Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does it make sense? Bar end to STI Shifters? Gevenalle GX Shifter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 09:27 AM
MY3blKAHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon Bike, so does my friend and he hates the bar-end shifters.
Doing a bit of research I saw a few people changing their bar end shifters to these (Gevenalle GX Shifter).

I find that bar end shifters for me are something to either get used to and do better or just don't struggle and change. Where I ride, there are up and down minor elevations and having ability to easily change gears is priceless. So,

1. Does it make sens to change bar end shifters to Gevenalle GX Shifter?
2. Other than the cost of shifters, how expensive/troublesome is it to make that change?

Thank you.
Old 05-07-18, 09:47 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MY3blKAHT
I have a Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon Bike, so does my friend and he hates the bar-end shifters.
Doing a bit of research I saw a few people changing their bar end shifters to these (Gevenalle GX Shifter).

I find that bar end shifters for me are something to either get used to and do better or just don't struggle and change. Where I ride, there are up and down minor elevations and having ability to easily change gears is priceless. So,

2. Other than the cost of shifters, how expensive/troublesome is it to make that change?

Thank you.
I've been interested in those Gevenalle shifters too - they give you the ability to dump or climb multiple gears very quickly without moving your hands from the hoods. I believe that they were originally developed for CX racing, but have found a wider audience. One thing to note is that the cables exit the side of the brake hood and point inward. This might interfere with a larger handlebar bag if you use one. You also need to get the correct model for the amount of cable pull your brakes require. They would probably feel more natural than bar ends.

Also, if you are going to change your brake levers to brake/shifter levers you could also get STI/brifters.

If you are reasonably mechanically inclined and have some bike tools you should be able to handle this yourself. Youtube and the Park Tools website are loaded with how-to videos.

You bar-end cable housing and cables may be long enough that you can modify the lengths to fit the new shifters without having to buy new cable and housing. You will need to unwrap and re-wrap the bar tape in order to change the levers. If you are careful you may be able to re-use the tape - but good tape is pretty cheap - and while you are re-doing it you can put some gel pads under the tape for extra padding. I've used the Planet Bike gel pads and like them.

Once you get the cables re-installed you will need to adjust the shifting front and rear.

Sounds like a good rainy day project. Good Luck.
Old 05-07-18, 09:47 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IIRC, you don't need Gevenalle solutions unless you have a 10sp or higher mtb rear. Your bike is 3x9, correct? I think Shimano 3x9 brifters will work.

Gevenalle works fine (I've had/used them before). The installation is not difficult, but you will have to unwrap and rewrap your bar tape--that's because of the bar end shifters. But the product is a little overpriced for what it is (rebadged Microshift products).
Old 05-07-18, 11:45 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have Microshift barcons on my Randonee and I don't like them much either.

The main problem is that, when you are on the hoods, you have to take your hands off the hoods, every time you want to shift gears. That's unsafe at high speeds.

When on the drops, in my setup, you can't reach the shifters and still be in touch with the brake levers, which I consider unsafe, as well.

If you use the Gevenalle shifters, you solve the problem of shifting with your hands on the hoods. However, when you are on the drops, you have to let go of the drops to shift. Just as unsafe, although likely it would occur less often.

Brifters is the right answer. As mentioned correctly above, if you have a 3X9 setup, you will have the correct pull ratios (my Microshift shifters are m10 to make the pull ratios possible) for an easier swap. Another issue you may encounter is whether your new brake levers will have the same pull ratio like your old brake levers. Also, the front derailleur may present you with problems too, requiring an adapter.

I opened a thread about migrating from Microshift barcons to brifters and a lot of knowledgeable people offered assistance. Should you decide to go the brifter way, it might help:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-randonee.html
Old 05-07-18, 12:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I love my Gevenalle shifters. I do wish they used a more ergo lever like the SRAM S500s or something similar to the feel of a newer Shimano STI lever but aside from that I love the actuation of the shifting and the brakes work just great. The problem with most STI levers (minus Di2) is the brake lever is also a shifter so it moves and I just like a brake lever to be just that, a brake lever. DoubleTap solves that problem but I just didn't like the shifter actuation but with Gevenalle I get the ability to sweep a cassette or fine tune a front derailleur all while having a brake lever that is just a brake lever.
Old 05-07-18, 12:37 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MY3blKAHT

Thank you.
I think your first problem is you are trying to mimic your friend, first in buying the bike, and secondly in changing to the shifters they prefer. Have you really given the bar ends a good go yet, or are you changing because your friend is?

I have a couple bikes with bar ends. In fact, other than my flat bar bikes, I am in the process of changing everything to bar ends, I simply like them better. I'd argue they are nicer for shifting going up and down hills, I can dump them three, four, five steps in a quick go. I'm not saying this to try and encourage you towards one or another, but you do need to get on your bike and make your own decision, independent of your friend.

All that said, a relative has those on his fat bike, they are nice shifters.
Old 05-07-18, 09:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Gevenalle are great. I have 11sp on my gravel bike- its easy to use, quick, etc.
not the prettiest of setups, but oh well.

expensive to just try out- $150-200 on a maybe solution isnt appealing to many, but have at it if ypu like!
Old 05-07-18, 10:52 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
The main problem is that, when you are on the hoods, you have to take your hands off the hoods, every time you want to shift gears. That's unsafe at high speeds.

When on the drops, in my setup, you can't reach the shifters and still be in touch with the brake levers, which I consider unsafe, as well.

Amazing anyone survived 50 years of down tube shifters....
Old 05-07-18, 11:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its combining 2 simple levers,
really..simpler than STI.. of late Mate...
Old 05-07-18, 11:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by rgconner
less fat and more flexible ?

If in the drops, bent over, it was an easy reach

I was younger.. a quick slap on the lever moved it.. next cog bigger/lower
Old 05-08-18, 07:32 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
less fat and more flexible ?

If in the drops, bent over, it was an easy reach

I was younger.. a quick slap on the lever moved it.. next cog bigger/lower
But the guy I quoted does not even want to take his hands off the hoods to shift from the endbars because it is TOO DANGEROUS.

Downtube shifters must an existential crisis by comparison.
Old 05-08-18, 09:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Gevenalle has a origin in Cyclocross racing in bike rich Portland Oregon...

relocating a down tube or bar end lever to the front of the bars,front of the brake lever hoods.

and work in muddy races, and be less costly to replace, during the week between races..

Crash replacements if your 105 + Brifter is damaged is a lot more expensive..
Old 05-08-18, 04:06 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
And some of us still use them.
I do have a sudo-CX bike that came with bar-end shifters which I switched to STI because it scared the crap out of me doing 20 MPH off road and trying to get a gear for a climb. On a road only bike I don't think it makes a difference unless you are in a pack racing and bumping.

If you like them get them but IMO they are ugly as hell.