Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Old 05-29-19, 10:34 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by KLiNCK

You don't need a bell either! Win-win!!
Going back to this post, a newly-found cycling buddy of mine has just purchased a used mountain bike for the princely sum of 30GBP (= 38USD). His chain looked worse than that out on our first ride together!

Of course, I advised him to purchase a new chain at least, and to oil it every now and then.
Old 05-29-19, 07:42 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Having been commuting for 10 years as my only form of transportation i have noticed absolutely no difference in any kind of lube regarding chain durability.

I can get about 4000km of a an 8sp chain and 8sp cass. same with 9sp.

I have tried using industrial greases, molykote with oil, motor oil, chain specific industrial lubes, wurth teflon spray. And it all works within 10% of each other.
just spray on some crap and it will last as long as it will imo.
Likes For carlos danger:
Old 05-29-19, 08:19 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
Having been commuting for 10 years as my only form of transportation i have noticed absolutely no difference in any kind of lube regarding chain durability.

I have tried using industrial greases, molykote with oil, motor oil, chain specific industrial lubes, wurth teflon spray. And it all works within 10% of each other.
What about the chainrings and cassette? How many miles do you get before replacement?
Old 05-29-19, 08:28 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger

Wait. Firsthand experience and varied products over time? Informed opinion based on empirical observation? I can almost see the scientific method from here.
GET THEE GONE, HEATHEN! You may return when you've got some proper hearsay.

I've got no real preference either. Just whatever's on hand. Right now I've got three different bottles, all partially full, one of which I can't even find and none of which do I actually remember purchasing:

Of all things bicycle-related, the chain lube debate inspires the most indifference in me.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-29-19, 08:49 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
I love the smell of napalm Chain-L in the morning!
Old 05-29-19, 10:02 PM
88Tempo

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I wonder if giving a chain the salt bath nitride treatment would be worthwhile in terms of chain life. Probably not cost effective.
Old 05-30-19, 09:32 PM
EngProducts
EngineeredProducts Etsy

Bikes: Trek Boone Race Shop Limited

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD40 before every ride and you're golden. No need for anything else.
Old 05-31-19, 02:23 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by EngProducts
WD40 before every ride and you're golden. No need for anything else.
In my experience, WD40 and Ballistol wear off after 40-50 km. Brunox Turbo Spray is better as far non-chain specific products go.
Old 03-16-20, 11:56 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I've been using White Lightening Clean Ride on gravel rides for the last year. It works great. I squirt it on the chain just before every ride, and unless I'm riding through huge puddles the whole way, it'll stay on. No more sand and dirt grinding sounds, no huge jobs cleaning chains and gears, no having to use it the night before and let it dry (Like a another lube you "squirt" on). It just works and is very convenient. I wouldn't recommend it if you ride in the rain often though. If I get caught in a downpour, it might wash off at some point and I'll hear those birds chirping, but it's no big deal.
Old 03-16-20, 03:59 PM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 114 Posts
Chain Lube

I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil to clean my chain, then Synthetic Gear Lube to lube it.

I suppose I'll be told it's bad, but so far it's worked for me.

Last edited by roadsnakes; 03-16-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 07:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I've been using White Lightening Clean Ride on gravel rides for the last year. It works great. I squirt it on the chain just before every ride, and unless I'm riding through huge puddles the whole way, it'll stay on. No more sand and dirt grinding sounds, no huge jobs cleaning chains and gears, no having to use it the night before and let it dry (Like a another lube you "squirt" on). It just works and is very convenient. I wouldn't recommend it if you ride in the rain often though. If I get caught in a downpour, it might wash off at some point and I'll hear those birds chirping, but it's no big deal.
That's what I've been using on my gravel bike, the "dry" lube since it won't catch much dust. But on my hybrid I just use some Mobil 1 since I only ride it on pavement and don't have to worry about dust as much.
Old 03-17-20, 09:07 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And Crescent is a tool manufacturer, not just one type of adjustable wrench, but everyone knows what is meant by a "crescent wrench".
Nope, never heard of it.
Old 03-17-20, 10:20 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Nope, never heard of it.
Adjustable spanner is not a common term in the US
Old 03-21-20, 04:37 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again WD-40 is NOT a lube. Besides that is it making a mess for you. Just use plain motor oil, Mobil 1 is probably the best.
This is not true, it is a lube howbeit a very thin lube that doesn't last long, while the WD does stand for water displacement it also has some lubricant qualities to it...not really suitable for lubing a bicycle chain though it work in a pinch.

Straight from WD40 manufacture to your eyes, read: https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

While the above site does say it's fine to use on a bicycle chain I wouldn't use it, it's way too thin, but in a pinch it will work, drip some onto a chain, wipe the chain real well, and let it dry overnight and your good to go the next day...however after that ride you will have to reapply after each and every ride.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 03-22-20, 01:03 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
WD-40's forte is getting rid of water. After a wet muddy mountain bike or road ride, hose your bike off. After you hose your bike off, THEN hit the chain, front and rear derailleurs with WD-40. Once the bike is dry, wipe off WD-40 residue and then apply your lubricant of choice. The WD-40 does a good job at displacing the water in your parts and chain but is not very good as a lubricant.

The one thing that keeps me from using WD-40 90% of the time, for the job it was intended to do, is that it can also act as a degreaser. It will break down many petroleum-based lubes and greases. My routine is to blow-off my bikes with my air compressor and not use WD-40.

The only time I use it is when I have old persistent grease on hard to reach places and I want to get it all out. WD-40 works really well to get those last remnants of grease out of cones, ball bearings and races. Although lately I've been using Clean Ride for that.......
Likes For drlogik:
Old 03-22-20, 02:01 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I use some finish line lube or just some teflon based grease to work some into the chain. I hardly lube my chain and commute daily. I get a tiny bit of rust if I ride for long periods in the rain, but after a few miles the rust wears off and the chain is OK. I guess I lube it once every few weeks / months.

How I miss those days when I would actually use muck off to make my casset and chain look brand new after every couple of rides.
Old 03-22-20, 07:21 PM
jdsyachts

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7900, Sun EZ Tad 3, Canondale F400

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allout1
Haha, I use WD40. I was looking at Finish Line's Dry stuff. Not sure though. What's good and price conscious?

The WD40 drips all over the rim and frame when things get spinning. Then I have to clean those up afterwards. This happens even if I towel the chain down.

I want something that's not making a splatter mess all over my cleaning work on the bike. LOL
Squirt. Dry lube that you apply to the chain then let it dry. No wipe down. No mess unless you are sloppy.
Old 03-23-20, 03:12 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I use Molten Chain Wax. Had to buy a waxing pot. I suggest buying one with a large capacity. The smaller ones may have issues fitting long chains. I no longer have to worry about a dirty chain hitting my clothes and the wax usually lasts a month or more depending on the weather.
Likes For Illgot:
Old 03-23-20, 03:53 PM
DJJonnyT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started using a 'dry' lube a few years ago. Fist I used Squirt but the build up of the product caused me to clean the chain more than I thought I should. Though I must say it did work very well. Switched to Rock n Roll lube which comes in three formulas, maybe more now. Wet called The Extreme (Blue), absolute dry (Red) and the middle or the road option that I use, the Gold. All available at my LBS. Bike shops are still open here in Illinois as they are considered to be an essential business. I'm sure that they would appreciate your business at this time.
Old 03-23-20, 05:06 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I suffered the black leg for years.

No brand fixes it. None.

Deeply clean a brand new chain in mineral spirits. Deeply clean your entire drivetrain in the same.

Google "paraffin chain wax". Do one of the techniques outlined. Stay on top of it.

Or black leg.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-23-20, 05:23 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I went to a Canadian Tire store here in Canada looking at their bike accessories and found some WD 40 Bicycle Chain Lube. So I bought some of their Wet lube. They also sell a dry lube.

Seems to work fine for me. I give the chain a through cleaning about every 400 km and add some more about 200 km later. Not messy like automobile oiI once tried.

Mind you I ride for pleasure and adventure in dry conditions on my Comfort bike, mostly on paved roads. There is probably better for more challenging endeavors, But for many folks this seems to work fine.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 03-24-20 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 10:44 AM
Cyclehog93

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Noooo not wd40

You need either a dry or wet lube depending on what conditions you ride in
Old 04-10-20, 03:48 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
don't use wd40 that all i can say, short life span and messy

Last edited by rowerek; 04-11-20 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-18-22, 10:27 AM
Wattsup

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooree
If you ride in a dusty environment such as California, this bike chain lube from Finish Line is the only option. I use this on my downhill bike at Northstar and my road bike on the trails. After every ride, I recommend rinsing the transmission and chain. You will find that the dust just washes away without leaving grease like other chain lubricants. Reapply after rinsing and drying. This is how I keep my bike running smoothly in the CA dust.
hot wax.
Old 03-18-22, 09:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Any product from Silca has been rigorously tested and their lubes are the best in the industry. https://silca.cc/collections/chain-lube-wax

Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.