Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

A dog question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 08:34 AM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A dog question

Dogs generally bark at cyclists.
If I get off my bike, the dogs will often trot back into their yards. If I am a pedestrian, the same dogs don't bark. Cars speed by the dogs and they don't respond. BUT a bicycle goes by their property and they bark and want to chase the cycle.

So what is it that attracts their attention?
Is it a sound (ultra-high) that does it?
Is it the spinning wheel?
Is it my breathing (huff-n-puff)?
Old 05-05-09, 11:22 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
It's the wheel. They see it, smell the person, and the equation doesn't register. They tend to freak out. Getting off the bike once they start chasing isn't a wise choice either.
Old 05-05-09, 11:29 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've had a few dogs give chase, and in all instances except two, the same trick has worked. As I see the dog starting to sprint toward me, a quick point at the ground and a loud "SIT!" has kept most of them at bay.
Old 05-05-09, 11:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Getting off the bike once they start chasing isn't a wise choice either.
Actually, that's one trick that has been quite effective for me. I haven't used it often, but I have had dogs charging me on a climb, where I'm moving really slowly, and I've just hopped off the bicycle and stood there, with the bicycle between me and the dog, and started to talk quietly to the dog. So far, in every case, the dog has stopped, given a few barks, and has returned to his/her farm.

That's actually a mail carrier trick too ... to just stop, with the mail bag between you and the dog, and talk quietly to the dog.
Old 05-05-09, 11:46 AM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really have a problem with controlling the dog and I'm not talking about the great dane next door (he barks at anything to protect his property). Rather, when I am on a long ride out in the country, the farm dog which may be hidden behind the barn is able to detect my presence before I even come in sight. It leads me to think that there is a sound it hears. The spinning wheel, no doubt, reinforces the need to bark.

Maybe I should put one of those deer whistles on the bike for my next ride and see if that makes more dogs bark
Old 05-05-09, 11:54 AM
tjwarren
call me T.J.

Bikes: trek 820

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There does seem to be something "different" about a bicycle that dogs like. You're right, they won't chase a car, but they will chase a bike.

I haven't dismounted for a dog yet, but I have given chase to one a few times. He doesn't quite know what to make of that. Sadly, he corners better than I do, so it tends to be a lot of "GO HOME!" *pedal pedal brake turn* "GO HOME ALREADY!" *pedal pedal brake turn*. Eventually I ride off and he just watches me go.

I used to have a paper route when I was a kid, and there was one dog who would chase me (on foot) every morning: I'd park my bike at the curb, run up to one porch, run to the next door porch, and back to my bike. He'd chase me between his house and the next house. It never bothered me much, and I pretty much ignored him; until one morning when he nipped me on the butt! Didn't break the skin or anything, but it got my attention! The next time I saw him I chased him, yelling the whole way, all the way back to his yard. He didn't chase me again after that!
Old 05-05-09, 01:04 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Machka
Actually, that's one trick that has been quite effective for me. I haven't used it often, but I have had dogs charging me on a climb, where I'm moving really slowly, and I've just hopped off the bicycle and stood there, with the bicycle between me and the dog, and started to talk quietly to the dog. So far, in every case, the dog has stopped, given a few barks, and has returned to his/her farm.

That's actually a mail carrier trick too ... to just stop, with the mail bag between you and the dog, and talk quietly to the dog.
If you can get off before the dog gets really worked-up, you'll be ok. Otherwise - it can be a no-win.

I have found that barking back at the dog confuses them, and can give enough time to work clear of them. Don't try this with a pit bull though.
Old 05-05-09, 01:50 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I've had a few dogs give chase, and in all instances except two, the same trick has worked. As I see the dog starting to sprint toward me, a quick point at the ground and a loud "SIT!" has kept most of them at bay.
so... what happened the two times it didn't work?!

interesting tip tho, i haven't heard of that approach.

my race videos
Old 05-05-09, 03:01 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
so... what happened the two times it didn't work?!

interesting tip tho, i haven't heard of that approach.
Two times it didn't work, a quick spritz from the water bottle confused 'em enough to give me a breakaway gap and they gave up.

I got the idea from my dad, back when I was still a kid and we'd ride together. He did it once, and the dog just about skidded to a halt on its backside before ever making it past the sidewalk. If owners teach their dogs anything, it's usually 4 basics: Name, sit, heel, stay. Even really ornery or dumb dogs manage to learn their name and "sit"; and sit is usually one that's conditioned heavily. You say it loud enough, and it's like barking orders at a PFC fresh outta boot: They're doing it before they even look to see who yelled it.
Old 05-05-09, 03:52 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Two times it didn't work, a quick spritz from the water bottle confused 'em enough to give me a breakaway gap and they gave up.

I got the idea from my dad, back when I was still a kid and we'd ride together. He did it once, and the dog just about skidded to a halt on its backside before ever making it past the sidewalk. If owners teach their dogs anything, it's usually 4 basics: Name, sit, heel, stay. Even really ornery or dumb dogs manage to learn their name and "sit"; and sit is usually one that's conditioned heavily. You say it loud enough, and it's like barking orders at a PFC fresh outta boot: They're doing it before they even look to see who yelled it.
Kinda like a kid yelling "Dad!" at Toys R Us?
Old 05-05-09, 04:25 PM
palookabutt
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the ubiquitous "Aaay!" in a threatening voice. It seems to have the same effect as those described above. I might try "sit" though.

There's a dog near one of the trails around here who LOVES to chase cyclists -- from the other side of the fence, fortunately. He'll see you coming, tear off like a bat out of hell to the end of his fence, then come back grunting as if to say, "I dropped your a-ss, pal!"

My worst encounter so far was with a trio of Chihuahuas. Those little guys were fearless, even when I spritzed them with water. They weren't trained at all, so no amount of scolding got their attention. The inept owner finally rounded them up and I was on my way.

But I had a sense that I had just escaped Lilliput (Lillipup?)
Old 05-05-09, 06:05 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
another reason to get faster!

i had an ankle biter just last week on a dirt road while climbing 13%.
my mates up the road made it by before the dogs were on to them - but the critters ambushed me.

i saw the whole scene unwind as i crawled up the hill.
a stern 'no!' or 'sit!' often does the trick.
i did undo the velcro on my pump and prepped a water bottle for squirting.
1 was more bark than bite, the other was planning for my ankle and nearly got there but hesitated when i shouted.
it wouldn't have mattered how hard i pushed at that point... i was redlining as it was.

horses will spook too. we encountered those on the same road - 1 equestrian was polite and as i slowed told me not to worry, another pair pulled out right in front of us without checking the road. horses looked freaked as we were bombing down a hill and went into avoidance mode. owners appeared pissed about it...
Old 05-05-09, 06:34 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cadillac

I have also noticed that dogs seem to have an "ESP" when it comes to bicycles. I'll often hear barking from dogs long before they can see me. I think they must hear something we can not.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 05-05-09, 08:48 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhchdh
I think they must hear something we can not.
I can hear cyclists panting.
Old 05-05-09, 08:52 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhchdh
I think they must hear something we can not.
they hear far more than most humans can.
Old 05-06-09, 02:35 PM
palookabutt
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
They can also smell a lot more than we can. It wouldn't surprise me if my odor after a long ride is, to a dog, the olfactory equivalent of a rock concert.
Old 05-06-09, 09:56 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I theorize that it's two things. First, we're Different. A thousand cars a day pass, and one bicycle, so something's got to be wrong there. If a thousand bikes passed and one car, he'd bark at the car.

Secondly, we're slow. We're going right at Doggy Speed. If they try to chase a car going 60, that lasts half a second. With a bike, they can chase it a mile. With a walker, there's no way to chase.

I think sometimes dogs get confused because I'm riding too slow. It's hard to chase something going slower than you are.
Old 05-06-09, 09:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I know they like to chase Yellow Bikes.