Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 01:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
SPD (non-SL) are fine for the road.

Sidi Dominator MTB and Genius road shoes are the exact same thing except 2 bolt vs 3 bolt. I find no functional difference between the two on the bike and walking is easier with SPD shoes.

When my road pedals die I'll probably switch to Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti SPD pedals at 212 grams/pair and do away with road pedals and shoes entirely. I'll use touring shoes for casual riding and XC racing MTB shoes for fast road rides.

SPD are ubiquitous and cleats are $16.

There really isn't a reason to put up with not being able to walk properly IMO.

-Tim-
Old 06-17-19, 07:40 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
SPD (non-SL) are fine for the road.

Sidi Dominator MTB and Genius road shoes are the exact same thing except 2 bolt vs 3 bolt. I find no functional difference between the two on the bike and walking is easier with SPD shoes.

When my road pedals die I'll probably switch to Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti SPD pedals at 212 grams/pair and do away with road pedals and shoes entirely. I'll use touring shoes for casual riding and XC racing MTB shoes for fast road rides.

SPD are ubiquitous and cleats are $16.

There really isn't a reason to put up with not being able to walk properly IMO.

-Tim-
I'll check those out. I bought a pair of giro off amazon today. Not sure of the quality but they were fairly inexpensive so I'm sure I can make due with them for a while. Thank you for your recommendations. I'm gonna check them out. Also it seems some folks don't walk in their cycling shoes. Not arguing just trying to understand. I have a very limited view of the cycling community. But everyone I've ridden with walks in their cycling shoes. I mean when we do store stops I've not seen anyone take their shoes off and go in. Just wondering the context I guess.

Last edited by Weakbikr; 06-17-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 07:56 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
As others pointed out you ended up with the wrong shoe/cleat combination. You have road shoes (nothing around the cleat) but mountain 2 bolt pedals. If you want to stay with clipless you'd be far more comfortable with mountain shoes that have tread on each side of the cleat so you can walk around.

They look more like this you can see how the tread on each side of the cleat makes them more walkable:

That being said, if maximum walkability is what you want, flats are the best. I switched from clipless to flats because my feet hurt with clipless (maybe not the case for everyone but it was for me) and there's a lot of convenience factors in flats - wearing in the car to the ride, not need to switch shoes before and after the ride, putting a foot down and knowing I'll have grip, etc.

I have Dmr Vault Pedals (expensive but the most comfortable pedal):
https://www.amazon.com/DMR-Vault-Ped...dp/B07G3GN9B7/

Raceface Chesters are supposed to be good (and much cheaper) but I haven't used them myself.

For shoes, Five Ten's use a special rubber compound that is more grippy on metal pins than regular rubber and completely eliminates any foot-slides-off-the-pedal issues:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...hoe/BTM00.html
Old 06-18-19, 05:38 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Weakbikr
Also it seems some folks don't walk in their cycling shoes. Not arguing just trying to understand. I have a very limited view of the cycling community. But everyone I've ridden with walks in their cycling shoes. I mean when we do store stops I've not seen anyone take their shoes off and go in. Just wondering the context I guess.
When I ride I just ride. I don't stop anywhere and do anything. Now, in some other areas there are brewerys and coffee shops that cater to cyclists (like in Philly where my daughter lives for example) so you have a reason to stop. Around here there is nothing like that.

If I have to go to the store I'll drive, as I don't want to leave my rather expensive bike outside and I don't want to lug a heavy bike lock around.
Old 06-18-19, 05:57 AM
Weakbikr

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
I guess for clarification, most of the longer rides being 40 miles and up incorporate a store stop where we will rest for a few. Get a drink bathroom break etc... Those are the times I'm talking about walking around. Not just riding up to the store to grab a soda. Like I said earlier. I have a very limited view of the cycling community and can only speak of the rides I have been on. These types of rides are pretty common around here. I do understand however that there are more hardcore riders who don't break often and their routine would certainly be different. I have ordered a pair of mtb shoes to solve my problem. Everyone has been very helpful and I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Feels good to know there is a wealth of knowledge here to use when needed.
Old 06-18-19, 01:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Weakbikr
I guess for clarification, most of the longer rides being 40 miles and up incorporate a store stop where we will rest for a few. Get a drink bathroom break etc... Those are the times I'm talking about walking around. Not just riding up to the store to grab a soda. Like I said earlier. I have a very limited view of the cycling community and can only speak of the rides I have been on. These types of rides are pretty common around here. I do understand however that there are more hardcore riders who don't break often and their routine would certainly be different. I have ordered a pair of mtb shoes to solve my problem. Everyone has been very helpful and I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Feels good to know there is a wealth of knowledge here to use when needed.
Do what you believe is best for you and the type of riding you do. I use SPD pedals because my group tend to socialize a lot as we are bunch of old military retirees. I have both MTB and road shoes( depending on which grabs my eye and currently a good deal). For road shoes without the 2 hole SPD, I use the Sidi SPD adapter plates.
Old 06-19-19, 07:59 PM
fayzane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I picked Giro cyclocross shoes with SPD cleats and Shimano XT-T8000 touring pedals. Needed beefy pedals due to bad feet.