

I know Phil. I saw this linked in other places today and didn't actually take the time to watch.

Yes, Phil - we get it. I agree on some points but I fee like your Millenial soft bits are showing on the rest of it.

Roadie ethos is roadie ethos for a reason. It's not a cake walk. Not everyone deserves a medal. A gran fondo isn't a race either.

We agree on a lot: Wave - don't be a d***. Strava is a joke - if you want to race then pin a number on- until then you're a make believe person with a suspect file on the internet - vaporware. Don't litter. I don't care if you have matching stuff. Everyone riding a bike is a good thing. Helmets are up to the rider (really why the f does anyone ever helmet shame someone?! They know. They made their choice. You're not their dad.).

hrmmm... so what do I actually disagree with..... It's OK to be a roadie. It's OK to tell someone they're slow. It's OK to pull someone from a race because they are "out of contention" - It's not an adventure to be achieved , it's a race and you lost.

Here's where everything in the roadie ethos went off the rails - when we started interpreting everything that wasn't 100% supportive as shaming. You want a bunch of high fives and cheers when you do something and suck at it then go do a 5K, triathlon, etc. If you can handle being told, "Yeah, you're not fast. You didn't win and you need a lot of training to be competitive" then welcome to road.

There's places for acceptance and need for acceptance at all costs. Then there are competitive areas. I choose to be in a competitive area. Road cycling/racing is that area.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 05-10-19, 01:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
May as well tell the typical member on here to sprout wings and take flight. By my estimation, a healthy-sized chunk of the active posters on this forum do not ride bicycles at all.
By my estimation, a healthy-sized chunk of the active posters on this forum do not work as much as their bosses would like.
Old 05-10-19, 01:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
By my estimation, a healthy-sized chunk of the active posters on this forum do not work as much as their bosses would like.
How would their bosses know? They are probably doing the same.
Old 05-10-19, 01:22 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
How would their bosses know? They are probably doing the same.

I can attest to this. My bikeforums usage increased when I went to management