Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Coker still going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 07:51 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Yes, people performing well in pro races is extremely impressive.

I don't think that has much to do with my post that you quoted, though. I wasn't saying that she wasn't cut out for pro road racing, I was disagreeing with the claim that her ultradistance riding was effective immediate top-level road race prep. I made that post more than a year ago, and I would presume that during the interim, her riding schedule has included things aside from riding at a high steady pace all day every day.
She obviously isn't riding 237 miles every day anymore, but she's still riding big miles weekly and training in mostly the same manner that she did during the HAMR- lots of steady paced riding at 20-23 along with higher speed intervals thrown in. She wasn't just "putting in the miles" during the HAMR, she was actually training and getting stronger throughout it (averaging 262 miles per day at over 20 mph for the last three months). I have no doubt that she could have entered a women's Pro race within days of her HAMR completion and still would have performed well.

I do agree with you that ultradistance riding not an effective way for most people to train, but for her it worked well enough, and made her strong enough, to attract interest from a UCI pro team. I look forward to seeing what a "typical" Pro training program does for her performance.
Old 08-02-18, 11:07 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
That sounds like quite a bit of nonsense. Look we get you're a fan but c'mon man.
Old 08-04-18, 06:09 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
That sounds like quite a bit of nonsense. Look we get you're a fan but c'mon man.
Trust me! It's not nonsense. If anyone knows anything about Amanda Coker, other than Amanda and her parents, it's going to be c.miller. He's been her riding partner since pretty much the beginning of her HAMR; and continues to be. Yes! I know this for fact because we both ride in the same park and are both good friends with Amanda and her parents. Yes! That's Amanda standing next to me in my avatar.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-04-18, 08:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
This is no longer a long distance thread. There has always been a hint of nastiness in some of the posts in this thread. I think it's better to close it. The current discussion would probably be better in the pro cycling for the fans forum.