Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sticky thread for batteries?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Sticky thread for batteries?

Old 07-10-17, 12:43 PM
buffalo_cody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody have experience with https://sun-ebike.com?

I'm specifically looking at the 48v lithium ion batteries.

Last edited by buffalo_cody; 07-10-17 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 07:49 PM
Lin_Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalo_cody
Anybody have experience with LifePO4 battery Li-ion battery ebike motor bicycle kit?

I'm specifically looking at the 48v lithium ion batteries.
Haven't experience sun-ebike but have great experience with electro bike world They have high quality lithium batteries from all specs and size at affordable price, 1 year warranty and free shipping. They also do custom battery pack according to your personal specs and dimensions. Check them out.
Old 07-24-17, 11:47 AM
eric1565

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18650 battery packs

I saw edisonmotors.net sells custom packs made from Tesla model S cells. I don't think they come with bms's so a hobby charger would be needed to charge them.
Old 07-26-17, 05:13 AM
flxbike

Bikes: FLX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished up getting a nonreverse 36v 250 watts geared front hub for her trike build. I was impressed with the hub quality.
Old 09-19-17, 08:58 AM
JackA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PIM Battery Upgrade

I have been riding the new PIM 380 Wh battery and have enjoyed the extra 8 to 15 miles of peddle assist. PIM technicians say they are working on a 500 Wh for next year.
Old 10-11-17, 05:55 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lithium Tech
I am familiar with dewalt 24 volt batteries. What would you like to know about them?
How can these be used for my application. Recent purchase of what looks to be a Schwinn Transit model turnkey factory E-bike. 2010??. I am at the infant stage of e-bikes and the currentSLA type 3 X 12volt 9.0AH batts. Are dated and need of replacement. This is a working set up, not without some problems.

I would guess (3 X12v) the bike is set up for 36 volt although the hub indicated markings 24V700C220W28KM (what is 700C?) 220W 28KM (what is 28KM?)

The neighbor tossed out a newer Kobalt weed whip w Li ion 40V 2.0AH 1 batt & 1 non working charger the reason for discarding it. It has been used very little. I have seen other Kobalt batteries the same size/part # online availiable new for $45 for 40v 2.0AH & $58 for 40V 4.0AH.
Could these batteries be useful?
Old 10-12-17, 03:27 AM
Lithium Tech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the problem with the 24 volt Dewalt batteries are that they are only 2 A/H. You would need 4 of those to get much ride time. I have been tempted to try Milwaukee 28 v Lithium ion batteries. That only because I have the set.
The number 24V700C220W28KM 24v is the voltage. 700C is the rim size. 220W is the motor wattage or power. I don't know about the 28KM.
It is typical for a 24 volt motor to use 36 volt batteries. My BionX ebike uses a 36 volt motor with a 48 volt battery.
Your original batteries had a 9.0 A/H capacity that translates to ridetime. Your replacement battery should be close to that or more. More is always better.
I just done this update to an EV Global ebike that was produced in the 80s I built a Lithium ion pack that was 36 volt and 15 A/H. It was 10 pounds lighter than the original battery.
The Kobalt 40 volt batteries are nice but you would need about 4 or 5 of those to equal your original battery.
Old 10-17-17, 08:06 AM
eric1565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also go to endless sphere.com and look up okashira. He sells tesla cells and can make them into what ever pack you want. He will do any S and any P you want. for 40V it would be something like 10S5P for a total of 50 cells and weight about 5.75 lbs. He can also do any connector you want.

I strongly recommend not taking apart dewalt packs unless you are going to be very carefull. You can break the cells if you try to rip off the nickle, so just cut it if you are going to do that. Also soldering to Li-ion cells can damage them, that is why they are all welded. The heat is very quick when you spot weld the cells.

Take a look
Eric
Old 08-09-18, 08:05 AM
kootguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about the Vruzend no solder battery connectors i purchased the 1.5 version and realized that the kit wouldn't work well for a high output battery for man reasons S o wanted a refund on the unopened merchandise no such luck that is why I'm here very quick at taking your money but no reply when wanting a refund BE VERY CAREFUL OF VRUZEND BATTERY CONNECTORS I DON'T THINK IT IS GOOD ENOUGH TECHNOLOGY FOR HIGH AMP BATTERIE
Old 08-12-18, 07:38 PM
eric1565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to endlesssphere.com and look in the used section for Tesla battery packs or similar . Guys there take Tesla cells and make custom packs for people.

Eric
Old 08-20-18, 10:09 AM
Lin_Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out electrobikeworld.com they are base in USA and do custom lithium ion battery packs. You can give them the dimensions, the specs and the cells you want and they can build it for you. I had them build me a 52v 30Ah with Panasonic GA cells and the price was cheapest I found anywhere! It even comes with a 5amp charger and 1 year warranty. I highly recommend them if you need affordable lithium batteries.
Old 11-05-18, 08:17 AM
dieth34

Bikes: LA Pro Spectrum 6061

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I build e-bikes on custom orders and also build my battery packs myself, usual I use the LG MJ1 3500mAh 18650 Li-Ion cells witch are top quality, and I tried before batteries from China witch where all crap, so I advise anyone not to buy batteries from China unless you know you can trust the seller about the quality of the Battery.
Old 11-12-18, 04:02 PM
Lin_Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree Chinese cells are not good quality. I find in my experience the LG are mediocre in terms of power and longevity. The best cells IMO is the Panasonic. There's a good reason why Tesla use them. I bought a 52v 20Ah battery from Electro Bike World with genuine Panasonic cells and they perform brilliantly! I've had it for well over 3 years now and it still charges fully to 58.8v every time. It still has the power as the day I first bought it. It's absolutely amazing and I wouldn't use any other battery moving forward.
Old 12-30-18, 05:59 PM
Easter3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VRdublove
I ended up choosing B&B's HR22 AGM batteries, they seem to be top of the line when it comes to SLA AGM batteries and they use high quality virgin lead. Zbattery Battery Supply | Bulk AA, AAA, 9V batteries | Maglite has the best prices on B&B batteries that I could find anywhere. Also, don't be tricked by the batteries on batteryspace.com, they look like B&B's on the site, but they are actually much lower quality Tysonic copies. They are only about $10 cheaper for a much lower quality battery.
Hello,
Converting an old Electric Motion Systems E+ EPlus, 1000w 36V electric bike, from the old heavy nickel batteries, to LiFEPo4. Do you have info on the specs needed for battery, links to possible batteries, or, what kind of charge protection is needed with links to sources of these items. Real newbie here, but electronically inclined. Thanks!
Old 12-30-18, 06:04 PM
Easter3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1565
You can also go to endless sphere.com and look up okashira. He sells tesla cells and can make them into what ever pack you want. He will do any S and any P you want. for 40V it would be something like 10S5P for a total of 50 cells and weight about 5.75 lbs. He can also do any connector you want.

I strongly recommend not taking apart dewalt packs unless you are going to be very carefull. You can break the cells if you try to rip off the nickle, so just cut it if you are going to do that. Also soldering to Li-ion cells can damage them, that is why they are all welded. The heat is very quick when you spot weld the cells.

Take a look
Eric
Hi Eric,
I couldn't find Okashira. Will look again. Do you still recommend him for batteries? Converting an old Electric Motion Systems E+ EPlus, 1000w 36V electric bike, from the old heavy nickel batteries, to LiFEPo4. Would like to get a pack that will power up hills, reliable, decent price if possible. Any links or ideas you can recommend? Thanks!
Old 03-29-19, 03:37 PM
Ecyclist96

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for a replacement battery pack for my electric bike, not a lot of information online about replacement batteries. The best price that I've found online is on Ride1Ups site, at $309 for a replacement 48V 10.4ah Reention Dorado battery and it includes keys and charger
Old 03-31-19, 06:39 PM
eric1565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery pack

Originally Posted by Easter3
Hi Eric,
I couldn't find Okashira. Will look again. Do you still recommend him for batteries? Converting an old Electric Motion Systems E+ EPlus, 1000w 36V electric bike, from the old heavy nickel batteries, to LiFEPo4. Would like to get a pack that will power up hills, reliable, decent price if possible. Any links or ideas you can recommend? Thanks!
​​​​​​

Just saw this, sorry. I don't think okashira is making Batts any more. I build them if u want one let me know and I'll get u a price. I've made a number over at endlesspshere.com for people
Old 03-31-19, 09:38 PM
nimbuzz

Bikes: Optibike R11 and Prodeco Outlaw 48 V

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't Look for "Best Price!"

Originally Posted by Ecyclist96
I was looking for a replacement battery pack for my electric bike, not a lot of information online about replacement batteries. The best price that I've found online is on Ride1Ups site, at $309 for a replacement 48V 10.4ah Reention Dorado battery and it includes keys and charger
I've gotten 10 replacement Li packs over 15 years IMO do not look for best price at all. There are a number of battery builders above in this forum and they, like me, have learned the hard way to not buy best price but to find the best quality and pay for it. Member here Lin_Latte looks like a good bet and there are others.

I also think very highly of and trust Justin at Grin Tech -- https://www.ebikes.ca/
Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by nimbuzz; 03-31-19 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 05:12 PM
BobKl

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Batteries are heavy

The more distance you want the heavier the bike.
Old 06-23-19, 06:57 PM
Lin_Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimbuzz
I've gotten 10 replacement Li packs over 15 years IMO do not look for best price at all. There are a number of battery builders above in this forum and they, like me, have learned the hard way to not buy best price but to find the best quality and pay for it. Member here Lin_Latte looks like a good bet and there are others.

I also think very highly of and trust Justin at Grin Tech -- https://www.ebikes.ca/
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you for the kind words and I totally agree, NEVER buy the best deal lithium batteries you can find on the internet but buy from a trusted vendor who are known to make quality battery packs. I use only genuine top brand name cells therefore all of my batteries have a 1 year warranty and free shipping within the lower 48 states. For more details and inquires visit www.electrobikeworld.com
Old 05-13-20, 08:26 AM
fulltimerart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool My Battery Story

In 2016 I bought a 250w 36v front wheel kit from Amazon ($180.00), a 36 volt charger ($35.00) and a 3 pack of SLA batteries from Mighty Max (on Amazon $61.00). Batteries lasted 2 years with about 1000 miles of riding, and I bought another set in 2018 (same price!) These also lasted the same, and in this period I swapped the motor kit to a "Cruiser" style bike-----the first was a "Mountain Bike". Fast forward to now, I just ordered my third set (still the same price!!) and expect the same good service from them. I am also on a tight budget and find that the $61.00 every couple of years is much easier to afford than the several hundred all at once for the lithium batteries. I enjoy the cruiser much more than the MTB and plan on riding it well into my 80's------almost there. I found that after the 2 years the range dropped to about 5 miles, and this is charging after every ride. Nice day today, time for a ride! Art
Old 07-10-20, 10:34 PM
Frankenbike27

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tesla cells are made in China! just different quality control, anyone getting this?
Old 07-10-20, 10:58 PM
Frankenbike27

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
nope, been there done that with lead acids, trust me. go for a say 25 amp/hour lithium. Samsung cells about $420 but lasts forever!
Old 07-17-20, 12:47 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Errand bike that's dormant for now. Motor kit is going on six years old. Bike rides great without "e" power. Controller out in the open so never has become even warm.
Old 07-27-20, 01:29 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Bought a "cheap" battery off ebay - laudation 36V 10ah Li-ion Battery 18650 (10s3p) for $135 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/laudation-3...72.m2749.l2649

It is supposed to have Built-in Panasonic NCR18650BD batteries.
Although the batteries are the right "color" they are unmarked, so I'm doubtful that is what they are. Certainly doesn't have the tel-tail black stripes at the ends of the cells.

I'm using this on a tiny controller (max 12 amps, probably 10 continuous), but the battery got hot after running hard - which doesn't sound right. Its rated 15amp continuous

. It did give me about 1hr 15min run time which is is what I expect.

The wiring is flimsy - not what I am used to at all. I did swap out the connectors to something more reliable. Cells are wrapped in cardboard - not really expecting more at this price point

Oddly, they sent me a charger even though it was not supposed to be included.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.