Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannondale Topstone

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 12:49 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
God help us if we ever have to service the bottom brackets on our Topstones ourselves! This is a Herculean effort, thanks for sharing your pains!
Old 03-30-19, 01:04 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Pretty safe to say the tiny alloy self-extracting bolt retainer never stood a chance. Still working on this...

Jeez, this just reinforces that I don’t want the FSA crankset and bottom bracket system. I’ve never had these problems with Hollowtech II!

Don’t mess up your BB shell threads!

Last edited by HarborBandS; 03-30-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 01:07 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS

Jeez, this just reinforces that I don’t want the FSA crankset and bottom bracket system. I’ve never had these problems with Hollowtech II!

Don’t mess up your BB shell threads!
Add this to the list of reasons why no one should ever own anything FSA. I beginning to think the arm and spindle have fused together.
Old 03-30-19, 07:01 PM
shoota 

I win.

I hope I can get used to these slack angles, it feels really weird.

Old 03-30-19, 07:08 PM
itskohler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I win.

I hope I can get used to these slack angles, it feels really weird.

Looks pretty slick. As my fitsr non-mtb I've been loving minem what exactly feels weird.to you?
Old 03-30-19, 07:21 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by itskohler
Looks pretty slick. As my fitsr non-mtb I've been loving minem what exactly feels weird.to you?
The slack seat tube. I've already got a zero setback seatpost and I can tell already I'm going to have to scoot the saddle even more forward. It's going to look weird.
Old 03-30-19, 10:02 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

The slack seat tube. I've already got a zero setback seatpost and I can tell already I'm going to have to scoot the saddle even more forward. It's going to look weird.
What angle are you used to?

The Topstone’s 73 degrees is as slack as I like to go. Most bikes I’ve owned have been 73 or 74 degrees. The Prelude I was going to sell you is 72.5, and yes, I have the saddle as far forward as it goes in that one!

Old 03-31-19, 06:38 AM
shoota 

What angle are you used to?

The Topstone’s 73 degrees is as slack as I like to go. Most bikes I’ve owned have been 73 or 74 degrees. The Prelude I was going to sell you is 72.5, and yes, I have the saddle as far forward as it goes in that one!

yeah now that you mention it, and I look at the geo charts, it’s really not that different from anything else. Something feels weird though. Maybe it’s the low bb? I’m used to my SuperX and sitting “on it”, the Topstone feels like I’m sitting “in it”. We’ll see how that translates on a pure gravel ride, but on pavement it sure does feel sluggish. (The tires/wheels are certainly not helping there).
Old 03-31-19, 08:18 AM
itskohler

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

yeah now that you mention it, and I look at the geo charts, it’s really not that different from anything else. Something feels weird though. Maybe it’s the low bb? I’m used to my SuperX and sitting “on it”, the Topstone feels like I’m sitting “in it”. We’ll see how that translates on a pure gravel ride, but on pavement it sure does feel sluggish. (The tires/wheels are certainly not helping there).
What length crank arms are you using? Mine came with 170, and Im used to 175, that makes the bike feel weird under me.
Old 03-31-19, 09:37 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by itskohler
What length crank arms are you using? Mine came with 170, and Im used to 175, that makes the bike feel weird under me.
172.5, which is what I use, so no problem there.
Old 03-31-19, 03:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,757 Posts
shoota, maybe you will consider posting a comparison of the Topstone and the Tamland once you get a few miles on the new bike. Few complaints here with the Tamland (other than weight) but wish the Topstone had been available when I was in the market.
Old 03-31-19, 08:02 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
It feels weird because they lengthened the top tube. Run a size smaller stem than you normally do, and all will be right in the world again.

My guess.....
Old 04-01-19, 07:19 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Metieval
It feels weird because they lengthened the top tube. Run a size smaller stem than you normally do, and all will be right in the world again.

My guess.....
Well you know, the front end doesn't feel too bad but the back end just feels soooo slack. My SuperX has a STA of 73.5* and the Topstone is 73.1*. I'm not an angle expert but those numbers aren't enormously different number wise, but to the naked eye the Topstone's seattube is noticeably slacker than the SuperX's. And I can definitely feel it on the bike. I had to scoot the saddle forward quite a bit to accommodate for that .
Old 04-01-19, 07:21 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
shoota, maybe you will consider posting a comparison of the Topstone and the Tamland once you get a few miles on the new bike. Few complaints here with the Tamland (other than weight) but wish the Topstone had been available when I was in the market.
So far I'm liking the Tamland better. I will wait to finalize that opinion until I get the Topstone set up tubeless and put more actual gravel miles on. If lighter wheels and tires set up tubeless don't feel noticeably snappier than the Tamland then I will give the nod to the Tamland because it is freaky smooth.
Old 04-01-19, 08:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,757 Posts
Thanks
Old 04-01-19, 12:04 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Lava
God help us if we ever have to service the bottom brackets on our Topstones ourselves! This is a Herculean effort, thanks for sharing your pains!
There's a good chance that yours won't be like this. It could have been something as simple as water getting in there and corroding/fusing the arm to the spindle as it sat in the shop for months and months. If I were you guys I would try the 8mm bolt and see if it works without much effort. If it does great, if it doesn't then take it back to the shop where you got it and let them try, in case it breaks.
Old 04-01-19, 04:38 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to hearing your opinion compared to your SuperX.
Old 04-01-19, 07:39 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by redlude97
Nice! Looking forward to hearing your opinion compared to your SuperX.
I already wish I would have bought a new geo SuperX. And I still may, but I need some gravel miles on this first.
Old 04-02-19, 08:18 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

I already wish I would have bought a new geo SuperX. And I still may, but I need some gravel miles on this first.
Don't talk yourself out of liking the bike before you even try it!

I'm curious about the compliance of the frame. I'm well in to my 40's now and get pain from harsh washboard rides. I had been favoring the Trek Checkpoint SL5 because of the frame compliance of carbon plus IsoSpeed, but need to try out the rear IsoSpeed a bit more before making the leap.

I'm still rocked by experience with some old harsh aluminum frames, but I'm told the newer aluminum frames have solved some of these issues. But this Topstone is such a nice package for the price!
Old 04-02-19, 08:32 AM
shoota 

I'm curious about the compliance of the frame. I'm well in to my 40's now and get pain from harsh washboard rides. I had been favoring the Trek Checkpoint SL5 because of the frame compliance of carbon plus IsoSpeed, but need to try out the rear IsoSpeed a bit more before making the leap.

I'm still rocked by experience with some old harsh aluminum frames, but I'm told the newer aluminum frames have solved some of these issues. But this Topstone is such a nice package for the price!
To be sure, it's no late 80s Cannondale crit racer. It's definitely stiffer than any of the steel gravel bikes I've ridden, but not by much, and it could arguably be attributed to the tires/PSI.
Old 04-02-19, 08:35 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It seems pretty smooth for me so far, but I've yet to take mine off-road. NYC streets give plenty of opportunity to feel the road, however, and as someone who has back/neck pain from an old injury, the Topstone has definitely helped the post-ride recovery. I have to spend some longer time in the saddle to get a better sense of how well it does on this front, though, so I'll report back when I do. John Watson from The Radavist had good things to say about the ride quality, and since they focus a lot on nice riding hand-built steel bikes, I take that as plenty positive.

Frankly, I think I could have benefited from an Isospeed or Futureshock system, but didn't want the headache that these proprietary components would have given me down the line. I really appreciate the Topstone's simplicity, and might look into a suspension seatpost if I feel like I need a little more compliance in the future.
Old 04-02-19, 08:40 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by Lava
It seems pretty smooth for me so far, but I've yet to take mine off-road. NYC streets give plenty of opportunity to feel the road, however, and as someone who has back/neck pain from an old injury, the Topstone has definitely helped the post-ride recovery. I have to spend some longer time in the saddle to get a better sense of how well it does on this front, though, so I'll report back when I do. John Watson from The Radavist had good things to say about the ride quality, and since they focus a lot on nice riding hand-built steel bikes, I take that as plenty positive.

Frankly, I think I could have benefited from an Isospeed or Futureshock system, but didn't want the headache that these proprietary components would have given me down the line. I really appreciate the Topstone's simplicity, and might look into a suspension seatpost if I feel like I need a little more compliance in the future.
The simplicity is appealing to me as well, though i don't think IsoSpeed will ever require any additional maintenance. I could be wrong about that... Something I need to clarify. FutureShock is a non-starter for me.

Frankly, if the Cannondale Synapse had greater tire clearance, I would snap one up.
Old 04-04-19, 04:34 AM
Badstoob

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 105 Topstone seems to be rarer than rocking horse poo but the apex model is in stock. Is there anything that you guys would consider needs upgrading from the off? I read somewhere, perhaps on here that a carbon model is coming but cannot find any information.
Old 04-04-19, 05:52 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Badstoob
The 105 Topstone seems to be rarer than rocking horse poo but the apex model is in stock. Is there anything that you guys would consider needs upgrading from the off? I read somewhere, perhaps on here that a carbon model is coming but cannot find any information.
I think it's speculation at this point, but if it is indeed as popular as it appears to be (hard to find everywhere), a carbon tier seems a likely eventuality.

The Apex model gets you upgraded wheels, the WTB i23 light, which is the only part of the bike I've felt needs upgrading from the get go on the 105 model. And even then, the i23s that come stock seem pretty capable, if not exactly light, so they may be just fine depending on your use case for the bike.
Old 04-04-19, 07:22 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by Badstoob
I read somewhere, perhaps on here that a carbon model is coming but cannot find any information.
I asked the guys at my LBS about it when I test-rode the Sora Topstone (the only trim level they had in stock in my size). They said it was very unlikely within the next model year, and they had no specific information about a carbon model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.