Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Reynolds tubing dimensional accuracy?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Reynolds tubing dimensional accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 10:29 AM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
In my understanding Nova is a marketing company. In that they have neither the smelting plants or the drawing mills. Reynolds (and Columbus, Tange, True Temper{now gone** and I think Kaisei) are companies that both process/draw the smelter provided bar into tubing and then market, usually through a intermediary, the tubes.

Another way to look at this question is that every bike brand that has "their own" tube set is also only a marketing company. (Excepting the very few who do make their own carbon matts, tow and tube) Andy
Sachs and Serotta, to name a couple, had their own branded tubes but I wouldn't label either of them 'only a marketing company'.
Old 12-06-18, 10:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I was hesitant to use the work "Marketing" since there's so much baggage associated (and lot's is negative) with the word. Many here know that I've used that same word in rather disparagingly terms too but is it the word/term that Eric used, so I did too. In this context I feel that "marketing" means the distribution of the tubes primarily and the "advertising" less so.

In this context I view Sachs and Serotta both to be marketing brands. Both have at best designed specific to their specs tube sets (and with Sachs associated components for building) then contracted with a tube drawing company to produce said tubes.

Again, in this context I see nothing wrong in this label and this process to get to the market a product. We see this every day in other industries. My local grocery store has their own line of a number of different products (from canned veggies to plastic garbage bags to ready to eat foods). In this effort they do also market (as in advertise, the, sometimes, less then stellar function that this word covers) their products. But that department (and here's some of my point WRT how marketing/advertising is used) also markets/advertises a lot of other products branded by other companies that they also sell. (Much like Nova promotes their house label products and those of Columbus).

So I should have added a qualifier to 'only a marketing company' (that I wrote). The qualifier would read something like "when it comes to their self branded tubes". In no way was I trying to say that they only sell tubes, that these tubes are in anyway inferior to others' tubes or that being in the business of bring to the market an in house designed product but one that is contracted out to produce is a wrong thing. Andy
Old 12-06-18, 09:30 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I was hesitant to use the work "Marketing" since there's so much baggage associated (and lot's is negative) with the word. Many here know that I've used that same word in rather disparagingly terms too but is it the word/term that Eric used, so I did too. In this context I feel that "marketing" means the distribution of the tubes primarily and the "advertising" less so.

In this context I view Sachs and Serotta both to be marketing brands. Both have at best designed specific to their specs tube sets (and with Sachs associated components for building) then contracted with a tube drawing company to produce said tubes.

Again, in this context I see nothing wrong in this label and this process to get to the market a product. We see this every day in other industries. My local grocery store has their own line of a number of different products (from canned veggies to plastic garbage bags to ready to eat foods). In this effort they do also market (as in advertise, the, sometimes, less then stellar function that this word covers) their products. But that department (and here's some of my point WRT how marketing/advertising is used) also markets/advertises a lot of other products branded by other companies that they also sell. (Much like Nova promotes their house label products and those of Columbus).

So I should have added a qualifier to 'only a marketing company' (that I wrote). The qualifier would read something like "when it comes to their self branded tubes". In no way was I trying to say that they only sell tubes, that these tubes are in anyway inferior to others' tubes or that being in the business of bring to the market an in house designed product but one that is contracted out to produce is a wrong thing. Andy

Right, I was going to add that they are certainly good at marketing but, 'only marketing' seemed too narrow. And I don't have a problem with marketing. It's just like accounting or Operations - a necessary component to a successful business/plan. I do have a problem with inauthentic marketing.
Old 12-10-18, 11:50 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I received an e-mail back from Reynolds today.

They have measured some of their stock tubes and are getting the same readings that I have done. Their tolerances are +- .05 mm and they accept the tubes are not to spec.

Reynolds have offered to send out replacements immediately but I have decided to order Columbus tubes from Ceeway instead.

Thanks once again for all the advice :-)
Old 12-10-18, 12:05 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Interesting. At least they admit the issue! That's refreshing.
Old 12-10-18, 04:18 PM
mikeread

Do they have form?
Old 12-10-18, 06:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
This thread definitely makes me want to check some tubing. I never really thought about doing that. Maybe substituting Columbus on my gravel bike isn't such a bad idea after all
Old 12-19-18, 10:16 AM
mikeread

Received delivery of Columbus tubes today and they are pretty much spot on. The actual weights are within a few grams of what my spread sheet calculates so the internal butting must be pretty accurate.

I haven't measured the butts as my butt tester has been dismantled, will check before cutting though.