Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 06-22-19, 06:14 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I was asking about the tradeoff between ride comfort and aero qualities on 35mm and 45mm deep rims. I have a CAAD12 and don't want to take on too much harshness from an over-stiff wheel.
The OP was @robbyville. I started along your topic and was corrected that this was about a brand.

Depends a bit on location (winds) and weight and speed.
For the general rider 35mm is likely better. If you pump higher speeds, a deeper profile is likely better.

Wheel mass matters more for the general rider as the general rider is going under 20mph.
In all and every case a tubular will provide the better ride. It may not be worth the learning curve dealing with them. But in no case will a non tubular out perform a tubular except maybe a constant speed super smooth surface.

If you are a general rider - 25mm-35mm with an alloy clincher 25-28mm will give the best ride/$.
Carbon if you want to give up a bit of quality and performance to get the very best.

Tubular - carbon.
Old 06-22-19, 11:09 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
I actually was referring specifically to LB wheels in 25x35 and 25x45 and have updated last my post to reflect this. My question is, what's the difference in ride quality between the two sizes? You commented that alloy wheels give the best ride/$. Can you explain?
Originally Posted by Doge
The OP was @robbyville. I started along your topic and was corrected that this was about a brand.

Depends a bit on location (winds) and weight and speed.
For the general rider 35mm is likely better. If you pump higher speeds, a deeper profile is likely better.

Wheel mass matters more for the general rider as the general rider is going under 20mph.
In all and every case a tubular will provide the better ride. It may not be worth the learning curve dealing with them. But in no case will a non tubular out perform a tubular except maybe a constant speed super smooth surface.

If you are a general rider - 25mm-35mm with an alloy clincher 25-28mm will give the best ride/$.
Carbon if you want to give up a bit of quality and performance to get the very best.

Tubular - carbon.

Last edited by Robert A; 06-23-19 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-23-19, 07:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I guess I lost the meaning of this thread. Are there really 500+ posts about a brand of wheel (minus my OT posts)?
What is the question?
I don't follow why it's hard to understand. It's a manufacturer-direct brand and there's not a lot of spilled ink to be found on them, so this is a place for buyers to share their experiences and provide their thoughts for the benefit of others that are curious about the brand.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-23-19, 08:16 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't follow why it's hard to understand. It's a manufacturer-direct brand and there's not a lot of spilled ink to be found on them, so this is a place for buyers to share their experiences and provide their thoughts for the benefit of others that are curious about the brand.
Exactly! Although I like all the different directions it takes at times
Old 06-23-19, 08:37 AM
Doge

I actually was referring specifically to LB wheels in 25x35 and 25x45 and have updated last my post to reflect this. My question is, what's the difference in ride quality between the two sizes? You commented that alloy wheels give the best ride/$. Can you explain?
Clinchers need a hooked brake track. Two things here - the brake track and the hook.

As alloy rims are extruded the thickness of the metal can be well controlled and makes a nice pronounced hook can be made to hold the tire well. Carbon is not extruded. The degree carbon takes bends or has differeent material thickness is based on the mold and hand layup. It is not unusual to have carbon rims with alloy brake tracks.

Then the brake track. This is more of an issue using rim brakes, but grit and rough pads are squeezing the outside of the carbon tracks while the air is pushing the walls out. Same is true of course for alloy, but this fatigue can cause side/brake tracks to splinter/blow out over time. So typically the carbon wall are thicker (or alloy) than the alloy ones to account for this. The clincher distance from inside the rim to the outside is further for carbon. The tire may be leaning on the edge of the rim more. Could you feel this? Don't know. It just doesn't mentally seem as right.

The net is in low profile clinchers - 25mm or so alloy rims are often lighter than the carbon ones, due to the brake track issues. Tubulars, not having the brake tracks are lighter in carbon.

Ride quality is based on the tire case material, tread, and width which affects the the cross section area, then the PSI. The width thing as another poster mentioned is having the same area of air in the cross section. Adjusting the PSI accordingly. Leaving the actual case material and where the air is is a mistake IMO. We also generally leave the PSI part out of many discussions. I think it is implied, wider gets lower PSI, but most the rolling resistance tests I have seen you have to be careful and see if the PSI was the same, or adjusted for cross sectional area. Also having air between rigid brake tracks vs floating on top of the rim can be felt.

Having air between rigid brake tracks vs floating on top of the rim can be felt.
Old 06-23-19, 08:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Clinchers need a hooked brake track. Two things here - the brake track and the hook.

As alloy rims are extruded the thickness of the metal can be well controlled and makes a nice pronounced hook can be made to hold the tire well. Carbon is not extruded. The degree carbon takes bends or has differeent material thickness is based on the mold and hand layup. It is not unusual to have carbon rims with alloy brake tracks.

So typically the carbon wall are thicker (or alloy) than the alloy ones to account for this. The clincher distance from inside the rim to the outside is further for carbon. The tire may be leaning on the edge of the rim more. Could you feel this? Don't know. It just doesn't mentally seem as right.
Do think the characteristics you mention have something to do with the Vittoria/Enve 'spat'? OT: was there any further followup on this?
Vittoria - ENVE Compatiblity
Old 06-23-19, 11:22 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Do think the characteristics you mention have something to do with the Vittoria/Enve 'spat'? OT: was there any further followup on this?
Vittoria - ENVE Compatiblity
That is evidence of what I was saying, but I think more to do with the bead of the tire which likely would not be an alloy rim issue.
Some tires have a more pronounced bead that will slip in better under a smoother carbon hook. I use Veloflex Master 25s on my Mercury M5 carbon clinchers. They hook in better.
I do not know about these Light Bicycle Wheels but often wheel manufactures will swap out suppliers for one component to the next. The same Asian made rims will find their way to multiple brands, and the same model wheel may have a different rim from one year to the next.
Old 06-23-19, 11:33 AM
Robert A

Then the brake track. This is more of an issue using rim brakes, but grit and rough pads are squeezing the outside of the carbon tracks while the air is pushing the walls out. Same is true of course for alloy, but this fatigue can cause side/brake tracks to splinter/blow out over time. So typically the carbon wall are thicker (or alloy) than the alloy ones to account for this. The clincher distance from inside the rim to the outside is further for carbon. The tire may be leaning on the edge of the rim more. Could you feel this? Don't know. It just doesn't mentally seem as right.

The net is in low profile clinchers - 25mm or so alloy rims are often lighter than the carbon ones, due to the brake track issues. Tubulars, not having the brake tracks are lighter in carbon.

Ride quality is based on the tire case material, tread, and width which affects the the cross section area, then the PSI. The width thing as another poster mentioned is having the same area of air in the cross section. Adjusting the PSI accordingly. Leaving the actual case material and where the air is is a mistake IMO. We also generally leave the PSI part out of many discussions. I think it is implied, wider gets lower PSI, but most the rolling resistance tests I have seen you have to be careful and see if the PSI was the same, or adjusted for cross sectional area. Also having air between rigid brake tracks vs floating on top of the rim can be felt.

Having air between rigid brake tracks vs floating on top of the rim can be felt.
So with these issues in mind, is there an advantage going with a quality alloy rim instead of the LB carbon, if price is about the same? Say for instance, the HED Ardennes LT Plus vs LB carbon.
Old 06-23-19, 11:39 AM
Doge

So with these issues in mind, is there an advantage going with a quality alloy rim instead of the LB carbon, if price is about the same? Say for instance, the HED Ardennes LT Plus vs LB carbon.
For low profile - yes. The Ardennes are robust. I have the cheap Shimano, Mercury, DuraAce, and Ultegra in alloy. For hi profile you pretty much need a carbon rim. Maybe with an alloy brake track (Zipp, HED). Low profile alloy will be lighter and fit tires better.

I'm bigger and like 50mm. I ride mostly tubulars but have 50mm carbon clinchers too. My 25 clinchers are alloy. I own 25mm carbon, and I think they are inferior to the alloy.
Old 06-23-19, 11:45 AM
Robert A

For low profile - yes. The Ardennes are robust. I have the cheap Shimano, Mercury, DuraAce, and Ultegra in alloy. For hi profile you pretty much need a carbon rim. Maybe with an alloy brake track (Zipp, HED). Low profile alloy will be lighter and fit tires better.

I'm bigger and like 50mm. I ride mostly tubulars but have 50mm carbon clinchers too. My 25 clinchers are alloy. I own 25mm carbon, and I think they are inferior to the alloy.
With alloy, is there a tradeoff in responsiveness on climbs?
Old 06-23-19, 03:28 PM
Doge

With alloy, is there a tradeoff in responsiveness on climbs?
I don't know. Tires, pressure, spoke tension matter, and typically carbon can take higher tension. I just don't think of any climbers as clinchers. Like asking about truck performance.
Old 06-23-19, 04:42 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
@Doge has nothing to add about Light Bicycle brand wheels, so he’s confused.

How is it possible that there’s a large thread, and he has nothing to add?

I have nothing to add, so I'll change the topic.

Last edited by noodle soup; 06-23-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 08:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
For the sake of posterity, here is the progress of my order so far:

Monday 6/17: two rims ordered - RRU35C02 3k matte with grooved graphene brake track
Wednesday 6/19 (two days): Paypal charge appeared on bank account
Friday 6/21 (five days): Informed that rims were not in stock in North America and would be manufactured and shipped from China. Order status changed from Pending to step 1 of 10 "Material Prepare."
Wednesday 6/26 (nine days): Order status changed from step 1 of 10 "Material Prepare" to step 4 of 10 "CNC Machining."

Hubs still have to come from Poland so I'm not in a rush. Just posting for additional data points.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled argument. As you were, fellas. Carry on.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-26-19 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 08:59 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TimothyH
For the sake of posterity, here is the progress of my order so far:

Monday 6/17: two rims ordered - RRU35C02 3k matte with grooved graphene brake track
Wednesday 6/19 (two days): Paypal charge appeared on bank account
Friday 6/21 (five days): Informed that rims were not in stock in North America and would be manufactured and shipped from China. Order status changed from Pending to step 1 of 10 "Material Prepare."
Wednesday 6/26 (nine days): Order status changed from step 1 of 10 "Material Prepare" to step 4 of 10 "CNC Machining."

Hubs still have to come from Poland so I'm not in a rush. Just posting for additional data points.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled argument. As you were, fellas. Carry on.

-Tim-
My guess is that the rims will arrive 7/12
Old 06-26-19, 09:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
My guess is that the rims will arrive 7/12
That would be great, actually.

Any idea on the hubs?

-Tim-
Old 06-26-19, 09:20 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TimothyH

Any idea on the hubs?

-Tim-
I have no experience with that vendor.
Old 06-26-19, 10:29 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I actually was referring specifically to LB wheels in 25x35 and 25x45 and have updated last my post to reflect this. My question is, what's the difference in ride quality between the two sizes?
I dare suggest that in practice, you won't be able to tell the difference. Unless you buy both, suit them up identically with matching tires and tubes and ride them back to back for a week. Even then, probably not enough of a difference that 2psi wouldn't fix.

In other words, I'm saying you're probably overthinking it a little. Go 45mm.
Old 06-26-19, 10:36 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I've had mine for 2 weeks and have about 550 miles on them. Right now, I'm loving them. Haven't ridden them in the rain yet, but I quickly switched out the LB brake pads for Swisstop Black Prince and the dry braking is just fine. I've hit some potholes hard without a problem. It's my first pair of carbon wheels, and compared to more conventional alloy rims (I was riding HED Ardennes), the differences are very noticeable, especially above 25 mph. I'm not sure how much different the performance may be from your Reynolds.
I would love to hear more about this, maybe it's hard to describe though.

I have a set of Ardennes, they came with the bike. I have a pair of $$$$$ carbon hoops and feel the same way about them that you described. Even at lower speeds they just feel like less work.

I would like to have another set of hoops, and do far everything I've read here is very encouraging.
Old 06-26-19, 10:40 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
How much do you folks weigh?
Old 06-26-19, 10:42 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
84kg. (185ish in old money)
Old 06-26-19, 02:31 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I would love to hear more about this, maybe it's hard to describe though.

I have a set of Ardennes, they came with the bike. I have a pair of $$$$$ carbon hoops and feel the same way about them that you described. Even at lower speeds they just feel like less work.

I would like to have another set of hoops, and do far everything I've read here is very encouraging.
What depth are your carbon rims? For <30mm 23+mm width clinchers I've never found any significant difference in speeds using the same GP4000s tires and I've had a lot of them (kinlin, shimano, HED, Zipp 101, Stans, generic carbon etc)
Old 06-26-19, 10:54 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Don’t mind me. Just excited that my wheels are done.

492g and 494g for the (internal nipple drilled) rims. 1592g for the wheelset. Pretty much on the dot.

Likes For smashndash:
Old 06-26-19, 11:42 PM
Robert A

Which LB wheelset is that?
Originally Posted by smashndash

492g and 494g for the (internal nipple drilled) rims. 1592g for the wheelset. Pretty much on the dot.

Old 06-27-19, 02:13 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Which LB wheelset is that?
Posted more detailed stuff earlier but they’re the 56mm deep, 30mm wide ones.
Old 06-27-19, 06:28 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash

Congratulations, looks awesome! Ride safe and let us know how you enjoy them.

How will you be setting them up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.