Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why the LBS are dying out ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why the LBS are dying out ...

Old 04-01-19, 02:15 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Dammit! I gotta start setting my calendar alerts. I completely missed that it's "bag on your LBS" time again. Sorry guys, I'll try to get it together. Trouble is, I've really got nothin' to gripe about with my LBS. Maybe I can just make up some petty grievance... nah.

Question: Should I bring up tipping, or wait until we get up around 50 thread posts first?

-Kedosto
*over it*
Old 04-01-19, 02:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Well to be fair, Shimano cassettes really are the rarest of all bike components...I've never seen one in person, but I hear-tell that some are actually plated with a special gold-rubidium plating suitable for only the most extreme cycling conditions.

Hydraulic hoses too! OMG! A flexible passage that transmits force, undiminished at right angles throughout it's entire length? Tell me what they'll come up with next! This is truly some remarkable feat of modern engineering; The likes of which could revolutionize cycling for the next 30 years...A true once in a lifetime innovation.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-01-19, 02:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
The lbs suffer from multitude of issues. What I've recently found is that the ones nearby will only do as the instructions support from the OEM & will not research comparable parts that (will) fit with some thinking outta the box logic.
Old 04-01-19, 02:44 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I apparently am either really picky or want weird things. My new fave LBSs are barely stores. They are small storefronts with a few accessories or bags stocked with expert mechanics and enthusiasts who have a conversation with you, advise you on what to pick. Then the output of the conversation is the right part and of course hopefully services as needed. Distributers are getting a lot faster and it only takes a few days to get said part. Sure it may take a day longer, and be a little more expensive (not hugely so), but I find it invaluable to talk to a knowledgeable person who cares than a person who wants to move stuff off the showroom floor. It is also easier for them to have limited inventory - so they don't have to worry about something not selling.

My other favorite shop is a cafe/bike shop. They have a few things in stock - like bike pit socks, patches, a few bags, seat covers and water bottles. They mostly do custom builds and service work and order parts on demand.
Old 04-01-19, 02:50 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Every time I see a post about a crappy LBS I thank my stars that mine is awesome. There are actually two of them but I am super loyal to one. I am pretty sure the other is also a quality shop. I try to buy locally though I do buy online too. My shop has been less expensive on some things than online shops. Maybe they just like me? ; /
Old 04-01-19, 02:55 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
If I walk into a shop, I'm planning to buy. Today.

If they tell me they can order it, my thought is "so can I"

Tubes, energy gels, and other little things. Aside from that, I just don't patronize them.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-01-19, 04:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Why should the OP buy the kit for them?
The point or excuse of the LBS is that they have tools and skills. And they don't have a bleedkit for some of the most common brakes?
What's next, we are supposed to provide a bike stand and hex keys?

I understand them not having all cassettes in stock, too many gear ratios and levels available from multiple manufacturers. But that should be a 2 business day order.

I once had a TPMS sensor issue on my car and the tire shop had that shipped in from a distributor within the 2 hours I waited there.... and that was on a Sunday. And no, they didn't ask me to provide tools.....
While same hour delivery and service can't be expected, 2 business days should be more than easy.. and a shop should have simple tools.... bleeding kits aren't that new, disc brakes have been out for decades. It isn't like the OP needed them to have diagnosis tools for SRAM AXS wireless shifting or so.
Old 04-01-19, 04:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
The shop didn't have a bleed kit ... and since, with four shops int he chain as the OP noted, there would be inter-shop swapping ... apparently they had never needed a bleed kit.

But again, it is all expectations. Some people have a mental image of a bike shop, what is should be and do ... and when their fantasies don't fit with reality they get P O'd. Instead of thinking, "I am at the wrong shop," the person thinks, "This shop sucks." No ... it is just that that shop isn;t the one you need to be at.

And if it is the only one in your area ... Wahhhh! "I Deserve to have exactly what I need, Immediately, all the time!" Yeah, and the shops "deserve" to have customers who are going to see what the shop Actually sells ... do you go to restaurants and get mad because you went to a steak house and imagined the'y be a seafood restaurant?

Worse still the guy already didn't like the chain of shops, but went there ... he stepped in a mess on purpose and is blaming someone else.

The shop owes a customer nothing but the truth and good work. if a job will take a week, that's how long it takes ... for whatever reason. If the job is done right, that is what matters.

if I went to a shop with a really good mechanic and he was backed up because everyone knew he was a really good mechanic ... I should whine? if I went there and the mechanic was out sick, I should whine? The Only conditions under which I have a right to complain is if A.) the shop lies about how long the job will take, or B.) they do it wrong. The OP effectively entered into a contract with the shop. if he didn't like the terms, he had options. he made the choice and is now whining.

This whole thread is basically one guy crying "I had to wait to get what I wanted." He got what he wanted, he just had to wait. I am sure there are plenty of organ transplant candidates who would love to be in his shoes.
Old 04-01-19, 04:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by freegeek
unfortunately in my area its not a sampling size of one. I'm not the most mechanically inclined and I'm quite lazy so I rather have someone else do the maintenance. I started wrenching myself because of necessity. Lead times for maintenance suck with all of them in my area. Lots of time they don't have what I would consider basic items (no we don't have that 11/32 cassette that you want, we have to order it ....). 3 weeks ago I needed a 650mm di2 cable. You can not believe how many shops I had to call to find one that had a spare cable they could sell to me. The only reason I didn't buy it online was because the postage is ridiculous on a single cable.
I am sympathetic, as I have had bad experiences with a few bike shops. But right now, my nearest shop (15 miles away) is an old-school, small-town shop. These guys may have seen a Di2 bike, but they sure haven't ever worked on one. But for simple things like cable replacement, wheel truing, and etc, they are quick, competent, and cheap. If I ever don't feel like doing those things myself, I drop off my bike -- and sometimes they just ask if I can hang around because they will do the work while I wait. Hell, their rates are so cheap that I sometimes will buy bar tape from them, just because I want to give them more money. A shop like that is gold, baby.

Another shop, further away, is great for more involved stuff. I recently had a bike fitting done as part of the sizing process for a new custom frame that they are procuring and building for me. As part of the fitting on my old bike, the fitter decided that I needed a different stem. The shop owner just found the right one, and handed it over. No charge. I buy these guys lattes when I visit.
Old 04-01-19, 05:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I think bike shops are dying out because @Koyote followed them home and threatened to sue them..

I am actually going to go to the local shop (probably this week) to get some expert attention to a mis-dished rear wheel. I asked about the cost and it was extremely reasonable compared to buying a new wheel ... and since I know the guys some and trust them ... I won't complain about the cost or the wait. if the wheel comes back true, round, and properly dished, everything is golden.

It will be the first money I've spent in a bike shop since .... I think 2002?

I am too lazy to wrestle with the wheel any more ... i would rather spend my time riding and let them fix it.
Old 04-01-19, 05:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
A few weeks ago, two guys at my LBS were insisting there was absolutely no way that I could put a shimano style 11 sp mountain cassette (Sunrace 11-46) on my hub because it is a 9 speed (you can absolutely do this). Nothing I said could convince them otherwise. I even showed them the two cassettes (9 and 11 sp) and offered to let them measure then so they could see they were the identical width on the hub, but they insisted you can’t rely on that.

i am still processing this.

Old 04-01-19, 06:06 PM
Jason845

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
In my area (Kingston, ny) we have 4 bike shops within 5 miles of my house. All 4 of them are excellent. I dont spend tons of money, but I rotate which shop I go to as they all have their specialties and i like to spread my business around, as small as it may be.
Old 04-01-19, 06:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
With so many bikes having hydraulic brakes nowdays, I think that any good reputable bike shop should have a universal brake bleeding kit which fits different brands of brakes.
Old 04-01-19, 06:26 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I've had the same problem recently at several places.

Wanted new glasses, they had the frame but I wanted a different color - sloe as heck 3-5 day shipping. No option to simply pay for faster shipping. By the time they came in I had found the same frames elsewhere.

Wanted to buy an office chair. They stock demo models, but you actually want one? 2 weeks slow wait. Again, no option to simply pay more for faster shipping. I can order the same chair from amazon and I get it in 3 days, and can return it. So that's what I did, I couldn't wait weeks when I needed a chair.

I accidentally broke a speaker on my laptop. 1st repair shop said 3-5 days and they wanted to hold onto my computer during that time. Second shop said 3-5 days but at least they didn't have an issue with me bringing my computer in when they got the part. No option to pay more for faster shipping. This one I had them do it.

I feel bad when I shop locally then buy on amazon, but it's just absurd that they think people are going to casually wait a week or two for something they need now.
Old 04-01-19, 06:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I see many posts in this thread that have no clue about the operations of a small local based, low margin business. If you need a warehousing operation to satisfy your needs, an LBS is not the place to go. Stop *****ing about it and move on.

I have worked In shops since 1983 and understand the business. It is a tough business to thrive in and requires an owner that understands they cannot stock everything to please everyone. One that understands ordering a 50 dollar item that costs 5 bucks to ship and 5 bucks to process once it is in the store, and to install it without a labor charge is a start on the path to death of the business because the margin is gone. Margin is everything for a small business.

Every shop I have worked in from California to Michigan has done well because they developed good practices, and good customers, ones that enjoyed the relationship between them and the employees. Customers that were willing to wait for parts that are not stocked to come in along with the rest of the weekly order because to pay shipping and processing for single items on a daily basis is not possible. Customers that don't have to have it now. Customers that value the relationship they have with the shop, because it is more important than having it now or saving a few bucks.

Those shops did not compete for customers that had no interest in them as they make nasty neighbors in the long run.

If you need a warehousing operation to satisfy your needs, then buy online from a warehousing operation and stop *****ing about it.
Old 04-01-19, 06:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not quite sure how auto parts stores do it, but their entire model is to have stock for just about anything one drives. And, quick turn over for anything they don't have on the shelf (ok, so they're feeling the push of the internet too). Most of them also have a heavy internet presence too.

But, really, bikes should be a lot simpler than cars. But, the shops just need to keep a decent inventory.
Sometimes this amazes me as I run a lot of old vehicles. I recently replaced a rear brake hose, master cylinder (I have everything to bleed them myself, point of the OP) , and headlight retaining ring on my 1976 pickup. In stock within 5 miles from home. I did have to look on line and find out which location/retailer had it in stock rather than call a bunch of them. All the auto parts regular retailers allow you to check stock within an X mile distance. If it's too far I can get it sent up next day free to the one down the street. Most of the common parts like hoses and tune up stuff for my 1946 Ford 2N tractor I can go across town to the New Holland dealer - in stock. They've shocked me a couple times when more obscure stuff like a radius rod to axle pin was in stock too.
Old 04-01-19, 07:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Wow. The way some of these people are complaining about their local bike shops, it seems like they’ve never had experience with the US healthcare system. It makes your s****y LBS look like a paragon of efficiency.
Old 04-01-19, 09:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Wow. The way some of these people are complaining about their local bike shops, it seems like they’ve never had experience with the US healthcare system. It makes your s****y LBS look like a paragon of efficiency.
US healthcare has always been able to bleed me (and my wallet) while I waited (and waited).
Old 04-01-19, 09:11 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
... I buy these guys lattes when I visit.
Oh great, now you’ve done it. You realize it’s only a matter of time now before all the guys who expect the same level of personalized service without ever giving so much as a smile are gonna chime in about how you’re “cheating?” Don’t you know that doing nice things for people who treat you right is wrong? Que the tipping whiners in 3, 2, ...

IKR? And it’s not even like their lives are on the line.

-Kedosto
Old 04-01-19, 09:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I see many posts in this thread that have no clue about the operations of a small local based, low margin business. If you need a warehousing operation to satisfy your needs, an LBS is not the place to go. Stop *****ing about it and move on.

I have worked In shops since 1983 and understand the business. It is a tough business to thrive in and requires an owner that understands they cannot stock everything to please everyone.
I realize it is a tough business. And, there are many expenses including sitting on a large inventory that isn't moving quickly.

At the same time, every time a customer walks in, then walks back out without making a purchase costs the company money for that lost sale, plus likely multiple future sales.

Sitting on a few cassettes can be expensive, but they are also pretty vital parts to stock. What does a shop tell a customer that comes in and says they need a new chain. And, one glance shows that their 11/32 cassette is long overdue replacing. Tell the customer that you can install the chain today, but the rest of the parts will come in a week?

I was working on some kid's bikes in St. Louis a few years ago, and I think I needed some new caged bearings. Nope, the bike store didn't stock them. And they could probably have bought them for 50 cents each and sold them for $5 each. Not even a huge impact on their inventory. Yet, they would have made a sale and kept a satisfied customer.

Hydraulics? EPS, Di2, etc. If you wish to work on the bikes, then get the tools.

It is like going into a shop and asking them to remove a cassette. Then they look at it and tell you that it takes a Shimano cassette tool. They have to order that in.

Yes, things change in the bike world.

Standard Bottom Brackets.
External Bearing Bottom Brackets
Press in Bottom Brackets.
Tubeless

A good shop will watch what is happening in the industry, and keep one step ahead.

Yes, perhaps they just want to sell fixies, but it won't be much of a shop if they can't support their customers.
Old 04-01-19, 10:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If OP is unhappy the LBS does not have a big inventory of parts Invest some of their money
in giving them more capital..
to have available for buying that stock.
Old 04-01-19, 10:39 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
I like to support LBS, but they also have to be a viable business. Just because someone is passionate about riding does not mean they should open a bike shop. It takes much more that just the love of bikes. One also needs to be a salesman (person?), a jack of all trades, a listener and most importantly: Treat every customer like they are the most important person in the place. As soon as I see them hovering around the big bike buyers and ignoring the old person looking to buy an inner tube, I walk right out.
If I see a bike very overpriced, so they can knock 10% off the price and make the unaware buyer feel good, that sends up a flag.
The LBS has to earn our trust, not just open a door and expect loyalty.
Old 04-01-19, 11:14 PM
freegeek

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The shop didn't have a bleed kit ... and since, with four shops int he chain as the OP noted, there would be inter-shop swapping ... apparently they had never needed a bleed kit.

But again, it is all expectations. Some people have a mental image of a bike shop, what is should be and do ... and when their fantasies don't fit with reality they get P O'd. Instead of thinking, "I am at the wrong shop," the person thinks, "This shop sucks." No ... it is just that that shop isn;t the one you need to be at.

And if it is the only one in your area ... Wahhhh! "I Deserve to have exactly what I need, Immediately, all the time!" Yeah, and the shops "deserve" to have customers who are going to see what the shop Actually sells ... do you go to restaurants and get mad because you went to a steak house and imagined the'y be a seafood restaurant?

Worse still the guy already didn't like the chain of shops, but went there ... he stepped in a mess on purpose and is blaming someone else.

The shop owes a customer nothing but the truth and good work. if a job will take a week, that's how long it takes ... for whatever reason. If the job is done right, that is what matters.

if I went to a shop with a really good mechanic and he was backed up because everyone knew he was a really good mechanic ... I should whine? if I went there and the mechanic was out sick, I should whine? The Only conditions under which I have a right to complain is if A.) the shop lies about how long the job will take, or B.) they do it wrong. The OP effectively entered into a contract with the shop. if he didn't like the terms, he had options. he made the choice and is now whining.

This whole thread is basically one guy crying "I had to wait to get what I wanted." He got what he wanted, he just had to wait. I am sure there are plenty of organ transplant candidates who would love to be in his shoes.
a bleed kit is an essential maintenance tool for a LBS that sells bikes with hydraulic discs. They have a sales floor with all the latest BMC, Bianchi, Ridley bikes with shimano disc brakes. I could have walked out with a $10k bike, I just have to hope they don't need too service them
Old 04-01-19, 11:17 PM
freegeek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
With so many bikes having hydraulic brakes nowdays, I think that any good reputable bike shop should have a universal brake bleeding kit which fits different brands of brakes.
explains my puzzled look on my face when the guy told me that my bike will be a few days more in the shop because they have to order the bleed kit. Whats's next, we can not service your bike because we don't have a number 8 hex key
Old 04-01-19, 11:21 PM
freegeek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Well to be fair, Shimano cassettes really are the rarest of all bike components...I've never seen one in person, but I hear-tell that some are actually plated with a special gold-rubidium plating suitable for only the most extreme cycling conditions.

Hydraulic hoses too! OMG! A flexible passage that transmits force, undiminished at right angles throughout it's entire length? Tell me what they'll come up with next! This is truly some remarkable feat of modern engineering; The likes of which could revolutionize cycling for the next 30 years...A true once in a lifetime innovation.
haha, yeah. I don't understand some people here. The parts I described is basically what is standard on a road bike. Nowadays you have to look hard to find a road bike without hydraulic disc brakes and shimano cassettes are used on million bikes but apparently I'm a difficult customer if I find it weird that a LBS that sells road bikes does not have what is basically a standard cassette.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.