Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some people refer to some bicycles as BSO?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some people refer to some bicycles as BSO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 09:20 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The difference being....A Honda Civic is a perfectly serviceable vehicle that will last a very long service life if maintained, and presuming it fits the users needs.

A $100 (PRIME!) GMC Denali "road bike" off Amazon...will last 6-months to a year before the all bearings are junk, the wheels are blowing spokes because of never being stress relieved, etc...just from casual funsies bike path riding once a week or two a mile. Much the same WalMart cheapo bikes will fail in the same way--presuming it was even assembled properly to start with.

I have a coworker on his 6th El Cheapo BSO off Amazon in 6 years. Because it is cheaper to buy them and throw them away than fix them. All he does is ride a mile or so to work and back.
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A BSO is not analogous to a Kia. It is analogous to a Ford Pinto. AKA-something fundamentally flawed from the factory.
How was the Pinto flawed? And don't say because the gas tank that was placed where it was placed on every single american car built from the 50's until like the 00's.
Old 01-18-19, 09:41 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Mongoose used to be an actual brand name. Now it's only a name owned by a conglomerate. Like Schwinn, GT, and Diamondback, to name a few.
And like those other bikes; their walmart line is nothing like their pro/boutique lines... that you don't find in Target or Cabellas.
Old 01-18-19, 10:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
The problem with HelMart bikes is that they have gotten worse as time goes along. A Huffy from 1990 was a much, much, much better bike than a Huffy today. The problem is that the Huffy from 1990 sold for about $100 as does the Huffy today. To put it another way, the 1990 Huffy is worth about twice as much as the one today. To accomplish this, HelMart (or the company that makes Huffys for them) has to make the bike for half as much as they did in 1990. They cut corners to do so. On a regular basis, I see Huffys at my local co-op that have twisted bottom bracket spindles, bearings that are ground down to hemispheres, derailers that are too loose to shift properly, cranks made of steel that are eroded at the taper and/or the pedals threads, etc. The bottom bracket spindle isn’t just sheared but twisted around the axis of rotation

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
How was the Pinto flawed? And don't say because the gas tank that was placed where it was placed on every single american car built from the 50's until like the 00's.
It wasn’t placed in the same place. The engineers who designed the car found the problem prior to production and identified solutions like moving the gas tank to the same position as the Capri which was above the axle and out of the way of the bolts that would punchture the tank as well as keeping the filler neck from ripping off the tank. The solution was known but ignored because Ford thought it would cost too much to fix. It was quite possibly the greatest example of corporate malfeasance in US history.

There have been a number of US made cars that were seriously flawed. But none were as callously calculated as the Ford Pinto’s problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-19-19, 12:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

It wasn’t placed in the same place. The engineers who designed the car found the problem prior to production and identified solutions like moving the gas tank to the same position as the Capri which was above the axle and out of the way of the bolts that would punchture the tank as well as keeping the filler neck from ripping off the tank. The solution was known but ignored because Ford thought it would cost too much to fix. It was quite possibly the greatest example of corporate malfeasance in US history.

There have been a number of US made cars that were seriously flawed. But none were as callously calculated as the Ford Pinto’s problem.
Just to add, the fix to the Pinto would have cost $11 per car, and Ford decided it was better financially to absorb the projected damage payouts to fire victims rather than raise the price of the car to slightly above $2000. It was this vile calculation that led the juries to crush Ford with punitive damages.
Old 01-19-19, 02:44 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I drove a 74 Pinto for 4 years and really liked it. Thankfully it never blew up or caught on fire, or got rear-ended with enough force to cause the aforementioned maladies. I did rear-end someone with it, though. Stood up to it like a champ! Good car and I'd get another one if needed.

The shameful decision of the execs in charge of the project to let the design flaw pass through says a lot about the condition of the human soul. It is no different than a thousand other design flaws most car companies allow to go through. It does remind me of a problem Specialized had with wheels on their comfort bikes back in the early and mid 200's. The rear wheels blew spokes within a few hundred miles. Our shop was fixing and replacing wheels every other week. Of course SBC denied any issues, however when talking to dealers they all laughed at SBC's denial, because they all had the same problem with those bikes. Instead of recognizing the problem, they denied it because it affects the company and ultimately their job, and self-interest is more important than doing what is right. It is a condition of the human soul.

It is said that "we are all born into sin." There is truth in that statement.
Old 01-19-19, 07:44 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I grew up near Detroit, and I think it was during the Chevy Citation brake fiasco, that the car maker announced they would assemble a team of experts to solve the problem. Almost immediately, the newspaper investigated on a rumor and discovered that the team of experts consisted entirely of a team of accountants and lawyers. This became the reputation of the car makers.

It hasn't changed in any moral sense. What's changed is that government safety standards, foreign competition, and consumer demand have imposed better discipline on the car makers, and the overall quality of cars is indeed better today.
Old 01-19-19, 07:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I don't expect a Kia luxury sedan vehicle to deliver the same expectation as a Lexus or Ford version luxury sedan vehicle. I still view all three to be a vehicle, & not one of them I would refer to as a vehicle shaped object.
None of those are analagous to a BSO. There is currently nothing in the auto world (at least in the US) analogous to the BSO. Hasn’t been for a few decades
Old 01-19-19, 08:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The term BSO is often used by snobs.
Old 01-19-19, 08:30 AM
balut bandit
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The term BSO is often used by snobs.
The term snob is often used by adult tricycle lovers with inferiority complexes.

For instance:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryda...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 01-19-19, 11:02 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
My Roadtech did not break spokes or bend a wheel, nothing on it broke until I wrecked it. And I rode it hard. I only serviced it to replace parts that had not even wore out. Not all the bikes are that bad, but they could be better, or at least be built like it's 2006.
The GMC Denali is not that bad either, reasonably durable for an inexpensive bike. But that never changes these narratives so I was letting it pass.
Old 01-19-19, 01:44 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Just out of curiosity (and maybe to witness more fireworks), would anyone here consider this a BSO?

https://www.worksmancycles.com/inb.html
Old 01-19-19, 01:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Weight seems to be a difference between a SmB & LBS of the same category.

If a cheap convenient bicycle is the goal, then a SmB equipped with decent sub assembly components should be fine enough to meet that goal; A Kia with a LS1, quadratec suspension, & Windsor leather interior.
Old 01-19-19, 09:01 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Just out of curiosity (and maybe to witness more fireworks), would anyone here consider this a BSO?

Yes. A highly pretentious one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-19-19, 09:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’m sure someone would. But they would be wrong.
Old 01-19-19, 09:38 PM
Troul 

Arbys melt using grey poupon as au jus. It may seem high-class, but it's still cheap and going right to the rump bumps.
Old 01-19-19, 11:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike as a tool

You build ships or aircraft,... have a big warehouse,?you can have more of those, or a fewer number of golf carts....
Old 01-19-19, 11:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Still YGWYPF ...

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I suspect if you hand a new $500 unassembled Trek to a Walmart assembler...the Trek is going to ride like crap too.

the factory workers at the big OEM main, bike shop supplying companies In Taiwan ,do a much better job preparing them for shipping...

Lowest cost as the bottom line has a ripple effect ...

outside assemblers, that travel between big box stores, often are on piecework,. so bring power tools..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 08:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Arbys melt using grey poupon as au jus. It may seem high-class, but it's still cheap and going right to the rump bumps.
Bicycling Times did a piece on Worksman Cycles about 5 years ago (one of their first issues) Unless something has drastically changed since then, those bikes are 100% legit, albeit heavy tanks.
Old 01-20-19, 08:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit

The term snob is often used by adult tricycle lovers with inferiority complexes.

For instance:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryda...obile&ie=UTF-8
It is also used by poor people and people down on their luck when the well heeled fully kitted sneer at the only bike they can afford.
Old 01-20-19, 09:34 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Kapusta

Bicycling Times did a piece on Worksman Cycles about 5 years ago (one of their first issues) Unless something has drastically changed since then, those bikes are 100% legit, albeit heavy tanks.
Not discounting if it's legit. It might be an acquired taste yet it's still going to be heavy, as a matured oink oink.
Old 01-20-19, 12:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Not discounting if it's legit. It might be an acquired taste yet it's still going to be heavy, as a matured oink oink.
Do you understand what these bikes are built for? Of course they are heavy.

You may as well criticize a fork lift for being slow and heavy.
Old 01-20-19, 01:26 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Do you understand what these bikes are built for? Of course they are heavy.

You may as well criticize a fork lift for being slow and heavy.
Nice that someone here gets it, and I can't imagine how cyccommute and Troul perceive pretension when the product is aimed at industrial use. And I think that one of the selling points not mentioned on their site is that no special tools or fixtures are required to service them, and no exotic training for the maintenance workers. This also makes them ideal for use in third-world conditions. Read all the specs and options.

Really, though, this is a slightly overbuilt--okay, very overbuilt (*cough*3/16" chain*cough*) version of the balloon cruisers that everybody knew so well in the '40s and '50s in America. And unless I'm mistaken, the pioneers of mountain-biking began with just those bikes, stripped of their fenders and other flotsam.
Old 01-20-19, 02:26 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It is also used by poor people and people down on their luck when the well heeled fully kitted sneer at the only bike they can afford.
^^^^^Absolutely True ^^^^^^^
Old 01-20-19, 02:29 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Worksman's are definitely designed with durability first. Since they also build all manner of trikes, basket bikes and other specialty cycles, I'd put them in to the category of 'Specialty Builder

The 'Heavy-Duty, Built in America' is their marketing angle for 'civilian' bike sales. Their popularity is probably due to that rather than any actual design advantage. We are, after all, a country that sees a 3/4-ton, crew cab 4x4 truck as a 'daily driver'

You can spec one out with lighter wheels, nicer headsets/BBs, and more aluminum parts, but the base model is a basic as it gets.
'No special tools' means every thing is hex heads, so one of your plant mechanics can probably attend whatever it needs, rather than stocking 'specialized' bike tools, or dragging it to a shop for repair.

Nice that someone here gets it, and I can't imagine how cyccommute and Troul perceive pretension when the product is aimed at industrial use. And I think that one of the selling points not mentioned on their site is that no special tools or fixtures are required to service them, and no exoic training for the maintenance workers. This also makes them ideal for use in third-world conditions. Read all the specs and options.

Really, though, this is a slightly overbuilt--okay, very overbuilt (*cough*3/16" chain*cough*) version of the balloon cruisers that everybody knew so well in the '40s and '50s in America. And unless I'm mistaken, the pioneers of mountain-biking began with just those bikes, stripped of their fenders and other flotsam.
Old 01-20-19, 04:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Honestly the Boeing Aircraft factory floor Everett WA, the largest indoor space 4,280,000 sq ft , is quite flat..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-19 at 04:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.