Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Pedals for gravel/pavement mix ?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Pedals for gravel/pavement mix ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 08:01 AM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I just recently ordered iSSi Flash III SPD compatible pedals.
I was going to go with Crank Brothers Candy 7, but I ended up seeing a brand new set if the iSSi pedals pop up on eBay for about half off. These will be paired with fi’zi:k Terra X5 shoes.
This will be my first experience using clipless, but from what I’ve been reading this should be a pretty good all-around setup.
Old 05-05-19, 10:02 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I just use old Crank Brothers Candies that I've had forever & got secondhand at that.
They seem to thrive in neglect and abuse
Old 05-05-19, 03:43 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I think I might need new shoes, but Time ATAC pedals have been treating me good for a number of years (also did duty on a fixed gear where I appreciated the reduction in premature ejection I used to experience with SPDs).
Old 05-07-19, 02:29 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I have two setups. One bike.

Road: Look cleats and Giro E70 carbon shoes.
Off Road: Shimano M520's and Fizik Terra X-5.

Buuuuut. I'm lazy and just leave the off road setup on. I miss the look's and stiffer Giro shoes when I'm on the road, I love the play in the M520's and walking around in the Fizik's when I'm off road.
Old 05-08-19, 01:26 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Speedplay Frogs for road and gravel. Flats for mountain. I can't see how anyone would have trouble with Frogs. So easy.
Old 05-15-19, 06:31 AM
Badstoob

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put a set of Raceface Chesters on my gravel bike, simply because I anticipate doing some hiking and walking around so Im cycling with some trail shoes. I have a set of Shimano spd pedals to fit should I choose to go clipless but right now I don't see the point.
Old 05-15-19, 07:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I can't see how anyone would have trouble with Frogs. So easy.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I even use them for MTB because they are so fast and easy to get in and out of. I can dab a foot and be clipped back in by the end of the next pedal stroke. I have always been surprised that they never caught on with more people. I guess the pedaling-on-ice-cubes thing is pretty freaky at first.
Old 05-15-19, 08:18 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Frogs have crappy mud clearance which is probably why they never caught on. Probably ok for gravel though if you dont have a lot of walking to do
Old 05-15-19, 08:31 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yeah, I feel the same way. I even use them for MTB because they are so fast and easy to get in and out of. I can dab a foot and be clipped back in by the end of the next pedal stroke. I have always been surprised that they never caught on with more people. I guess the pedaling-on-ice-cubes thing is pretty freaky at first.
I bought Frogs for my road bikes and I installed them on my gravel bike. I ride on several MUTs and sometimes I like to stop and walk around. Mountain shoes and Frogs are very practical for this, unlike road shoes and cleats. My mountain bike has flats... but I could easily ride it with Frogs.
Old 05-15-19, 03:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by redlude97
Frogs have crappy mud clearance which is probably why they never caught on. Probably ok for gravel though if you dont have a lot of walking to do
Interesting because I have heard this a lot, but I have actually found the exact opposite. I find them to be pretty much self-clearing because I slide forward into them rather than pushing down into them. In 20 years of mountain biking I have never had any issues in mud. And I live on the east coast, so I see plenty of it.

EDIT: actually I think it was 2000 that I started using them (SPDs before that), so its actually only 19 years.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-15-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 03:45 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Interesting because I have heard this a lot, but I have actually found the exact opposite. I find them to be pretty much self-clearing because I slide forward into them rather than pushing down into them. In 20 years of mountain biking I have never had any issues in mud. And I live on the east coast, so I see plenty of it.

EDIT: actually I think it was 2000 that I started using them (SPDs before that), so its actually only 19 years.
If they work for you great. No one uses them in the PNW for cyclocross because of that issue. Speedplay came out with the syzr for that reason so at least they consider it a problem. In our races we are usually talking about fully submerged shoes in tacky mud similar to peanut butter
Old 05-16-19, 06:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by redlude97
If they work for you great. No one uses them in the PNW for cyclocross because of that issue
Well to fair, hardly anyone uses them anywhere. I see - at most - a couple sets out on the trail each year.

They are so rare that it surprises me that they still even make them.