Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Great Ride Video

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Great Ride Video

Old 03-17-19, 06:36 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
The Great Ride Video

See it before it is gone

https://www.wqed.org/ride

Really nice video. Makes me realize how fortunate I am to have this great trail right in my back yard.

But I can't believe they glossed over the steam engine in Frostburg. That train is one of the true marvels along the trail. And I would have liked to Lynn and her place at the Youghshore Inn (but that is probably worth a whole video on its own ; ).
Old 03-20-19, 03:59 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I want to put that ride on my bucket list.
Old 03-20-19, 04:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
See it before it is gone
in all seriousness, as a Canadian who really doesnt know much about this trail, where is it going?
Is it going to be not used as a bike trail soon?
Old 03-20-19, 05:41 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by djb
in all seriousness, as a Canadian who really doesnt know much about this trail, where is it going?
Is it going to be not used as a bike trail soon?
The video is going away at the end of the month.
Old 03-20-19, 06:18 PM
djb

righto
I thought it was a budget cut thing/somethingorother that your govt is wont to do.
Old 03-20-19, 06:43 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by djb
righto
I thought it was a budget cut thing/somethingorother that your govt is wont to do.
Why do you need to through politics into a really nice video?

And for your information the Great Allegheny Passage part of the trail is almost all funded my donations and maintained by the hard work of lots of volunteers.
Old 03-20-19, 07:25 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Well I'm hooked! That's a beautiful ride. Now I just need to convince my wife to do it with me. Are there campgrounds scattered along the trail? I noticed they mentioned one or two towards the beginning of the video.
Old 03-20-19, 07:28 PM
djb

Why do you need to through politics into a really nice video?

And for your information the Great Allegheny Passage part of the trail is almost all funded my donations and maintained by the hard work of lots of volunteers.
I figure you are joking, but as a Canadian who from afar, really didnt understand the whole govt shutdown thing, I didnt know that about the trail.
Old 03-20-19, 08:39 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Excellent. Does the C&O and GAP justice. Nice to see historical photos and film interspersed in the story.
Old 03-21-19, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I figure you are joking, but as a Canadian who from afar, really didnt understand the whole govt shutdown thing, I didnt know that about the trail.
The GAP and C&O are two separate animals which connect in Cumberland, MD. The latter is, in fact, a government-run facility:

https://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm
Old 03-21-19, 02:32 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do you need to through politics into a really nice video?.
As a US western states MTB person, we lose access to trails we have rode and maintained for decades every year, it seems. Seeing it on KQED, it might be reasonable.

To OP:

Thank you for posting the video.
Old 03-21-19, 04:53 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Well I'm hooked! That's a beautiful ride. Now I just need to convince my wife to do it with me. Are there campgrounds scattered along the trail? I noticed they mentioned one or two towards the beginning of the video.
Both free and paid. Many people do it but I would not recommend camping on the C&O. Too wet and too many bugs.

Don't camp at the State Park in Ohiopyle. It is a steep rocky climb up to the campsite. And once you get the the campsite there is more up to get to the office to pay. Other than that the camping is pretty good if you don't mind trains.

P,M. me if you decide to do and and would like some help at the Pittsburgh end.
Old 03-21-19, 05:32 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by alan s
Excellent. Does the C&O and GAP justice. Nice to see historical photos and film interspersed in the story.
I think it makes those that have done it realize how pretty it really is. The drone shots really add to the beauty. We get a look at something we don't get to see from trail level.
Old 03-21-19, 07:27 PM
24/7biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are several free campsites along the trail, also a number of other camping areas close to the trail that are all very reasonably priced. Probably my favorite place to camp near the trail is the Yough Outflow campground, $8 for hikers/bikers.
Old 03-21-19, 08:36 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by 24/7biker
there are several free campsites along the trail, also a number of other camping areas close to the trail that are all very reasonably priced.
Gee I wish I had mentioned that.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20849141-post12.html

Originally Posted by 24/7biker
t
Probably my favorite place to camp near the trail is the Yough Outflow campground, $8 for hikers/bikers.
I like the KOA outside of Connellsville, Super clean (or was when I was there) facilities and very pretty spot right along the river.
Old 03-22-19, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Someone mentioned trains. My natural reaction is to post the short video I took while camping at Husky Haven in Rockwood along the GAP. Turn up the volume to get the realistic experience. It's actually a very nice spot. Lots of trees and free firewood. There is a bath house with shower and bike cleaning station across the river in the center of town. IIRC, $10/night.

Old 03-22-19, 10:52 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Someone mentioned trains. My natural reaction is to post the short video I took while camping at Husky Haven in Rockwood along the GAP. Turn up the volume to get the realistic experience. It's actually a very nice spot. Lots of trees and free firewood. There is a bath house with shower and bike cleaning station across the river in the center of town. IIRC, $10/night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBa1j8F0dk
I grew up a couple of blocks from a line on the Long Island Railroad, so I'm OK with that. But then again, I've lived in Florida for 26 years...
Old 03-22-19, 10:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Loved the video. I grew up further north but in similar terrain so watching the video was like a visit to my hometown. Yes, eastern mountains are subdued but beautiful.
Old 03-22-19, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

I grew up a couple of blocks from a line on the Long Island Railroad, so I'm OK with that. But then again, I've lived in Florida for 26 years...
That tain you hear is actually Amtrak's Capitol Limited from D.C. to Chicago. It was really loud. The hilly terrain on either side amplifies the sound.

There are at least two grade crossings in town. By federal law, trains have to sound their horns unless what is called a "quiet zone" has been established. Establishing a quiet zone entails a lot of regulatory compliance and often significant expense, which is why you mostly find them in well off municipalities. Train traffic died down at night, (It was a Sunday), although it sounded like there was an industry in town that was doing its own plant switching. Had a long day the next day so I was out of my tent at 5:00. By 5:45 three freights had gone through.

One neat thing was that it was the weekend after Labor Day. I saw almost no through riders the three days I was on the GAP. I had Husky Haven all to myself. And that evening at dusk I heard an owl in the trees. Maybe 15 minutes later I was sitting at my picnic table when a small owl pounced on a chipmunk scurrying around the base of a tree stump that was maybe 12' from me. Nature in action.
Old 03-22-19, 11:25 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by berner
Loved the video. I grew up further north but in similar terrain so watching the video was like a visit to my hometown. Yes, eastern mountains are subdued but beautiful.
As possibly the oldest mountains in the world, they are rather eroded and subdued. They were once like the Rockies and Alps.
Old 03-28-19, 11:48 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBa1j8F0dk
i loved my ride of the GAP and every time you post this video it reminds me of first night on my first (only so far) bike tour. i was sleeping in a hammock and the train shook the trees and shook me in the hammock i have yet to do the C&O but good to hear that it might be better to plan places to stay in doors on that one.
Old 03-28-19, 01:38 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
i loved my ride of the GAP and every time you post this video it reminds me of first night on my first (only so far) bike tour. i was sleeping in a hammock and the train shook the trees and shook me in the hammock i have yet to do the C&O but good to hear that it might be better to plan places to stay in doors on that one.
There are plenty of places to camp on the C&O that are quiet. You’ll need to do your research though, because at some sites, the train is almost over your head, and at other sites, the train is just on the other side of the river, and is quite close and loud.
Old 03-28-19, 03:35 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by alan s

There are plenty of places to camp on the C&O that are quiet. You’ll need to do your research though, because at some sites, the train is almost over your head, and at other sites, the train is just on the other side of the river, and is quite close and loud.
But LOTS of bugs
Old 03-28-19, 09:03 PM
alan s 

But LOTS of bugs
And mud, rocks, roots, fallen trees and washouts.
Old 03-29-19, 03:43 AM
djb

I dunno, but the whole mosquitoes and Hogwarts Express sleep depriving stuff just ain't doing the sales job for me folks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.