Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinion about Bikesdirect.com?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Opinion about Bikesdirect.com?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 06:06 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I may be necropositng here, but...

I am looking at BD for a Motobecane Gravel X1. Last time I had a Motobecane, the A-Team was on Prime Time TV, so I am wondering if Motobecane is still a good brand (my old bike was actually pretty nice for the times), and if the Gravel X1 is worth the price.
[LINK]

I'm just kind of over my 30lb 2" tire mountain bike for commuting, and thinking the 38mm tired Moto will be a good all 'round kinda bike.

Last edited by ironnerd; 04-26-19 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 06:43 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
I may be necropositng here, but...

I am looking at BD for a Motobecane Gravel X1. Last time I had a Motobecane, the A-Team was on Prime Time TV, so I am wondering if Motobecane is still a good brand
The Motobecane name in U.S. is now owned by Bikesdirect. Not much relation to the old French bikes.
Old 04-26-19, 06:48 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Originally Posted by tyrion
The Motobecane name in U.S. is now owned by Bikesdirect. Not much relation to the old French bikes.
Okay... does the old name go on bikes worth the money?
Old 04-26-19, 06:55 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
Okay... does the old name go on bikes worth the money?
I think Bikesdirect bikes are good value. I've owned a couple - no issues. There are plenty of comments on these forums about Bikesdirect.
Old 04-26-19, 06:59 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Thanks.
It does seem from all the comments in this thread that BD does provide an acceptable value for the money (in addition to sponsoring parts of this forum).

Starting to look like NBD is getting closer.
Old 04-26-19, 07:09 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have looked at a lot of bikes on BD but have never purchased one from them. They do have some very attractive pricing on some quality machines. I think they probably save money by using lower quality, less cost on various parts/components that are installed by them during the build. I think they probably also cut time in the setting up/tuning of the bikes. As stated by other posters, if you have the ability to finish putting the bike together, making adjustments to the fit, changing out parts/components when you get the bike and are ok with having to do those things, go for it. I purchased a bike from Adrenalinebikes.com a couple of years ago, a 2014 model Orbea Avant MD 40, that was new when I bought it in 2016. It was a process to get everything the way I wanted it and for it to be comfortable for me. I knew when I bought it that I would have to mount different handlebars, stem, saddle, eventually wheels and whatever else came up. I was okay with that because the bike was priced at about half of what the original MSRP was. The one change that made the biggest difference in the ride and handling was upgrading the wheelset.
Old 04-26-19, 07:56 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
My wife and I just picked up two BikesDirect bikes at Goodwill.

1. Aluminum Motobecane Mirage with Tourney 2x7 group. The nubbins are still on the center of the Kenda tires so it hasn't been ridden hardly at all. I'm going to tear it down and weigh the separate parts. It's in my size too.

2. Windsor Clockwork single speed in her size. This one also shows pretty much no sign of use.

My son and his wife are on their second set of BD bikes after their first ones were stolen.

I put the second set together for them with no issues. Pretty good looking bikes IMO. I wouldn't have any issues ordering one for myself if I felt the need.
Old 04-26-19, 10:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Bikes Direct saves money by not advertising and not developing. They use the same frames as most of the rest of the market around that price-point, and they are up-front about the components they use---usually FSA crank sets, whoever's stems and seat posts, cheap saddles .... I tend to change the seat post and saddle on just about any bike---saddles for fit and seat posts for weight. Cheap stems generally aren't a lot heavier or weaker, in my experience, and unless one is building super-light, i don;'t generally change the bars.

BD bikes are about on par with bikes costing a fair amount more money---the wheels and tires won't be top-rank, the frame will be on par, the components .... well same components on any bike ..... the big differences are the decals on the down tube and the lack of local shop support.

I have dealt with quite a few of them and own one. I check their site periodically, and they often have some pretty great deals, but never on the bike I need art the time.
Old 04-27-19, 12:01 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Does search feature work for new members? Even if not, go do a google search and then follow the links back here. This subject comes up every few days and there are pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages of opinion here.

So what ? Lets discuss it some more. Lightning won't come down and strike.

Last edited by frogman; 04-27-19 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For frogman:
Old 04-27-19, 07:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
So what ? Lets discuss it some more. Lightning won't come down and strike.
Zombie quote! It's ALIVE......

Admittedly, not sure I have ever had an almost two year old comment quoted.
Old 04-27-19, 07:10 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Originally Posted by 88Tempo
My wife and I just picked up two BikesDirect bikes at Goodwill.

1. Aluminum Motobecane Mirage with Tourney 2x7 group. The nubbins are still on the center of the Kenda tires so it hasn't been ridden hardly at all. I'm going to tear it down and weigh the separate parts. It's in my size too.

2. Windsor Clockwork single speed in her size. This one also shows pretty much no sign of use.
Impressive find! There could be a whole thread dedicated to great Goodwill bike finds. I know there have been a few that have tempted me.

My Motobecane Gravel X1 is on its way. Many thanks to the members of this thread for the information. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. My wife already has my old bike sold, so this new one better be a good ride (lol).
Old 04-28-19, 07:13 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
My Bikes Direct bike. I use it as a daily commuter. My only real complaint was that the parts seem to have been tightened down by a gorilla with an air wrench.
Yes, the suspension is garbage, but I knew that when I purchased the bike. Overall, I am happy with it.

At some point I will probably get one of their Full Suspension e-bikes, but not right now. In the meantime, this serves adequately.
Old 04-28-19, 04:28 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
The more money you spend on a BD bike the more ahead you will be of bikes found in LBS's, the lower costing bikes you could probably find the same sort of stuff at Dicks, so no real savings. I have read of some odd complaints about BD, apparently they don't check over the bikes well at all when they shove them out the door, because some were assembled without any lube, not sure what BD did to rectify that problem. I suggest for $75 or so is have a bike shop do all the assembly and check to make sure everything is properly lubed and adjusted. One guy I read on a forum got a bike with a stiff chain link he didn't find out about till he rode it the first time and it tore the derailleur hanger and derailleur off the bike, BD did send him replacement parts but he had to pay to have it repaired. So expect odd stuff, but don't worry too much over it because in reality that sort of things I mentioned are rare from reviews I've read, but prepare yourself to make sure everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb before you ride it. In the reviews I read BD does take some liberty in sending you a bike that isn't exactly as it was described, and their read up of any bike they offer for sale does state that, so keep that in mind. Also according to a few reviewers that weighed their bikes evidently BD is off by at least a half a pound on the heavy side from their advertised weight.

Like I said if I was shopping for a lower end bike I would just go to Dicks and get a Diamondback.
Old 04-28-19, 07:05 PM
sheyn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
last year i got Windsor tourist from BD.
Got on a flash sale for 400 size 64cm.. honestly for that money i couldnt find anything at that price in that size so for me was a no brainer.
I replaced triple crankset and BB with deore, changed saddle, stem,handlebars.. Sold most of it on CL and invested another 50-100 prolly.

So far it has been solid NYC commuter. Its heavy and geometry is bit odd for me [frame being kinda low to ground], but for my size best bang for buck i found so far..
my $.002
Old 04-28-19, 10:22 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I bought two bikes from Bikes Direct, and I quickly learned online photos don't tell the whole story, I eventually scrapped one of the bikes due to it having too much flex in the bottom bracket area, since this caused me to expend far more energy in pedaling, Not a good situation when I had a 400 foot climb home every night after work. I since have bought bikes at the LBS, since I could do a actual hands on test at the store, rather than having to find out after assembly out of the box.
Old 04-30-19, 01:02 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Originally Posted by greatscott
The more money you spend on a BD bike the more ahead you will be of bikes found in LBS's, the lower costing bikes you could probably find the same sort of stuff at Dicks, so no real savings. I have read of some odd complaints about BD, apparently they don't check over the bikes well at all when they shove them out the door, because some were assembled without any lube, not sure what BD did to rectify that problem. I suggest for $75 or so is have a bike shop do all the assembly and check to make sure everything is properly lubed and adjusted. One guy I read on a forum got a bike with a stiff chain link he didn't find out about till he rode it the first time and it tore the derailleur hanger and derailleur off the bike, BD did send him replacement parts but he had to pay to have it repaired. So expect odd stuff, but don't worry too much over it because in reality that sort of things I mentioned are rare from reviews I've read, but prepare yourself to make sure everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb before you ride it. In the reviews I read BD does take some liberty in sending you a bike that isn't exactly as it was described, and their read up of any bike they offer for sale does state that, so keep that in mind. Also according to a few reviewers that weighed their bikes evidently BD is off by at least a half a pound on the heavy side from their advertised weight.

Like I said if I was shopping for a lower end bike I would just go to Dicks and get a Diamondback.
I plan to give it a good inspection when I get my BD bike tomorrow.

Good advice though. Thanks.
Old 04-30-19, 02:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I bought two bikes from Bikes Direct, and I quickly learned online photos don't tell the whole story, I eventually scrapped one of the bikes due to it having too much flex in the bottom bracket area, since this caused me to expend far more energy in pedaling, Not a good situation when I had a 400 foot climb home every night after work. I since have bought bikes at the LBS, since I could do a actual hands on test at the store, rather than having to find out after assembly out of the box.
Curious to hear what model was flexin too much.
Old 04-30-19, 09:44 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Curious to hear what model was flexin too much.
It was the Café Noir model, being a steel bike, the manufacturer decided to try and make it light, but ended up making the frame rather thin in strategic points, like the bottom bracket. Not only was bottom bracket area flexing, but the adjustable handle bar stem was flexing considerably as well, and was replaced with a solid version, though the bottom bracket was the Achilles Heel, causing the bike to eventually be scrapped.

Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bicycles | Road Bikes Cafe Noir
Old 04-30-19, 10:09 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cbustaylor
Curious about experiences or perceptions about bikesdirect.com. I realize the inherent disadvantage of buying a bike online and that it's worth paying more for a bike that is right. However, they're apparently significant discounts are appealing. Appreciate anything you got or alternative sites.
gonna let you all in a on a little secret here.

almost all bikes made from aluminum are made in like 3-4 different factories. in taiwan/china. they are usually made by a worker putting in tubes into a fixture and an ABB robot arm with a mig welder head welds it up in like 35 seconds. done! thats it. no matter if it cost 500 or 5k. almost all of them, are made in the few big factories. the high dollar ones used more sexy shaped tubes. thats it.

giant/specialized/trek/merida/cannondale they all do this. sure giant and merida actually own the factories. but in the end its all the same shizzle imo.

bikedirect get all their bikes from the same factories that giant/specialized/trek do too.
they may use lower spec and cheaper tubes. non bent and "non sexy". but its good enough imo. the frames are usually not subpar in costruction.

cheap bikes use cheap components. i have real problems building a bike for less than 3500€ that i personally think its just barely good enough. ymmv though.
Old 05-01-19, 03:27 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger

almost all bikes made from aluminum are made in like 3-4 different factories. in taiwan/china. they are usually made by a worker putting in tubes into a fixture and an ABB robot arm with a mig welder head welds it up in like 35 seconds. done! thats it. no matter if it cost 500 or 5k. almost all of them, are made in the few big factories. the high dollar ones used more sexy shaped tubes. thats it.

giant/specialized/trek/merida/cannondale they all do this. sure giant and merida actually own the factories. but in the end its all the same shizzle imo.

bikedirect get all their bikes from the same factories that giant/specialized/trek do too.
they may use lower spec and cheaper tubes. non bent and "non sexy". but its good enough imo. the frames are usually not subpar in costruction.

cheap bikes use cheap components. i have real problems building a bike for less than 3500€ that i personally think its just barely good enough. ymmv though.

You didn't just let the cat out of bag, you let all the cats out of the bag
Old 05-01-19, 08:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Who, then, do you think came up with the “msrp” that BD uses?

And actually, assuming they spec and assemble these bikes, or coordinate that process, yes, they are the manufacturers of the bikes.
Yup. "M" in this case is for Marketing. Its like WSI and the Centurion brand.

I'm completely satisfied with everything I've ever purchased from BD or BikeIsland. Maybe a dozen different bikes for myself, spouse, friends. But, I like bikes. So...
Old 05-01-19, 08:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
...bikedirect get all their bikes from the same factories that giant/specialized/trek do too...
Yeah, that's not so. It must be fun to live in a world with broad strokes and assumptions get you by. In the real world, we rely more heavily on facts. Google "Kinesis".
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-01-19, 09:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

almost all bikes made from aluminum are made in like 3-4 different factories. in taiwan/china..
This fact is anything but secret. But it does not mean what many people seem to think it does.

Just because frames come from the same factory, does not mean they are of the same quality. Aside from tubing materials and internal butting (which matter a lot), there can be specification in terms of allowable tolerances, and this makes a difference in terms of quality and manufacture cost. Are the complicated bits cast that way or CNC'ed? Welding thin metal is more exacting than welding thick metal. What sort of pivot bearings are specified?

I am not saying there is reason to doubt the manufacturing quality of BD frames, but the fact that they may come from the same factory as a Santa Cruz does not really mean a whole lot. Whether a frame is flexy or prone to crack is more often due to the specified design than the actual manufacturing of that design.
Old 05-01-19, 10:09 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i know this is a resurrected thread but I got 20,000 miles out of a bikes direct bike. FantomCX,

I upgraded to a new bike because I want wider tires, disk brakes, more mounts, and I broke a wheel (3rd set on the bike) . When I added it all up a newer bike was a better deal. I think I got my $600 out of the bike and then some.
Old 05-02-19, 08:31 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Yeah, that's not so. It must be fun to live in a world with broad strokes and assumptions get you by. In the real world, we rely more heavily on facts. Google "Kinesis".

From reading their Wikipedia page it seems the original statement was partially correct...

"Brands also manufactured by Kinesis include Commencal, Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Haro, Ideal, Jamis, K2, Kona, Kross, Raleigh, Redline Bicycles, Santa Cruz Bicycles, Schwinn, Storck, Sunn, Titus Cycles, Torker, and Trek[4] — as well as the brands marketed by the U.S. company Bikesdirect.com: Motobecane USA, Dawes USA, Cycles Mercier, Windsor America."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.