Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding a bike after a 40mph crash

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding a bike after a 40mph crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 01:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I would ride it like I stole it.
Steal is real.

-Tim-
Old 06-12-19, 01:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think that would be my first question.

Running into something solid like a car pulling out in front of you could be a cause for significant concern.

On the other hand, a bike sliding out from under one on a corner might be less worrysome, and one might go by the actual condition of the bike.

Anything else would lie somewhere in the middle between the two extremes.
+1 Sliding off the road on a corner after hitting some gravel and ending up with an acre of road rash, scraped handlebars, brake levers, downside pedal and corner of seat - bike would be just fine (and in my tight-money racing days, considered a crash well done).

Ben
Old 06-12-19, 02:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 Sliding off the road on a corner after hitting some gravel and ending up with an acre of road rash, scraped handlebars, brake levers, downside pedal and corner of seat - bike would be just fine (and in my tight-money racing days, considered a crash well done).

Ben
That would be fine with steel, I wouldn't trust carbon though.
Old 06-12-19, 02:26 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Caad12
Just curious how safe would you feel riding an aluminum frame bike with a carbon fork that was involved in a high speed crash (40 mph)?

I cannot tell if the frame is bent or the damage on the carbon fork. I have heard horror stories of carbon failing after crashes and I no longer trust the frame or fork. I do not want to ride and I certainly do not feel comfortable giving it to someone else. I would love to know the groups thoughts continuing to use this bike.

Thanks
The only way to tell if the carbon fork is damaged, (other than obvious visual proof), is to have it X-rayed. As far as the Aluminum frame, generally speaking, what you see is what you get. So if after close inspection there is a decent possibility it is not seriously damaged. But there are no guarantees.

If you X-ray the fork and it is fine but you have doubts about the aluminum frame, one option is to get a new Aluminum frame compatible with your fork, drivetrain, etc and transfer on to the new frame.
Old 06-12-19, 07:30 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Just curious how safe would you feel riding an aluminum frame bike with a carbon fork that was involved in a high speed crash (40 mph)?

I cannot tell if the frame is bent or the damage on the carbon fork. I have heard horror stories of carbon failing after crashes and I no longer trust the frame or fork. I do not want to ride and I certainly do not feel comfortable giving it to someone else. I would love to know the groups thoughts continuing to use this bike.

Thanks
OP, you put this in a thread in the Bike Mechanics section about bent spokes in your wheel. Were you or the car going 40 mph?

This brings me to my next question. I have an insurance adjuster visiting tomorrow morning to assess the damage of my bike. I am afraid he is only going to compensate me for a new wheel, brake, seat, and labor costs. What concerns me is I was hit at a high rate of speed (40mph) and I no longer trust the frame and especially the carbon fork.
Old 06-13-19, 11:41 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
I am afraid he is only going to compensate me for a new wheel, brake, seat, and labor costs. What concerns me is I was hit at a high rate of speed (40mph) and I no longer trust the frame and especially the carbon fork.
You could not be hit by a vehicle going that fast and survive. It simply is not possible. Regardless, we have no standing in your claim. This is between you and them. If there is 'any'. I really mean 'any' damage at all to the front wheel then the fork should also be suspect. I would expect the adjuster to know that. You are second guessing them. Swapping a fork is not a trivial operation. Just like cars: the whole is greater (much) than the sum of its parts thereof. I DOUBT the insurance company is going to part out your bike and pay your claim based on the going price of the damaged components. Your bike will very likely be 'totaled'.
Old 06-13-19, 12:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You could not be hit by a vehicle going that fast and survive. It simply is not possible. Regardless, we have no standing in your claim. This is between you and them. If there is 'any'. I really mean 'any' damage at all to the front wheel then the fork should also be suspect. I would expect the adjuster to know that. You are second guessing them. Swapping a fork is not a trivial operation. Just like cars: the whole is greater (much) than the sum of its parts thereof. I DOUBT the insurance company is going to part out your bike and pay your claim based on the going price of the damaged components. Your bike will very likely be 'totaled'.
Depends on what being hit means for you. Years ago I was hit by a car going about that speed and survived. The driver was drunk and zig-zagging, going in the same direction as I, hit me sideways and sent me flying. Had a concussion, broken scapula and lots of road rash (wasn't wearing a helmet). My steel frame had a bent seatstay, I cold straightened it out and still rides OK.
Old 06-13-19, 10:10 PM
Rogerogeroge

Getting side-swiped and T-boned are two different things. We need to hear the whole story. Lots of speculation on the internet.
Old 06-13-19, 10:14 PM
Rogerogeroge

And by the way, I trust my judgement in this matter much more than an insurance adjuster. If I'm in doubt, I'll reach out to others that can answer. Unless we're talking bodily damage with $$$ implications, an insurance company isn't going to x-ray a carbon fork. And swapping a fork is a trivial operation. You are correct that the bike will most likely be 'totaled'.
Old 06-13-19, 10:17 PM
Rogerogeroge

You could not be hit by a vehicle going that fast and survive. It simply is not possible.
A friend of mine was going almost 40 when an oncoming car turned left into him. He survived, and fully recovered within a few months. It's possible, even in a head-on situation.
Old 06-14-19, 12:16 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
A friend of mine was going almost 40 when an oncoming car turned left into him. He survived, and fully recovered within a few months. It's possible, even in a head-on situation.
I think totally possible, especially if the rider is being flipped/thrown over and not actually impacting the vehicle, there will be pain though. Watch some you tube videos
Old 06-14-19, 12:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The one thing I think I can say with confidence is that the rider on a bike that wipes out for whatever cause at 40 mph isn't going to have a clear idea of just how the bike was impacted. That's a lot of energy being dissipated in a lot of directions very fast. In other words, bike and rider are bouncing around off of anything that hit them, anything they happen to hit, the ground and each other, the worst impacts occurring in a fraction of a second.

40 mph isn't a magic figure, but there's nothing irrational in believing that the likelihood of hidden damage is really quite high at that speed.
Old 06-16-19, 06:47 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

Thanks
Depends. If it was an open road tumble, the frame is likely fine, with damage to the components that hit the ground...pedals, brake levers etc...

If there was direct impact with something solid, then it's harder to judge.

I have had quite a few race speed crashes with plenty of component & wheel damage. the worst frame damage was a broken RD hanger.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-16-19, 08:27 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
That's a pretty high-speed crash., but I suppose it depends on how the crash occurred and what kind of impact the frame/fork actually took. There may be damage to the frame/fork that you cannot see, but are nonetheless there. No way to tell without specialized equipment. If it were me I wouldn't be comfortable riding it, and even less so giving it to someone else to ride.
You really don't need a slide rule to know the structural integrity has been comprised. Steel, maybe? But only because it doesn't fail catastrophically. Otherwise, that bike is toast.
Old 06-16-19, 09:24 PM
ConradH

Bikes: Witcomb, Canondale, Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, I once went off the road into a low soft muddy berm. Bike stopped in zero distance and the fork folded back so the tire hit the frame. The frame tubes buckled at the lugs of the head tube. I doubt I was going more than maybe 10 mph. It's all about the forces, not the speed.