Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica, Nicaragua?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Costa Rica, Nicaragua?

Old 06-10-19, 03:51 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Costa Rica, Nicaragua?

Anybody ever been to Costa Rica or Nicaragua? I was thinking of landing in San Jose and flying out of Managua after a month or two. Maybe roll back to Puerto Cabezas or something. You know, maybe. No ticket yet. Interjet allows a bike in place of one checked bag. And they do pile stuff on top of your bike.

I bought a CCM for $15 and a Hardrock for $29 at the charity shop. 2 leave behind bikes, fly in ride around fly out without the bike. Maybe a little trip to the Amazon or something.

What about Costa Rica? hmmm could be interesting.

Old 06-10-19, 08:24 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I've toured in CR and found it only so-so for touring. It's an extremely mountainous country with some beautiful scenery and national parks. The paved roads were often in surprisingly bad condition. If you're near sea level, it's quite hot. The only flat road I saw is along the Pacific coast. South of Quepos, it wasn't paved when I was there, though it was in decent condition compared to some of the paved roads. There was decent riding near Arenal volcano. Some of that was unpaved. I also biked down to the Caribbean coast via Turrialba. It was a fairly enjoyable route. I think there's a short fairly flat road from Limon to the Panama border but it was pouring down rain incessantly on that coast and I never made it beyond Limon.

Nicaragua has had some serious political violence over the past year.
Old 06-11-19, 09:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Iohan has serveral posts and videos from Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

Bike Wanderer

-Tim-
Old 06-11-19, 09:44 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Iohan is the best!
Old 06-12-19, 06:10 AM
axolotl

chrisx, you asked about Nicaragua just 7 months ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ke-tour-2.html
Likes For axolotl:
Old 06-12-19, 06:45 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
you are going to be in nw south america in a few months also right? as you said the other day in the "high humidity" thread, so you will travelling a lot from Guatemala.

"Last month in Guatemala it was 105 or so every day in the jungle."
"What about Venezuela? I would be interested to hear about this journey, as, I will be the northern part of western South America in a few months."
Likes For djb:
Old 06-13-19, 09:09 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
When I visit South America, I like the western part of northern south america,,but what about the easten area of northern south america_? Mev may report back on that one. Mean while I plan to visit the central part of central america, maybe.

Do the head waters of the Amazon run through the easten part of western south ameriaca, if I go there can I excape this web ache?

Whats your point? Has the political unease in Nicaragua changed since then. Is there a limit to posts about Nicaragua, or something?
Originally Posted by djb
you are going to be in nw south america in a few months also right? as you said the other day in the "high humidity" thread, so you will travelling a lot from Guatemala.

"Last month in Guatemala it was 105 or so every day in the jungle."
"What about Venezuela? I would be interested to hear about this journey, as, I will be the northern part of western South America in a few months."
Originally Posted by axolotl
chrisx, you asked about Nicaragua just 7 months ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ke-tour-2.html

Leave behind bike = sub $100 charity shop bike restored with used parts from the shed.
Old 06-14-19, 06:51 AM
axolotl

Originally Posted by chrisx
Do the head waters of the Amazon run through the easten part of western south ameriaca, if I go there can I excape this web ache?
Si Seņor, excape this web ache indeed.