Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Regina CX/CX 6 Speed Freewheel?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 05:25 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts

Anyone know the quality of these guys? Are these high grade like Shimano Dura Ace or lower?
Old 11-05-16, 05:38 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
High end. Right up there with Suntour.
Old 11-05-16, 07:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
Anyone know the quality of these guys? Are these high grade like Shimano Dura Ace or lower?
Top of the line racing freewheel. Believe it or not, at the time they were introduced they were considered higher grade than dura ace, which was then not highly regarded. They were nice and quiet, which was nice. IIRC there's still one on my Masi.
Old 11-05-16, 07:21 PM
shuru421

So how in the world do you service these? These have a lock ring type of look to them (the first cog), semi-covering the 2 holes you usually use a pedal dust cap remover to clockwise unloosen which then frees the body of the freewheel from the cassette themselves.
Old 11-05-16, 08:26 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
You unscrew the first cog (the second generally comes along with it) and proceed normally.
I learned more about these that I cared to while building up a 13/15/17/19/21/24 Ultra-spaced block for my Mirella.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-05-16, 08:48 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
You unscrew the first cog (the second generally comes along with it) and proceed normally.
I learned more about these that I cared to while building up a 13/15/17/19/21/24 Ultra-spaced block for my Mirella.

You can do an ultra spacing on a CX?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-05-16, 09:37 PM
shuru421

Originally Posted by top506

So normal routine with a chain whip im assuming (lefty loosey) to get to the freewheel body?
Old 11-05-16, 11:13 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
One might encounter CX'S with problems from new once in a while, like one I bought NOS that turned out to have a knock on it when I installed and freewheeling on a frame. Turned out to be a flaw on the core body, near the pawl mechanism, which was hitting the ratchet serrations on the outer body. Had to tear down the FW completely to get at the offending area with my Dremel to knock the high spot down. I've heard of a few similar cases out there with what sounds to be the same problem.
Another thing I noticed about my Regina FWs is the outer locking cog is really a bear to break loose. It always feels like I'm about to bust a rib or something inside me whenever I take off the outer cog with my chain whips. They are the only FWs I own that I had actually broken chains on chain whips on! Seems like enough in this forum seems to have had similar experience with their Reginas......
Interesting that I never had the same problems with all my Maillard and Spidel FWs.
Old 11-06-16, 04:17 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Having worked on 100s of freewheels, if nine different six speed brands/models were lined up, and all had the same tooth counts on their sprockets, and were either all NOS or showing equal wear and cleanliness, here's what I'd choose in this order:
  1. Dura Ace
  2. Shimano 600
  3. Suntour Winner Pro
  4. Suntour Winner
  5. Suntour ProCompe
  6. Shimano
  7. Sachs/Maillard
  8. Suntour Perfect
  9. Regina CX, CX-S, BX

In actuality, the Shimano, Sachs/Maillard and Perfect would all tie, and all would be significantly ahead of any Regina. Why? Because the internal manufacturing on the Reginas was really poor compared to the other brands. I often run across pawls and ratchet teeth on Reginas which show significant wear, chips, groves, gouges, etc. It is very rare to to see this on other brands.

If I were choosing a 7 speed freewheel. Sachs Aris would be at the top of the list.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 11-06-16, 05:13 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
So normal routine with a chain whip im assuming (lefty loosey) to get to the freewheel body?
Yep. As others have noted, it can take some doing.

Originally Posted by CV-6
You can do an ultra spacing on a CX?
Yep. AFAIK, they can be had with either spacing. @pastorbobnlnh will correct me if I'm wrong.
Mine lives on a 120mm spaced Campy Record hub.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-06-16, 09:39 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Having worked on 100s of freewheels, if nine different six speed brands/models were lined up, and all had the same tooth counts on their sprockets, and were either all NOS or showing equal wear and cleanliness, here's what I'd choose in this order:
  1. Dura Ace
  2. Shimano 600
  3. Suntour Winner Pro
  4. Suntour Winner
  5. Suntour ProCompe
  6. Shimano
  7. Sachs/Maillard
  8. Suntour Perfect
  9. Regina CX, CX-S, BX

In actuality, the Shimano, Sachs/Maillard and Perfect would all tie, and all would be significantly ahead of any Regina. Why? Because the internal manufacturing on the Reginas was really poor compared to the other brands. I often run across pawls and ratchet teeth on Reginas which show significant wear, chips, groves, gouges, etc. It is very rare to to see this on other brands.

If I were choosing a 7 speed freewheel. Sachs Aris would be at the top of the list.
Very informative post Bob!
How might your ordering look if you factored in availability/interchangeability of cogs?
Old 11-06-16, 09:58 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
  1. Dura Ace
  2. Shimano 600
  3. Suntour Winner Pro
  4. Suntour Winner
  5. Suntour ProCompe
  6. Shimano
  7. Sachs/Maillard
  8. Suntour Perfect
  9. Regina CX, CX-S, BX
I can understand this opinion, but only for freewheels after the mid 80s, when 7400 came out. Shimano freewheels prior to this were junk (in my opinion and experience). Afterward they were the best, but it was only 5-6 years before they were completely phased out in favor of freehubs.

Suntour winner and pro compe, sure. Those were good. CX would occasionally have problems, though I never had an issue with one. The Regina Oros were more reliable.

One possible issue being overlooked is that Reginas were typically on racing bicycles that often saw 15000 miles a year, while suntours and shimanos (prior to 7400) were typically on recreational bikes that might see 500.
Old 11-06-16, 10:32 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Another point is that when the Oro was a big piece of the market, the main competitors were French - Maillard, M. M. Atom, and low- to high end versions of these brands. There were also early brands - the history would be interesting.

My recollections on my bikes is that the Reginas shifted decently and continued to do so for "a while." French ones did not shift well at the outset, in my experience. Threading had nothing to do with it.

Another thing is that certain freewheels had preference for certain chains. I don't remember the rules, but they were there.

These were all pre-indexing, so they did not at that time compete with modern tooth designs, such as hyperglide or Sachs ARIS. I would take a Sachs over nearly any square-tooth sprocket.
Old 11-06-16, 11:59 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not sure about the othere brands, but I had a Oro and CX and could not break them. I was doing about 300 hard miles a week and was not that nice to my equip. After that was the ultra 6 and 7 spd Suntour freewheel. Those were really, really good freewheel. Just don't buy the Ti freewheel or the Regina America. I broke two of those ti freewheel within one season just training and racing on them. Two, not one, so I was a little bumped given that they cost lots-o-money. Not sure if they still make them today or the ones you buy off ebay are NOS? Those old ones are still on my bike, but it doesn't get ridden more then once every two or three years.
Old 11-06-16, 09:34 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
I had a Regina CX S(?) 7-speed freewheel on my 1986 Pinarello Montello. This was a top of the line bike, so this must have been a premium freewheel. However, the Campagnolo Syncro 1 shifters and this freewheel and the Regina chain were so hopeless at actual shifting, that they were unceremoniously stripped off the bike within weeks.

My votes for the best 7-speed vintage freewheels:
  • Dura-Ace
  • Sante (same as Dura-Ace with chromed cogs)
  • Suntour Winner Pro
  • Sachs

With Dura-Ace being the best in terms of construction, materials and design. You can upgrade the Dura-Ace freewheel by installing Hyperglide cogs from a more modern Shimano freewheel. The modern cogs do not have the super-hard steel found in the original freewheels, but the Hyperglide shift features sure make shifting smoother.

Sachs freewheels were well designed, and shift the best of the vintage bunch, but they used soft steel in the cogs, and I've worn these out much faster than the Dura-Ace cogs.
Old 11-06-16, 09:53 PM
Salamandrine 

Syncro was terrible, but that's kind of a different issue. It depends what era you are talking about. If you want a campy shift system that indexed properly, you need to fast forward at least a decade past the introduction of syncro.

In the friction shift era, oro freewheels would last like 10k miles if kept clean. Others would not. This was an issue for high mileage types. I remember those cyclo-pans modular freewheels were pretty good too. I thought it was a novelty at first, but they were actually very good quality.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 11-06-16 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 11:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Pastor Bob, SunTour Perfect and SunTour ProCompe were identical except for the color of the cogs, so they should be tied for the same rank in your chart.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-16, 12:08 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe I missed something about shifting? I ran CX with Suntour chain or the other way around and have never an issue with shifting. This was pre indexed. I really didn't missed shifts, almost never so I have no idea what people are talking about. I knew precisely how much to move or pulled that lever depending on which gear I was in. Maybe people are too used to indexed or modern shifting?
Old 11-07-16, 01:57 AM
shuru421

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I had a Regina CX S(?) 7-speed freewheel on my 1986 Pinarello Montello. This was a top of the line bike, so this must have been a premium freewheel. However, the Campagnolo Syncro 1 shifters and this freewheel and the Regina chain were so hopeless at actual shifting, that they were unceremoniously stripped off the bike within weeks.

My votes for the best 7-speed vintage freewheels:
  • Dura-Ace
  • Sante (same as Dura-Ace with chromed cogs)
  • Suntour Winner Pro
  • Sachs

With Dura-Ace being the best in terms of construction, materials and design. You can upgrade the Dura-Ace freewheel by installing Hyperglide cogs from a more modern Shimano freewheel. The modern cogs do not have the super-hard steel found in the original freewheels, but the Hyperglide shift features sure make shifting smoother.

Sachs freewheels were well designed, and shift the best of the vintage bunch, but they used soft steel in the cogs, and I've worn these out much faster than the Dura-Ace cogs.
Wait, so these freewheels can be taken apart cog for cog? I thought these were pretty much 1 unit?

Also, do you happen to know if the Dura-Ace 7400 happened to be the Hyperglide model cogs?
Old 11-07-16, 05:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Pastor Bob, SunTour Perfect and SunTour ProCompe were identical except for the color of the cogs, so they should be tied for the same rank in your chart.
Tom, I was speaking strictly about the internal build of the freewheel, i.e. comparing what I've seen on the inside of Regina CXs with other models. Reading the responses I see that most people are making comparisons on riding and shifting performance.

The biggest difference which sets a ProCompe apart from a Perfect is the degree to which the internals are machined. There could also be a difference in the type of steel used, but I am uncertain about this later point. ProCompe bearing races are highly polished to a precise finish, on a par with the 5 speed Dura Ace bodies of the same era. Also, the ratchet teeth look sharper and more precise. Finally, the bearings appear to be a higher grade. The rest of the differences are merely cosmetic, but the internal differences are significant.

Sometimes a little bit of Dremil grinding is required on a modern HG sprocket in order to make it fit on the older UG bodies. One of the tabs is just a bit different/larger on the HG, but a Dremil can remedy this issue in a minute or less. The use of the original UG small threaded sprocket is still needed in order to secure the set.

I built a hybrid UG/HG freewheel for @rccardr to use on the Cino 'Eroica ride in Montana this past September. FWIIW, the same can be done with HG cassette sprockets on a UG freehub.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 11-07-16 at 06:00 AM.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 11-07-16, 11:29 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Wait, so these freewheels can be taken apart cog for cog? I thought these were pretty much 1 unit?

Also, do you happen to know if the Dura-Ace 7400 happened to be the Hyperglide model cogs?
Heh: you're making me feel old. I remember when shops would have a cog-board where you could customize your freewheel with different cogs, and replace worn ones. Of course this board was specific to each manufacturer, so that there was a Regina board and a Atom board, and later a Suntour board etc.

But then I was working at the shop last week and a young (and good) mechanic expressed surprise when seeing Simplex rear derailleur. Never heard of Simplex. Yikes: that made me feel old.

Enough rambling... yes, Dura-Ace 7400 can be disassembled down to the individual cogs. For me, freewheels are disposable items, except for the few freewheels I listed in my earlier post here. These are very high-quality units that were made to last.

The Dura-Ace freewheels had Uniglide cogs. The largest 5 (of 7) cogs can be replaced with Hyperglide cogs from a more recent Shimano freewheel. This will take some scavenging, some unwinding, and a few minutes of grinding.

But well worth it. Best freewheels ever.
Old 11-07-16, 12:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
What was the Regina model that preceded the CX? It had a long run. A cow-orker of mine figured all the different cog types and positions and made his own board for building and rebuilding them. There was no manual for him to work from. It was a versatile system, but it worked best when you knew it well.

Pastor Bob I didn't know that about the differences. Thank you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-16, 12:42 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by noglider
What was the Regina model that preceded the CX? It had a long run. A cow-orker of mine figured all the different cog types and positions and made his own board for building and rebuilding them. There was no manual for him to work from. It was a versatile system, but it worked best when you knew it well.
Regina Oro.

The LBS where I worked had an official Regina board, a Suntour board, and a Shimano board. I think this was pretty typical. Maybe a Peugeot shop would have had Frenchie stuff. We did have some Cyclo and Atom (etc) parts in the parts drawers.
Old 11-07-16, 01:03 PM
look171

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Regina Oro.

The LBS where I worked had an official Regina board, a Suntour board, and a Shimano board. I think this was pretty typical. Maybe a Peugeot shop would have had Frenchie stuff. We did have some Cyclo and Atom (etc) parts in the parts drawers.
I am curious. where's the shop? There aren't too many old shops around and I used to know most to them in the LA basin
Old 07-01-19, 09:45 AM
calhob29
CNYTRIGUY

Bikes: Kestrel 200sci, Peugeot PY10, Kestrel talon, Specialized crux pro race, Specialized Allez smartweld

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help

I find myself needing a freewheel to fit 126 spacing. I have a straight block CXS 7 spd and a 13-22 CX 6 speed. Anyone know if cogs from a 6 spd CX will fit on a CXS body? ie, are they the same width? I'd really rather go with 7 speed but I want the 22 for hills

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.