Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Defending Yourself

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Defending Yourself

Old 05-24-19, 11:18 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
This is a serious discussion for the men on Bike Forums. Not the little boys.

There are are three basic questions.

1) Have you ever been assaulted while riding? What happened and what did you do?

2) What measures have you taken to defend yourself and how far are you willing to go?

3) This one is personally important to me. If you primarily ride on one particular Bike Path at specific times, sunrise and sunset, and were assaulted one evening on that Bike Path, would you just avoid that section of the Bike Path in the evening, which is the only time they would be there, or would you ride anytime and anywhere you wanted even though it might mean defending yourself using very drastic measures?
1. Never been assaulted while riding.
2. I don't take any measures to defend myself.
3. I would still ride there at that given time.
Old 05-24-19, 11:31 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
A tad off topic. Last year a friend was over and we were discussing my annual ride out of Alberta back into the states through the Canadian Rockies. I explained about having bear spray as a precaution and showed him a can that I had brought home. We went into the back yard as it was a calm evening and I end a short blast at a tree several yards away to show how far it would spray the cloud. My wife was on the back steps behind us observing. About 15 seconds later I heard her coughing and scrambling to get back into the house. I followed quickly to ensure that she was okay and ended up getting caught in some myself. Not much but enough to let me know that I would not want to get a full shot of it anywhere near me.
Pepper spray is the gift that keeps on giving. I've been hit with it once and it was rough for probably 20 minutes or so. The worst part was 5 or 6 hours later I jumped in the shower and the warm water activated (or lack of a better term) it again, but I think it was worse. I'd much rather be tased any day that's only a 5 second ride each time.

Oh and whatever you do don't wipe your pepper sprayed forehead with a gloved hand and then touch any sensitive parts of your anatomy it will transfer.
Likes For 88Tempo:
Old 05-24-19, 11:33 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Trying to figure out the point of the OP's opening sentence. Are you really looking for information? What's the point of this being for "men" and not "little boys?"

Anyone who's never been assaulted is a "little boy?" Only real men get assaulted? Or do only real men defend themselves? Where are you hoping for this thread to go?

What about women? Are they not allowed to chime in here?
There is nothing inherently evil about division of the sexes; and all threads don't have to be politically correct. You can always make a similar topic dedicate it to women, if you feel the need for equal time.
Old 05-24-19, 11:38 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Tempo
Pepper spray is the gift that keeps on giving. I've been hit with it once and it was rough for probably 20 minutes or so. The worst part was 5 or 6 hours later I jumped in the shower and the warm water activated (or lack of a better term) it again, but I think it was worse. I'd much rather be tased any day that's only a 5 second ride each time.

Oh and whatever you do don't wipe your pepper sprayed forehead with a gloved hand and then touch any sensitive parts of your anatomy it will transfer.
You get used to pepper spray. It's pretty mild compared to some of the military/police grade stuff out there.

If you spray it on someone who is used to it (which can happen if we're talking about someone who's assault a random stranger) odds are you're just going to make them angrier.
Old 05-24-19, 11:48 AM
88Tempo

There were probably 40-50 of us that got sprayed and only 4 or 5 it didn't really bother. I couldn't open my eyes, but I could of wrestled someone as long as I could of grabbed them.

Buddy of mine was smoking a cigarette not 20 minutes after catching a shot right in the face. He hated the taser though which I didn't find that big of a deal.
Old 05-24-19, 11:54 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
touch any sensitive parts of your anatomy it will transfer.
OT... I cut habeneros without gloves once. Learned the hard way.
Old 05-24-19, 11:56 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
There is nothing inherently evil about division of the sexes; and all threads don't have to be politically correct. You can always make a similar topic dedicate it to women, if you feel the need for equal time.
Evil? How did you get that from my post?

The OP started this thread with an antagonistic sentence about being a man or a little boy. Seems like an absurd way to invite reasonable discourse. And no, I don't feel the need to start a topic asking if women have outgrown their little girl panties based on how they would handle a personal assault.
Likes For MMACH 5:
Old 05-24-19, 11:59 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bakerjw
OT... I cut habeneros without gloves once. Learned the hard way.
Palms are pretty thick in most cases. Just don't forget to wash your hands. If you rub your eyes you'll be sorry.

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
You get used to pepper spray. It's pretty mild compared to some of the military/police grade stuff out there.

If you spray it on someone who is used to it (which can happen if we're talking about someone who's assault a random stranger) odds are you're just going to make them angrier.
Getting use to it doesn't mean it has no effect. It just might not be as intense as the first time. I recently cooked up a batch of pepper spray to rid pests from my garden. The tiny vapor particles alone were enough to send my nasal passage into full running faucet mode.

I shudder to think how it would have effected me had I been hit in the face with a direct dose. This stuff was powerful, and I was only using medium grade habanero I had grown. You correct in that its effects are not instantaneous, unless you get hit in the eyes.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-24-19 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-19, 12:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
It's just curious that the OP chose to scope the question that way. Sounds like he's feeling his manhood was challenged by the incident and he's looking for reassurance along those lines.

Otherwise, the question would be as simple as "How would you defend yourself?"
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-24-19, 12:08 PM
88Tempo

1. Never been assaulted while riding. Worst thing that ever happened was someone threw a mason jar at me. I'd got in a fight with him and his brother a few days earlier. I was in high school at the time. I knew where he was going and headed there, but he left before I managed to pedal my way up the hill.

2. In this case I was going to give the guy a good beat down.

3. Discretion is the better part of valor. Back in my younger and considerably wilder days a fight wasn't a big deal today it's a last resort kind of thing.
Old 05-24-19, 12:12 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Getting use to it doesn't mean it has no effect. It just might not be as intense as the first time. I recently cooked up a batch of pepper spray to ride pests from my garden. The tiny vapor particles alone were enough to send my nasal passage into full running faucet mode.

I shudder to think how it would have effected me had I been hit in the fact with a direct dose. This stuff was powerful, and I was only using medium grade habanero I had grown. You correct in that its effects are not instantaneous, unless you get hit in the eyes.
The worst part of pepper spray is the shock value. If you've been hit with it multiple time you can overcome the shock value and just ignore the snot faucet for a minute while you continue to attack. (Speaking from the perspective of an assailant)

And we're not even talking about the assailant who's on certain drugs. Someone who's high on a variety of things may not even know you hit them with the pepper spray. They will just keep coming at you.

Now, personally....I try to avoid areas where people who are tripping on PCP and bath salts hang out. It's not like they are on every corner. But they are in some places that people ride. And you can't bank on pepper spray stopping them.
Old 05-24-19, 12:32 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so, the question in my mind is has the OP (original poster) ridden the same mup since the incident, and were the same yutes encountered?
Old 05-24-19, 12:45 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I'd much rather be tased any day that's only a 5 second ride each time.
I've never been tased nor pepper-sprayed, but getting tased while standing looks like a great way to fall over and lose teeth.

Edit to add: But you were talking about the level of pain.

Last edited by rseeker; 05-24-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 12:50 PM
88Tempo

Originally Posted by rseeker
I've never been tased nor pepper-sprayed, but getting tased while standing looks like a great way to fall over and lose teeth.
I've seen video of people getting tased at a dead sprint and you're right it looks like it could be very painful.
Likes For 88Tempo:
Old 05-24-19, 01:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
He got the crap kicked out of him....
Sorry! He initially said one slapped him on the shoulder and another slapped him on the back of his head. I confess to skimming the rest of his backpedaling so guess I missed it if he described worse treatment. Whatever the situation, he was clearly frightened enough that it's still worrying him.
Old 05-24-19, 01:17 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by flyjimmy
If you choose to knowingly go where you will most likely find trouble is it really self defense if you get into an altercation? It’s a fine line but starts to sound like vigilantism.
... where one has every right to be, you mean?

Putting down violent assaults against us isn't so-called "vigilantism." It's survival in a situation NOT brought upon us via our own actions, not requested. The mere fact someone continues to go about his/her life irrespective of the potential for threat doesn't make that person a "vigilante" nor a criminal. (Except in states that criminalize "failure" to do everything in one's power to run from such felony attackers who cross our paths. [aka "duty to retreat" states. Thankfully, not everyplace is so draconian about one's right to live one's life.])

Consider this:

Suppose it's one path across town for which one has a dozen legitimate alternatives. But, suppose it's one's own street. Is a person somehow "vigilante" across town but, going about one's legitimate and lawful business, doing the same on one's own street is different? As though a person causes it if over yonder, but not somewhere else? That mixes up the perpetrator with the victim, right there.
Old 05-24-19, 01:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Maybe we need a 50+, big boy swinging and packing ride to help OP take back the MUP. I'll bring the Wagner.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-24-19, 02:31 PM
flyjimmy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
So to be clear. One is the victim of assault. Then as far as we know does not file a police report or take any legal action. He then goes on a public forum for advice alluding to defending himself and what lengths others would go to. He then is contemplating returning to the same place at the say time which he fully expects would lead to a second altercation. Is it self defense? Or something else.
Likes For flyjimmy:
Old 05-24-19, 02:36 PM
flyjimmy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
... where one has every right to be, you mean?
Pedestrians have a right to cross at the the crosswalk. It wouldn’t be prudent to step into the path of a speeding car.
Old 05-24-19, 02:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
This is a serious discussion for the men on Bike Forums. Not the little boys.

There are are three basic questions.

1) Have you ever been assaulted while riding? What happened and what did you do?

2) What measures have you taken to defend yourself and how far are you willing to go?

3) This one is personally important to me. If you primarily ride on one particular Bike Path at specific times, sunrise and sunset, and were assaulted one evening on that Bike Path, would you just avoid that section of the Bike Path in the evening, which is the only time they would be there, or would you ride anytime and anywhere you wanted even though it might mean defending yourself using very drastic measures?
really dumb insulting way to start a thread if OP wants input....

1) Had an apple thrown at me, otherwise no. while walking I did get mugged with a 38 snub nose under my ear once (in the Bronx, in a connected neighborhood)
2) completely situational, you have to read the situation and know your capabilities.......getting away from the situation is always the best...... 38 under ear with a nervous teenager.... no defense, total calm, give them the wallet. If it is serious and you have no out fight dirty....knees, balls, eyes, earrs.
3) Assumes people are waiting at same point every day...if so call cops, If not just ride..... if dark lots of lights. Drastic measures, could get you in more trouble and or jail. look at all the time police have shot, tazed, pepper sprayed people adrenalin and drugs can make some hard to stop...... and if who ever it is you are fighting is a really a hard person....then they probably have had more fights than you......experience counts. Again Avoidance

Old 05-24-19, 02:55 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts

He got the crap kicked out of him and you don't want him to speak about it for some reason. As though you can just ignore crime and maybe it'll go away.
In case you haven't checked, this is a bicycle forum. We can extend our sympathies to a downtrodden rider, and bemoan unfortunate incidents, but digression to dwell upon off-topics is not encouraged.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-24-19, 04:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
So to be clear. One is the victim of assault. Then as far as we know does not file a police report or take any legal action. He then goes on a public forum for advice alluding to defending himself and what lengths others would go to. He then is contemplating returning to the same place at the say time which he fully expects would lead to a second altercation. Is it self defense? Or something else.
you can be sure is someone went vigilante and had posted about it prior, the posting would indicate pre-meditation which would be a problem for that someone. either in criminal and/or civil court.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-24-19, 09:12 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's just curious that the OP chose to scope the question that way. Sounds like he's feeling his manhood was challenged by the incident and he's looking for reassurance along those lines.
A perfectly normal reaction on every front. Think of the sharing as therapy.

Otherwise, the question would be as simple as "How would you defend yourself?"
These things take on a whole different meaning once you've experienced it first hand, rather than something hypothetical.
So to be clear. One is the victim of assault. Then as far as we know does not file a police report or take any legal action. He then goes on a public forum for advice alluding to defending himself and what lengths others would go to.
One can look for support in all types of places, and what better place to look for that support than where there are others of the same accord?
He then is contemplating returning to the same place at the say time which he fully expects would lead to a second altercation. Is it self defense? Or something else.
No, it is not.
Old 05-24-19, 10:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
He initially said one slapped him on the shoulder and another slapped him on the back of his head.
Unless I'm missing something from yet another thread (possibly deleted), that is all that happened, no "got the crap kicked out of him."

Not that it's necessarily relevant. Bullies like to intimate that they could be doing worse. It would shake me up for sure.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-24-19, 11:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
You can't have it both ways my friend. If you are going to take a logical, Liberal minded view of the o.p.'s situation you prove yourself to be better than the misogynist mouth-breather deplorables. So don't spoil it. There IS something inherently evil about dividing a public discussion by gender. Even if no woman I know would touch this thread with a 3.05 meter pole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.