Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 07:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I didn't see that but years ago when I was considering getting a Surly LHT frame Surly told me that the warranty would be voided if I used a kickstand on it.

Cheers
Old 07-02-19, 07:41 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s the Devil’s Slide Twin trestles on Rollins Pass. It’s an old railroad so the grade is fairly flat but the road bed is pretty rough. You might be able to do it on a touring bike but a mountain bike makes life easier and faster.

Here’s the view from a little further back

DSCN0512 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Nice
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 07-02-19, 07:46 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Rear mount such as a Greenfield is useful and nearly universal. Newer bikes with disc brakes have frame fitting bosses that might interfere with mounting these.
Yeah i can't use this type either, it's getting tough to find something i can use with a 100 lb e-tandem with multi-link rear suspension. Perhaps getting an anchorage point welded onto the Cro-mo mainframe is the answer.
Old 07-03-19, 12:05 PM
Rich from MD
49yrs in the saddle

Bikes: Miyata 914 (1990ish); Raleigh Cadent FT2 (2008); Raleigh Record Ace (2011); Santana Sovereign (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kdeleon
So I'm getting back into biking after many years. I'm looking to get a nicer bike (leaning towards a Sirrus). Anyway, I see in the higher end models most people don't put some kind of kickstand, or at least that is what it seems. I understand for home people have some kind of stand or holder. But what does everyone do when outside their home. Like don't you stop somewhere or if you travel and don't have your home stand. Or maybe people do have kickstands and I just missed it.

Can you recommend a way to stand the bike away from the home base? And if it is a kickstand, maybe a specific model.
I bought one of these for my tandem, and now I want them on all my bikes:
Choosing Your Click-Stand

I've even found that by leaving the brake arresters on the handlebars 24/7, I can often get away with simply arresting the front brake and leaning it against something (for quick stops).
Old 07-04-19, 09:47 AM
Mark Ainsworth

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon (2016); Trek Multi-Track 750 (1996 I think)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Rear mount such as a Greenfield is useful and nearly universal. Newer bikes with disc brakes have frame fitting bosses that might interfere with mounting these.

I use a similar type of stand for my Sirrus Elite Carbon since the bike does not have a place to put a traditional kickstand and clamping one to the frame is not an option. I use the Ibera carbon fiber stand that attaches directly to the hub (see photo). It is lightweight and comes with a storage pouch that attaches to the top tube. I find the pouch has eough room to store a couple of small items. I like to put my riding gloves there.

STand

Carry Pouch

A pair of plastic bad rides
Old 07-04-19, 10:42 AM
Mark Ainsworth

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon (2016); Trek Multi-Track 750 (1996 I think)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your CAAD 8 frame is designed like a typical carbon frame (patterned after the EVO 6, in fact), so there is no place to put a standard kick-stand, and your dealer may not have had an appropriate stand for it. Anything you clamp to the chain stay will likely scratch the paint (you might not care).
Old 07-04-19, 02:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the upstand another one for carbon fiber bikes brought with rather than installed .. with rear axle as its mount site...

Old 07-06-19, 08:13 PM
kdeleon

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just an overall update. So I ended up ordering a Sirrus X Carbon. So I will need to be careful with the frame. I'm thinking of getting the Click Stand that many recommended. Seems like the best of both worlds. I can use it when I want but also not have to permanently install anything on the bike.

This discussion has been very interesting to hear both the pros and cons of a kickstand.