Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Statins and joint pain

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Statins and joint pain

Old 08-21-18, 02:11 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
To all those with muscle pains from statins I have to ask, don't you worry about heart damage? The heart after all is a muscle, not an organ.

This is an aspect about statins that doctors seem to ignore and besides the terrible leg and hip pains I experienced, and the general lousy overall feeling I had, it was the possibility of doing damage to my heart muscle that scared me from ever taking statins again.
Old 08-21-18, 03:41 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I had my coronary arteries looked at via a CT angiogram. They were considerably better than is typical for someone my age, but not as good as they should be for someone with my diet and exercise regime.

So my doc convinced me to go on a low dose of Lipitor. All went fine until I got about 1 month into it. I developed elbow pain that came out of nowhere. I've never injured my elbow and I've never had pain in it until then. I stopped taking them and it went away.

Later, my doc convinced me to try a low dose of Crestor instead. All went fine for about 6 months, when I started to develop hip issues ... both sides at the same time. I stopped taking the Crestor, and I'm hoping it goes away.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm off the statins for good. I'll become a vegetarian if necessary, and if that doesn't work, I'll live with the increased heart attack risk. Ain't no way I'm going to make myself an invalid of my own accord.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 09-07-18, 11:00 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My final outcome from my statin therapy is that after about 9 months on 20mg atorvastatin and 1 month on 40mg pravastatin, I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). The pain in both muscles and joints had started a couple months earlier and had just gotten worse and worse, so I went off the statins. A month later, the pain was still getting worse. PMR is an autoimmune inflammatory disease. There is some inconclusive evidence that it can be brought on by nerve damage related to statin use. For me, there's no question. I've never had anything even vaguely like this before. No question for me, it was the statin. I'm now on a long-term therapy for PMR. The literature says it can take years to get rid of it. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long!

My main noticeable symptoms are that my hands are so stiff it's hard to make a fist, my hips are stiff and sore, and it hurts like the very devil to raise my straight arms in front of me from my sides to overhead. This latter symptom is diagnostic. I'm currently on prednisone, a very powerful anti-inflammatory hormone, which is working like a charm but has its own dangers. At least I'm pain-free and can sleep soundly again and can exercise again. Went on a wonderful hike yesterday, only 3 miles and 1200', but it's a start.
Old 09-08-18, 08:56 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My final outcome from my statin therapy is that after about 9 months on 20mg atorvastatin and 1 month on 40mg pravastatin, I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). The pain in both muscles and joints had started a couple months earlier and had just gotten worse and worse, so I went off the statins. A month later, the pain was still getting worse. PMR is an autoimmune inflammatory disease. There is some inconclusive evidence that it can be brought on by nerve damage related to statin use. For me, there's no question. I've never had anything even vaguely like this before. No question for me, it was the statin. I'm now on a long-term therapy for PMR. The literature says it can take years to get rid of it. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long!

My main noticeable symptoms are that my hands are so stiff it's hard to make a fist, my hips are stiff and sore, and it hurts like the very devil to raise my straight arms in front of me from my sides to overhead. This latter symptom is diagnostic. I'm currently on prednisone, a very powerful anti-inflammatory hormone, which is working like a charm but has its own dangers. At least I'm pain-free and can sleep soundly again and can exercise again. Went on a wonderful hike yesterday, only 3 miles and 1200', but it's a start.
Really sorry to hear about your statin related issues.

I get angry when I see stories like yours. I believe these pills are poison. Someday some intrepid reporter or ex employee of a pharma company will blow the whistle and lift the veil of just how dangerous statins can be. If you look at truly independent studies, not those sponsored by big pharma or medical associations tied to them, you can see for yourself how utterly useless these pills are in preventing first heart attacks. You will also learn how dangerous they can be to not not only muscles and joints but also your heart, which is a muscle, not an organ. You will also learn the myth surrounding cholesterol, the no-cholesterol diets and the absolute vital role cholesterol plays in our health.

I'm off that poison now and I feel great again, not like the old decrepit man I felt like while on them. I was 52 but felt like 80. I to had terrible hip and elbow pain among other pains and a general unhealthy feeling everyday. I couldn't exercise, couldn't walk far, couldn't cycle much and the gym was struggle at best. Some days even work was painful. I wish you the best in your recovery from these poison pills.

I would not tell anyone to get off of statins and nobody should listen to me, but please do your research! Do not blindly follow the herd! Take back your health from these drug pushers...
Likes For Giacomo 1:
Old 09-08-18, 09:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1

I get angry when I see stories like yours. I believe these pills are poison. Someday some intrepid reporter or ex employee of a pharma company will blow the whistle and lift the veil of just how dangerous statins can be. If you look at truly independent studies, not those sponsored by big pharma or medical associations tied to them, you can see for yourself how utterly useless these pills are in preventing first heart attacks. You will also learn how dangerous they can be to not not only muscles and joints but also your heart, which is a muscle, not an organ. You will also learn the myth surrounding cholesterol, the no-cholesterol diets and the absolute vital role cholesterol plays in our health.

I'm off that poison now and I feel great again, not like the old decrepit man I felt like while on them. I was 52 but felt like 80. I to had terrible hip and elbow pain among other pains and a general unhealthy feeling everyday. I couldn't exercise, couldn't walk far, couldn't cycle much and the gym was struggle at best. Some days even work was painful. I wish you the best in your recovery from these poison pills.

I would not tell anyone to get off of statins and nobody should listen to me, but please do your research! Do not blindly follow the herd! Take back your health from these drug pushers...
I hear you and appreciate your voice, but your words would be much more powerful were you to add links to the studies to which you refer. Search words are tricky and not everyone had the permissions, inclinations, and ability to do a thorough search of the literature. Google always returns the most used links, which as you say are probably pharma-linked studies.

The research I've done shows unequivocal decreases in all-cause mortality for those on statins. Statins obviously do a lot more than simply reduce cholesterol, some of it seemingly good, some of it seemingly bad. However, and it's a big However on these forums, the general population getting longer life from statins is not us. We are not the general population. I'm personally probably in the top .1% in terms of fitness for my age. I do notice that in so many things I throw off little damages or illnesses that cripple or take half a year to get over for other people my age. Fitness, IMO, does make a huge difference in our general health. And thus I rather doubt the effectiveness of statins in treating those of us who maintain a high state of fitness. AFAIK there are no statin studies of folks like us.
Old 09-08-18, 12:33 PM
Giacomo 1 

I can't link off of my cell phone, but please look up Linus Pauling.

Some say he was one of the smartest men America ever had, others say he was a quack. But his in-depth studies on cholesterol, among many other things, cannot be ignored. He knows the root cause of the cholesterol problem is not the cholesterol itself, but the arteries that harden as we age and make the passage tougher. He has natural methods for helping the body take care of the cholesterol the way it did when we were younger.

Again, do your own research and make your own conclusion. There is a wealth of info out there. I fully admit I am not a Big Pharma fan, I think they have ruined Western medicine because we no longer look for cures, just pills to mask and cover what is really ailing us.
Old 09-08-18, 11:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I can't link off of my cell phone, but please look up Linus Pauling.

Some say he was one of the smartest men America ever had, others say he was a quack. But his in-depth studies on cholesterol, among many other things, cannot be ignored. He knows the root cause of the cholesterol problem is not the cholesterol itself, but the arteries that harden as we age and make the passage tougher. He has natural methods for helping the body take care of the cholesterol the way it did when we were younger.

Again, do your own research and make your own conclusion. There is a wealth of info out there. I fully admit I am not a Big Pharma fan, I think they have ruined Western medicine because we no longer look for cures, just pills to mask and cover what is really ailing us.
Ah, too bad. Pauling was not a medical man nor trained and experienced in epidemiological studies. His vitamin C theories were debunked a very long time ago. There are still a few people out there on the internet trying to make money off those theories, but that's it.
https://www.quackwatch.org/01Quacker...s/pauling.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ements/277947/

There is some evidence that ordinary doses of vitamin C, 500-1000mg, reduce cholesterol a small amount. More than that seems to make it worse.
https://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...e/#entry355101

And of course Linus and his wife died of cancer.
Old 09-09-18, 07:12 AM
Giacomo 1 

I've heard all the nonsense about Pauling. As I said, some people call him a quack, and I guess you fall in that category. I mean you did read 2 or 3 Google hits on the man, so I can understand. We often call people quacks when they threaten the status quo. After all, there's an industry to protect.

And Linus lived well into his 90's. Ill take that.
Old 09-09-18, 06:49 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I've been on the maximum dose of statin for nineteen years. No known side effects from them.

It is true with almost any medication that is one of a class of drugs that often changing drugs or lowering the dosage can eliminate the problem symptoms.
Old 09-09-18, 07:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by BengalCat
I've been on the maximum dose of statin for nineteen years. No known side effects from them.

It is true with almost any medication that is one of a class of drugs that often changing drugs or lowering the dosage can eliminate the problem symptoms.
Yes, I have a riding buddy with a similar experience - no problems whatsoever. We're all different. I was on a minimal dose and did change drugs, but no improvement. Been off them now for 2 months, almost over my PMR and for the first time in a year, I feel alive again. I just started to train again 10 days ago, having been in the worst condition I can remember. I'm already stronger and more able.
Old 09-10-18, 06:30 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by BengalCat

I tried 4 different statins.

Lipitor was the first and worst. The pain was awful. I went to another, whose name escapes me, and still felt pains. Then I went to Crestor, and I think I began to feel better, but not 100%. I think by that time I was just confused as to what was causing my problems. I really didn't want to believe it was the statins mainly because my doctor didn't believe it was! It was weird actually. But then Crestor went off my medical plan and became unaffordable, so it was onto Simvostatin and pains started to return.

That was it for me. I was tired of the rollercoaster and the constant blood tests and wondering what damage could be occurring. And I was still pretty young in great shape with no history of heart disease in my family during all of this! Luckily, unlike carbonfiberboy, I have no lasting damage and feel good again, actually great. I now do intermittent fasting, which helped a few issues, take heavy doses of vitamin C as an anti- inflammatory, Hawthorne berries and collagen, to help arteries and blood flow. Arteriosclerosus is the root of the cholesterol problem, not the cholesterol itself. Healthy arteries are the key. I am now borderline high cholesterol, a number where some doctors would put me on statins, some wouldn't. I am happy here and hope to get alittle better.
Old 09-10-18, 08:03 AM
Giacomo 1 

To be fair, I forgot to say that I go to the gym 3 days a week to lift weights and I cycle (this is bike forums afterall!)😊 pretty hard 2, 3 or 4 days a week. It is said that a good exercise regime is worth more than taking a statin, and I never would be able to do all this exercise at 59 while on a statin. Honestly, it might be easier to deal with the pain and be a couch potato and have low cholesterol numbers instead of doing all this work, but I can't believe that is preferable or better than being fit.

Last edited by Giacomo 1; 09-10-18 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-10-18, 01:26 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I hear you and appreciate your voice, but your words would be much more powerful were you to add links to the studies to which you refer. Search words are tricky and not everyone had the permissions, inclinations, and ability to do a thorough search of the literature. Google always returns the most used links, which as you say are probably pharma-linked studies.

The research I've done shows unequivocal decreases in all-cause mortality for those on statins. Statins obviously do a lot more than simply reduce cholesterol, some of it seemingly good, some of it seemingly bad. However, and it's a big However on these forums, the general population getting longer life from statins is not us. We are not the general population. I'm personally probably in the top .1% in terms of fitness for my age. I do notice that in so many things I throw off little damages or illnesses that cripple or take half a year to get over for other people my age. Fitness, IMO, does make a huge difference in our general health. And thus I rather doubt the effectiveness of statins in treating those of us who maintain a high state of fitness. AFAIK there are no statin studies of folks like us.
I'm on my home computer, where I can copy and paste like a pro, so here are some links that show the downsides of statins -

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ctiveness.aspx

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...effects-news#1

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-c...aid-for-years/

Statins Are the Greatest Medical Fraud of All Time: Study Reports - Gaia Health

https://saveyourheart.com/downloads/...-dangerous.pdf

There are plenty of other studies out there to look at. No doubt, some will give glowing reports of statins being a life-saver, which in some folks, is indeed possible. But I think the medical society is starting to take a real hard look at statins, and there over prescription, and whether they are worth the possible long term risks for otherwise healthy people. For that, I am glad. I also apologize for getting snarky about Linus Pauling. I admire his work on cholesterol, which by-the-way, continues today at I believe Oregon State U.. Alternatives are a good thing.
Old 09-10-18, 06:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I'm on my home computer, where I can copy and paste like a pro, so here are some links that show the downsides of statins -

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ctiveness.aspx

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...effects-news#1

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-c...aid-for-years/

Statins Are the Greatest Medical Fraud of All Time: Study Reports - Gaia Health

https://saveyourheart.com/downloads/...-dangerous.pdf

There are plenty of other studies out there to look at. No doubt, some will give glowing reports of statins being a life-saver, which in some folks, is indeed possible. But I think the medical society is starting to take a real hard look at statins, and there over prescription, and whether they are worth the possible long term risks for otherwise healthy people. For that, I am glad. I also apologize for getting snarky about Linus Pauling. I admire his work on cholesterol, which by-the-way, continues today at I believe Oregon State U.. Alternatives are a good thing.
Thanks. I think most of us are on board with the idea that statins can have bad effects on our health. My cardio put my on a statin because of known heart disease and total cholesterol slightly over 200, though my LDL/HDL ratio was pretty good. The evidence that statins reduce coronary events is quite strong: https://www.saofranciscoocupacional.c..._downloads.pdf
Statin therapy can safely reduce the 5-year incidence of major coronary events, coronary revascularisation, and stroke by about one fifth per mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol, largely irrespective of the initial lipid profile or other presenting characteristics. The absolute benefit relates chiefly to an individual’s absolute risk of such events and to the absolute reduction in LDL cholesterol achieved. These findings reinforce the need to consider prolonged statin treatment with substantial LDL cholesterol reductions in all patients at high risk of any type of major vascular event.
However I don't see that any of the links in your post back up your previous claims:

All together, I feel that it's too bad that I can't take a statin and probably have a longer and healthier life. But apparently I and a large percentage of other at-risk people simply can't take them. It's well known in the medical community that statins have very complex effects and that they have many positive effects in reducing coronary events beyond simply changing cholesterol levels. These other effects are little understood, similar to the bad effects they have. Little understood. More research may some day enlighten us.
Old 09-10-18, 07:35 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
When I started this thread back in June, joint pain was pretty bad. It was painful as hell to simply lift my leg high enough to get on the bike. Since then I changed my diet to about 98% vegetarian, cut my rosuvastatin dosage in half (with the "OK" from my cardio), started taking 300 mg COQ10 per day, and lost 15 pounds. My cholesterol numbers are great AND I'm totally off my blood pressure medication. Joint pain is totally gone. I don't know if it's because of the lowered statin dosage, or the COQ10, or a combination of the two... but I feel great again!
Old 09-11-18, 08:25 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Igotdibs
When I started this thread back in June, joint pain was pretty bad. It was painful as hell to simply lift my leg high enough to get on the bike. Since then I changed my diet to about 98% vegetarian, cut my rosuvastatin dosage in half (with the "OK" from my cardio), started taking 300 mg COQ10 per day, and lost 15 pounds. My cholesterol numbers are great AND I'm totally off my blood pressure medication. Joint pain is totally gone. I don't know if it's because of the lowered statin dosage, or the COQ10, or a combination of the two... but I feel great again!
Good for you!

You took charge of your health. More Americans must do this. We can't expect to have a lousy diet, be overweight, live a sedentary life-style and then go to a pill to compensate. Sometimes it can't be helped, but we at least should make an effort.

Hopefully someday, you can get off of statins all-together.
Old 09-18-18, 09:00 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I had my first blood tests after being on Lipitor for the past two months. My cholesterol went from 208 to 120. I am fortunate that I have not had the pain that many here have shared. There is also not much I can do about my cholesterol with my life style as I ride between 130 and 140 miles a week and I haven't eaten any animal products or dairy in 40 years.
(My cholesterol had actually been as high as 208 this January. Edited above).

Last edited by jskash; 09-20-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 05:50 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by jskash
I had my first blood tests after being on Lipitor for the past two months. My cholesterol went from 180 to 120. I am fortunate that I have not had the pain that many here have shared. There is also not much I can do about my cholesterol with my life style as I ride between 130 and 140 miles a week and I haven't eaten any animal products or dairy in 40 years.
I'm sorry, but why the heck would your doctor put you on a statin with a number like 180!!!?

180 is very good. Actually, anything under 200 is considered great. Your still at borderline high cholesterol at 240.

Unless you have some underlying cause, heart disease in the family or something I simply cannot see why you are on a statin, especially considering your dietary habits and workout mileage.
Old 09-20-18, 09:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I'm sorry, but why the heck would your doctor put you on a statin with a number like 180!!!?
Unless you have some underlying cause, heart disease in the family or something I simply cannot see why you are on a statin, especially considering your dietary habits and workout mileage.
Not enough information to draw any conclusions. As you note, there are reasons (personal or familiar history of heart disease, chest pains, known CV problems) to try to reduce cholesterol levels. Some of the cardiologists I know aim for TC of 150, and a couple aim for 100 for their cardiac patients.
Old 09-21-18, 06:09 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not enough information to draw any conclusions. As you note, there are reasons (personal or familiar history of heart disease, chest pains, known CV problems) to try to reduce cholesterol levels. Some of the cardiologists I know aim for TC of 150, and a couple aim for 100 for their cardiac patients.

Perhaps they had some evidence of blockages.

I'm no doc, but IMHO, a CT angiogram to see the actual condition of your arteries makes sense before starting statin use. Why guess whether they are needed or not?

Old 09-21-18, 10:18 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Biker395
Perhaps they had some evidence of blockages.

I'm no doc, but IMHO, a CT angiogram to see the actual condition of your arteries makes sense before starting statin use. Why guess whether they are needed or not?

Well, according to the CDC, 28% of American men and women over 40 are on statins.

That tells me that doctors are way to quick to prescribe the meds. But who can blame them, they work at lowering cholesterol and its easy. It doesn't however get down to the root cause of the problem, which is inflammation and hardening of the arteries. Our bodies need cholesterol, and it would pass through our arteries without a problem if they are healthy. Will the medical field ever look for the real cure when their so much money being made on statins? Probably not.
Old 10-09-18, 10:14 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

I had my coronary arteries looked at via a CT angiogram. They were considerably better than is typical for someone my age, but not as good as they should be for someone with my diet and exercise regime.

So my doc convinced me to go on a low dose of Lipitor. All went fine until I got about 1 month into it. I developed elbow pain that came out of nowhere. I've never injured my elbow and I've never had pain in it until then. I stopped taking them and it went away.

Later, my doc convinced me to try a low dose of Crestor instead. All went fine for about 6 months, when I started to develop hip issues ... both sides at the same time. I stopped taking the Crestor, and I'm hoping it goes away.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm off the statins for good. I'll become a vegetarian if necessary, and if that doesn't work, I'll live with the increased heart attack risk. Ain't no way I'm going to make myself an invalid of my own accord.
Well, I can now say this ... it took a couple of months off of Crestor, but the hip issues have essentially disappeared. I'm thankful for that ... had the hip issues gotten any worse, it would have been dibilitating.

Now to figure out what's next ...

Old 10-10-18, 07:20 AM
Giacomo 1 

Well, I can now say this ... it took a couple of months off of Crestor, but the hip issues have essentially disappeared. I'm thankful for that ... had the hip issues gotten any worse, it would have been dibilitating.

Now to figure out what's next ...
Glad you healed up.

You could try intermittent fasting. It works for lowering cholesterol and clears up other issues as well. To much to explain here, but look it up. Its not a diet, its actually a way of life that once mastered can easily be done for the rest of your life.
Old 10-10-18, 08:16 AM
1-track-mind

Bikes: 92 Bridgestone xo-2 Turner Sultan

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2metalhips
For those who have not had a cardiac event try a whole food plant based diet. Research Dr Caldwell Esselstyn (Prevent and Reverse heart disease), Dr Dean Ornish, Dr John MacDougall, Dr Garth Davis, T Colin Campbell Phd (The China Study) Dr Kim Williams, past president of the ACC, who said "There are two types of cardiologist, vegans and those who haven't read the data." The average Dr knows absolutely nothing about diet and lifestyle. If you do try this you have to let your Dr know because if you are on stats your numbers can drop really quickly. Take control of your health.
I agree. Read "How not to die" by Michael Greger. It'a a life changer.
Old 10-10-18, 12:02 PM
2metalhips

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
I agree. Read "How not to die" by Michael Greger. It'a a life changer.
Yes, I agree, that is the first book I read on nutrition. I have read it three more times, so much information. It changed my life also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.