Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 with WiFi anyone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 with WiFi anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 06:55 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Di2 with WiFi anyone?

I have Di2 on my bike and love it. Not looking to start a debate between electronic shifting vs. traditional shifting.

What I am curious about though is, out of those of you who have the Di2 shifting, how many of you have the WiFi module attached to the battery? And is it worth the added cost? And does it drain the battery quicker?

I presently don't have the WiFi module on my bike. I don't (think I) need to go in and modify the shifting through the Shimano app at all. And while I don't have the gearing showing up on my Garmin, I never had the before with regular cable shifting. So I don't see the need to have it now. Although it would be nice to have.

Anyway. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 09-29-18, 07:02 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It’s pretty gimmicky if you ask me..if I really really really need to change something I’ll just get my shop to do it, you shouldn’t be changing stuff that often or any to justify etube attachment, that’s just me though, im no techno toy geek, just a functional gets the job done kinda guy. Love di2 though
Old 09-29-18, 07:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
It isn't wifi, it is bluetooth. Have it on my gravel rig. Adds some nice touches, Garmin control, shifting readout on Wahoo/Edge, as well as firmware customization of Di2 via phone. Doesn't really use that much battery.
Old 09-29-18, 08:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I like having it. My watch tells me how much battery is left, and can update the firmware. It also tells me how many times I shifted. I shift a hell of a lot more often now than when I first got Di2, which makes me feel like the whole electronic shifting thing wew a good move for me.

Is any of that necessary? Of course not. Is it worth it? Depends how much they money means to you.
Old 09-29-18, 08:53 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have it, doesn't drain the battery noticeably. I have the 8050 group so I can use the hood buttons to page through my Garmin pages. Worth it just for that in addition to the already mentioned benefits.
Old 09-29-18, 09:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The bluetooth module has been sitting inside my bike for 1.5 years and I haven't used it once.

-Tim-
Old 09-29-18, 09:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The bluetooth module has been sitting inside my bike for 1.5 years and I haven't used it once.

-Tim-
You have to use it at least once. I even updated my firmware once, just to see what it would be like.
Old 09-29-18, 10:07 PM
NoWhammies

Yeah, see that's where I can it being useful - the firmware updates. I haven't done any firmware updating since purchasing my bike earlier this summer. I am just hoping/assuming that there have been no updates.

And yeah, perhaps it would be interesting to see what my gearing is like on my bike. Although I don't have the 8050 groupo so I wouldn't be able to change the screens on my Garmin from the shifters.
Old 09-29-18, 10:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
You have to use it at least once.
No, he doesn't.
Old 09-29-18, 10:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Yeah, see that's where I can it being useful - the firmware updates. I haven't done any firmware updating since purchasing my bike earlier this summer. I am just hoping/assuming that there have been no updates.
You don't need it to do the firmware updates.
Old 09-29-18, 10:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Yeah, see that's where I can it being useful - the firmware updates.
It is the one thing they recommend not doing using the wireless interface, as it has a tendency to brick the system.
Old 09-30-18, 08:35 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ditto on using wifi to update firmware: I tried to use a wifi connection to update firmware and it bricked my system and had to use the hardwire connection to get things working again. However, I find the wireless (bluetooth) unit very useful. I pay considerable attention to gearing while riding and having that information displayed my computer is especially useful for me. I recently rented a bike while on a bike vacation and I found that looking down and guessing about the rear cog positioning was much less satisfying and more distracting than just glancing at my computer. Next to heart rate, it is the information I use the most while riding.
Old 09-30-18, 02:48 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I love having gearing show up on my Wahoo Bolt. It was also handy to be notified that I needed to charge Di2.
Old 09-30-18, 04:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

You have to use it at least once. I even updated my firmware once, just to see what it would be like.
Well, the fact that I've never used it proves to me that it doesn't have to be used.

I've updated the firmware via USB once and connected to the system several times via USB for one reason or another.

I've installed the App on my iPhone and connected to the WU exactly once and then only looked at the screens in the app. IIRC, the only reason I connected to the WU was because someone was discussing it here on Bikeforums and I was interested in what they were talking about.

A wireless unit is not required for the system to operate. I wish I had saved the $80.

-Tim-
Old 09-30-18, 04:38 PM
NoWhammies

The funny thing is, I didn't realize at the time it was an add-on. So when I picked up my bike I asked them how I go about connecting to the Bluetooth. That's when I found out that because I didn't ask for the option when I had the Di2 installed, and it would be a pain in the ass to add it now (since the battery is in the seat post) I just let sleeping dogs lie. But I can't help but think/wonder if it would have been worth it.

BTW, how often do firmware updates come out? I haven't connecting my Di2 to anything since purchasing my bike earlier this summer.
Old 09-30-18, 05:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Well, the fact that I've never used it proves to me that it doesn't have to be used.
I used "have to" as in "you really ought to" give it a try.

(I don't have it, so I know it isn't a requirement. I also don't feel any need to have it, but if there is a button, I will press it just to see how it works.)
Old 09-30-18, 05:24 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

The funny thing is, I didn't realize at the time it was an add-on. So when I picked up my bike I asked them how I go about connecting to the Bluetooth. That's when I found out that because I didn't ask for the option when I had the Di2 installed, and it would be a pain in the ass to add it now (since the battery is in the seat post) I just let sleeping dogs lie. But I can't help but think/wonder if it would have been worth it.

BTW, how often do firmware updates come out? I haven't connecting my Di2 to anything since purchasing my bike earlier this summer.
No it really wouldn.t AAMOF, splicing it in before the battery is probably the cleanest and easiest route. All you need is the module, a short Di2 cable; remove seatpost, unplug battery, plug in wireless module, plug in seacond cable from the wireless to the battery and then re-insert seatpost. Takes longer to type than to do.
Old 09-30-18, 06:11 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I like having it. My watch tells me how much battery is left, and can update the firmware. It also tells me how many times I shifted. I shift a hell of a lot more often now than when I first got Di2, which makes me feel like the whole electronic shifting thing wew a good move for me.

Is any of that necessary? Of course not. Is it worth it? Depends how much they money means to you.
My experience too. I really like it. Everyone I know who has it sweated the price and but now won't go back.

Last season I converted my mech cross/adventure bike over to electronic using the eTap (no wires, no wire ports on the frame). I'm almost beginning to think I like that better. Either way, I'm probably done with mech to the extent I can be.

I like the BT connection too.

J.
Old 10-01-18, 06:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I used "have to" as in "you really ought to" give it a try.

(I don't have it, so I know it isn't a requirement. I also don't feel any need to have it, but if there is a button, I will press it just to see how it works.)
Oh. Ha ha. I should have known better.
Old 10-01-18, 07:58 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
Ditto on using wifi to update firmware: I tried to use a wifi connection to update firmware and it bricked my system and had to use the hardwire connection to get things working again. However, I find the wireless (bluetooth) unit very useful. I pay considerable attention to gearing while riding and having that information displayed my computer is especially useful for me. I recently rented a bike while on a bike vacation and I found that looking down and guessing about the rear cog positioning was much less satisfying and more distracting than just glancing at my computer. Next to heart rate, it is the information I use the most while riding.
I literally only know what gear i'm in when I try to shift up or down and nothing happens.

It's crazy how different we all are.
Old 10-01-18, 09:32 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I have the Bluetooth module and I use it a lot on every ride -- primarily to switch pages on my Garmin using the hood buttons. On my road bike, it's hidden inside the head tube but, on my gravel bike, it's plugged direct to the junction box and shrink wrapped to the rear brake line before the brake line and the Di2 wire enter the frame.

I prefer using the hard-wired PC-based software to update firmware and to modify shift parameters, etc. Depending on the vintage of your system, the Bluetooth software updates can (as has been said before) lock the system and make it appear that the battery instantly lost all power. (It didn't.) Then, you need the hard-wired system to get everything running again. It's easier just to go with the PC system from the beginning.
Old 10-01-18, 09:33 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by 69chevy
I literally only know what gear i'm in when I try to shift up or down and nothing happens.

It's crazy how different we all are.
Do you not have Di2? Di2 makes a beep when you get to the end so that you don't have to shift to know which way is up.
Old 10-01-18, 09:37 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Do you not have Di2? Di2 makes a beep when you get to the end so that you don't have to shift to know which way is up.
This is only the case with Garmin head units paired to Di2. The Garmin is what makes the beep
Old 10-01-18, 09:39 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
This is only the case with Garmin head units paired to Di2. The Garmin is what makes the beep
Which, I would guess, means you've also got to have the Bluetooth module in order to let the Garmin know when to beep. Otherwise, it would be clueless.
Old 10-01-18, 10:00 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I like to know what gear I am in when I run a 11-32 cassette. It keeps me from going big/big inadvertently. I have 9000 and while it works it not a situation you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.