Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 09:03 PM
Lamplight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
Did the brake boss come completely off of the stay or did the post come out of the squarish piece that is brazed to the stay?
The post just came out of the square portion that is brazed to the frame, but it appears the post was brazed on to that part. I guess it could simply be tack welded or brazed back into place, but I'd have to have it painted, at least in that area if not the whole frame. I secured the cantilever so it wouldn't flop around and then took the bike for a short spin. It rides amazingly well (besides having no rear brakes. ) and feels basically brand new. I just took it down the street and back, but it seems like it would be scary offroad.
Old 03-19-06, 10:18 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
The post just came out of the square portion that is brazed to the frame, but it appears the post was brazed on to that part. I guess it could simply be tack welded or brazed back into place, but I'd have to have it painted, at least in that area if not the whole frame. I secured the cantilever so it wouldn't flop around and then took the bike for a short spin. It rides amazingly well (besides having no rear brakes. ) and feels basically brand new. I just took it down the street and back, but it seems like it would be scary offroad.
It was scary. Mostly because of the looong front center. That helps when it isn't too rough, but in the really rough stuff you just have to get off. And the really steep stuff. Both ways. Race courses were by and large set for the capabilities of the bikes of the day (not always, though...I have scars and a permanent tweak from a cracked hip, racing on courses that an insane person designed).

The post, more than likely, wasn't tacked at the factory. The end is mushroomed into the square thingie - frame builders are supposed to braze it but often neglected to do that. If you have access to a frame builder he can fix it with minimal damage to the paint. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't trust any other solution besides honest brazing...
Old 03-20-06, 03:22 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sure, old steel road bikes are the catz pajamas. And ancient, crusty track bikes are fascinating, if unfathomable, and big ballooner bikes remind us of our childhood, but what about Mountain Bikes? Is anyone out there assembling a collection? Do you have an original Moots, or Ritchey with hand-rolled Bontrager wheels? Still have the bike that you won that NORBA National on?

We need to see 'em. Come on, don't be shy. Post us a picture of your vintage MTB.
I have an original 1980 Specailized Stumpjumper nicknamed the TANK. It was a fantastic bike that allowed me off road for years travelling the lumber company roads and trails of Oregon and Washington. I have the original fork and brakes Cantis but the bike now sports a Judy shock and early Vee brakes. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow so I can upload it.
My newer bike is a Scapin steel mtb (frame wt 3.1 lbs) built in 2001. It is an incredible ride. I'll photo that one as well.
Old 03-20-06, 11:49 AM
cyclodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deanster04
I have an original 1980 Specailized Stumpjumper
Uhhh, except there was no such thing as a Specialized Stumpjumper in 1980.

https://www.firstflightbikes.com/timeline.htm

I have to imagine that think handles like a tank with a sus. fork on that raked out front end!
Old 03-20-06, 12:08 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think...that the paramountain predated the KOM, but I don't have anything here to prove that - Stan or Bob would probably know exactly. I have a 1991, and it is labeled Paramount, in the same big block letters as the road bike...
Paramountain production began about mid-year 1986 and was in the 1987 catalog. The KOM came along in 1988.

https://www.geocities.com/sldbconsumer/1987/87atb03.html

Here is the breakdown of the later Paramount production:

https://www.waterfordbikes.com/site/c...ara_series.php

By the way, I see a pair of King Stings up on Ebay - look to be nearly NOS - starting bid is $2500, though.
Very cool bikes (though I think that price is a bit steep). Their cheap cousin -- the Sidewinder -- on the First Flight site used to belong to my Dad:

https://www.firstflightbikes.com/1982_Sidewinder.htm

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Old 03-20-06, 01:09 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BobHufford
Paramountain production began about mid-year 1986 and was in the 1987 catalog. The KOM came along in 1988.

https://www.geocities.com/sldbconsumer/1987/87atb03.html

Here is the breakdown of the later Paramount production:

https://www.waterfordbikes.com/site/c...ara_series.php

Very cool bikes (though I think that price is a bit steep). Their cheap cousin -- the Sidewinder -- on the First Flight site used to belong to my Dad:

https://www.firstflightbikes.com/1982_Sidewinder.htm

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Bob, thanks for providing the link to that Sidewinder. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that model. I saw one of those at a Pawn Shop recently, almost bought it just for the gigantic whitewall knobbies it had on it! But the guy was asking too much, IMHO, and I didn't want the bike that badly anyway. Those bikes are pretty cool, though-
Old 03-21-06, 09:52 AM
* jack *

Bikes: more, please.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of vintage mountain bikes, I just came across this old photo, thought I would share it:

Old 03-21-06, 10:14 AM
leunkstar
Jasper

Bikes: '90 Peugeot Ventoux, Cornelo, '89 Gazelle Field Cruiser MTB, '83 Peugeot PFN10, '96 Gary Fisher Aquila

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jack, what did I say! No public pictures of Keith, Gary and me!
Old 03-21-06, 10:15 AM
nicomachus

Bikes: n+1

Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by * jack *
Speaking of vintage mountain bikes, I just came across this old photo, thought I would share it:

Sterling Lorence has nothing on Waldo Bascom.
Old 03-21-06, 01:05 PM
well biked

Buncha long-haired goofballs!.....That'll never catch on......

Last edited by well biked; 03-22-06 at 05:20 PM. Reason: remove photo and quote
Old 04-13-06, 04:10 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In honor of our moderator's self-confessed fetish for over the top paint jobs, check out my latest project -a Russ Denny Fuso from about 1993 with just about the wildest paint job in this part of Idaho. I built it back with XTR, excluding the Syncros, Nuke, and Topline parts. Weighs 23.5 lb, and when I find my Conti racers, it'll weigh even less. I've been riding it in lieu of a road bike, seeing as how the weather here is about as bad as Seattle right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dt.jpg (50.7 KB, 657 views)
fthub.jpg (63.2 KB, 673 views)
headtube.jpg (79.1 KB, 697 views)
rearstay.jpg (86.3 KB, 699 views)
full.jpg (81.1 KB, 894 views)
Old 04-13-06, 06:57 PM
Lamplight

Oh man, that bike has so many of my favorite components from back in the day. First gen XTR, Topline Cranks, Flite saddle, Nuke Proof hubs....that's some expensive stuff!
Old 04-13-06, 08:00 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had two racebikes back then - one is still together and I use it when I go to the in-law's house. The other got blown apart years ago, and many of these parts came from that second bike. The nukes are just glass. I bought a syncros post, stem and titanium bottom bracket on eBay because the Syncros sticker is under the clear, but the ATAC stem was NOS in a pile at the back of the LBS, and I couldn't resist it. In the same pile was a set of NOS switchblades, and I couldn't resist them either. I shamed the owner into blowing 'em out to me, knowing he'd been sitting on 'em for almost fifteen years.
Old 05-05-06, 07:10 PM
Lamplight

I'm posting again because I finally repaired my Stumpjumper and also got around to taking a decent picture of it! Unfortunately the guy who welded the brake boss back on managed to pop the rear tire on the sidewall, so I patched it basically for the picture, and will get a new tube tomorrow. However, there is now a small hole in the sidewall. I'm pretty sure this bike is cursed. lol

To be honest, it's actually a little scary to ride even on the street.
Old 05-05-06, 09:49 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That bike rocks. I'm pretty sure that it isn't cursed, although the welder might be...you can boot the tire by gluing a little piece of a road tire inside, where the hole is. The tires are too cool to trash.
Old 05-05-06, 10:34 PM
Lamplight

Thanks luker, I'll try that out tomorrow. My brother and his friend both rode it around a little earlier and loved it! I may have to build a second barn...
Old 05-05-06, 10:34 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
I'm posting again because I finally repaired my Stumpjumper and also got around to taking a decent picture of it!
She's so purty. Those classic lines....
Old 05-07-06, 05:08 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
My '88 MB-2 set up for summer commuting:

https://community.webshots.com/photo/...8014369opcapm#
Old 05-07-06, 08:03 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
My '88 MB-2 set up for summer commuting:

https://community.webshots.com/photo/...8014369opcapm#
Those bridgestones are sweet bikes. I didn't peg you for a retro-grouch, though?
Old 05-07-06, 09:24 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Those bridgestones are sweet bikes. I didn't peg you for a retro-grouch, though?
You must have me confused with someone else. Look up retro-grouch in the dictionary and you'll find my picture. That's my only bike with index shifting.
Old 06-10-06, 09:10 PM
Lamplight

Had to bring this thread back to life one more time to post my brother's '94 Trek 930. We put it together almost entirely with spare parts I had left over from my '90s mountain bike stage, so it's still lacking in a few areas.

Oh, and that's a crusty '95 Trek 850 in the background)
Old 06-10-06, 09:35 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by nick burns
I have a 1985 Cannondale SM600 with the 26" front 24" back wheel setup and a 1987 Raleigh Mountain Tour. Both have been modified a bit, the Raleigh is my snow/ice bike, and I've kept all the original parts for the C'dale.

I try to get some photos up soon.
I also have a similar Cannondale. It's an '86 SM700 with the heavier cast crown forks of '84-'85. It was the only option at the time, if I wanted a 20" frame in yellow. It also has the 26/24 wheel set up. I remember when I saw it in the C'dale brochure. The two things that sold me were the smaller rear wheel and the rear brakes located on the seat stays. (as opposed to the "trend" of the day; rear brakes {rollercam or U brakes} located on the chainstays, behind the bottom bracket) The girlfriend that bought it for me is now my wife and I still have both. The bike AND the Cannondale brochure!!

(I guess I should have taken a picture, resized it and saved it as a jpg BEFORE I replied to this post.Ooops)

Old 06-14-06, 08:55 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
My classic Ritchey

Here is Tom Ritchey holding my 1983 Ritchey Annapurna at the recent Sea Otter Classic.
Attached Images
Ritchey01.jpg (97.3 KB, 1114 views)
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 06-14-06, 08:59 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by Repack Rider
Here is Tom Ritchey holding my 1983 Ritchey Annapurna at the recent Sea Otter Classic.
Now that's cool!
Old 06-15-06, 09:03 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
He looks just as fast as ever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.