Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Toupe Gel Saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Toupe Gel Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 09:30 PM
morphius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toupe Gel Saddle

My butt hurts!!!! I feel like I am ready for prison by now

Is the Toupe Gel Saddle any good to ease the pain? or what about Toupé Team Saddle? its only $5 difference on Specialized web site.
Maybe more padding for my pants**********?
Old 04-30-09, 10:05 PM
40x14
delicious

Bikes: The one under my bum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toupe is good for numbness in the perineal area, but honestly not soo good for ze butt. I'd say it takes some miles and riding to develop a hardass suited for a toupe. Fizik Arione is great for butts and everything else. Around here the high end shops have demo programs and will let you try a saddle for a day (or more) before you buy, so whatdya' have to lose?
Old 04-30-09, 10:46 PM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The toupe team is basically the same saddle as the regular toupe with some colored bits here and there. Doubt that the toupe gel would seriously help the comfort factor. Either you need to let your butt get used to the toupe (only slightly likely), or try a different saddle, like a fizik arione or alliante.
Old 04-30-09, 11:16 PM
jmechy

Bikes: 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the toupe and had the rails bent in a crash. I switched to a toupe gel and couldn't stand it, I could never get comfy on it. I switched back to another toupe and have been happy ever since.
Old 05-01-09, 06:10 AM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a Toupe Gel...hated it. Hard as a rock despite the gel.
Old 05-01-09, 06:13 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I have never tried the gel version personally but have not heard much good about them. I do love my non gel Toupes though
Old 05-01-09, 07:05 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by 40x14
toupe is good for numbness in the perineal area, but honestly not soo good for ze butt. I'd say it takes some miles and riding to develop a hardass suited for a toupe. Fizik Arione is great for butts and everything else. Around here the high end shops have demo programs and will let you try a saddle for a day (or more) before you buy, so whatdya' have to lose?
What he said. I've suffered from numb nuts and crotch for years and recently bought a used bike with the Toupe. The difference was a Godsend until a few hundred miles later and despite having happy fellows and taint, my sit bones are bruised beyond comparison.

I'm getting used to it, but even now after a few months, I can feel soreness in my sit bones if I think about it.

Old 05-01-09, 09:11 AM
morphius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
What he said. I've suffered from numb nuts and crotch for years and recently bought a used bike with the Toupe. The difference was a Godsend until a few hundred miles later and despite having happy fellows and taint, my sit bones are bruised beyond comparison.

I'm getting used to it, but even now after a few months, I can feel soreness in my sit bones if I think about it.
what about good padding? maybe the combination of the saddle and the padding can help? Which padding shorts?
Old 05-01-09, 09:19 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miller2
I had a Toupe Gel...hated it. Hard as a rock despite the gel.
I'd rate the Toupe Gel as the worst saddle I've ever ridden! After giving it a try, I wasn't even tempted to try the non-Gel version. That said, the Phenom saddle on my new Stumpjumper has been quite nice! But I spend a lot less time in the saddle on the MTB
Old 05-01-09, 09:27 AM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Brooks is your friend. Leather saddles have been made for 100 years because they work. Specialized Toupe is an injected molded plastic that should not even cost 100$.

Try a Brooks Professional or the standard B17...Great seats. I can ride my brooks 50 miles with regular shorts and no underwear...Couldn't do that with a Toupe or any other plastic seat.