Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you use a kickstand?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you have a kickstand on your bike?
Yes
39.89%
No
52.66%
What is a Kickstand?
7.45%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a kickstand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 09:17 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
Kickstands clamp on and put stresses on parts of a bike that aren't meant to have it. I think using a kickstand is a great way to damage a bike frame. No kickstands for me.
Old 02-13-17, 12:08 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I ride daily, even though I only use a kickstand outside my house whem placing all the gear on the frame (lights/panniers/etc) I like having it on there.
Old 02-13-17, 11:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn_cyclist
Kickstands clamp on and put stresses on parts of a bike that aren't meant to have it. I think using a kickstand is a great way to damage a bike frame. No kickstands for me.
+1 I think you have an excellent point here.

If I were to use one, it would be the kind that get clamped on by the quick release on the rear wheel.
Old 02-13-17, 12:00 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I have, and use, a kickstand on my commuter/utility bike. However, my "fun" bikes don't have them.
Old 02-13-17, 09:07 PM
packitin
Greenway Roadrunner

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Roubaix 28cm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
No, never have needed one. I will not place anything on my 18 lb bike that adds any weight.
Old 02-13-17, 09:12 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes. I have Greenfield KS3 kickstands on two steel vintage bikes that I now have and I love them. They ain't gonna hurt a steel frame. Would I put one on my CF bike? Uh, no.
Old 02-14-17, 09:01 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn_cyclist
I believe the older, less fancy steel frames were probably OK, and those are the bikes that I've put kickstands onto. I put some rubber in between the kickstand and the frame, and don't torque it super hard. I've never seen a dented frame from a kickstand.

So it's definitely a case of using your best judgment about what you can install on any particular frame. But I also think mainstream bikes are a lot less delicate than people tend to think. On the other hand, a bike that's too delicate to accommodate a kickstand, may also be too delicate to park anywhere.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 02-14-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 11:09 AM
Roadwanderer

Bikes: 1972 Royce Union 5-Speed

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old steel Univega Safari has a kickstand. I don't know if it's original equipment, but it is bolted to a portion of the frame that appears to exist for that purpose.

Someone said earlier something to the effect of "people who ride a lot don't use kickstands, people who don't ride a lot do." I think this is generally correct. You ride from your garage to a place with a bike rack and you're not going to be using your kickstand a lot.

However, I stop in open areas with no suitable bike stand often enough that I'd much prefer my kickstand than to be without one. I have an aversion to laying my bike on the ground for a number of reasons, several of which involve my reluctance to risk accidentally scuffing my bike up for no reason.

My general philosophy on equipment is it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Especially if I'm not putting myself out by having it.
Old 02-18-17, 06:14 PM
wjjones
Slowpoke

Bikes: Shinola Detroit Arrow; Burley Rumba tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Three bike, two with kickstands. When I can figure a way to install one on my Surly Cross Check, I will.
Old 02-18-17, 06:54 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadwanderer
Someone said earlier something to the effect of "people who ride a lot don't use kickstands, people who don't ride a lot do." I think this is generally correct. You ride from your garage to a place with a bike rack and you're not going to be using your kickstand a lot.
I could counter that with "2 wheel vehicles have kickstands, 2 wheel toys don't".

Its really a matter of perspective, to me a bicycle is transportation that can be used for recreation, to others a bicycle is sports equipment that can be used for transportation.
Old 02-19-17, 08:05 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
My locks hold the bike up.
Old 02-19-17, 08:16 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I haven't used a kickstand since I was a kid riding gas pipe bikes in the early 70's. I bought a bike with a Reynolds frame in 73, and that was the end of kickstands for me.
Old 02-19-17, 01:34 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Kickstands: Road bikes, no; commuter bike, no; utility/winter bike, yes; cruiser, yes.

13 years ago, I was very pro-kickstand. I was also riding a beat up mountain bike everywhere, mainly because I was in grad school and couldn't afford parking at my university, not because I actually enjoyed cycling.
Old 02-19-17, 05:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Yes, different styles on different bikes. Did not use one on my only fast bike (since departed) but do on all the others. I use traditional center-mounts on a couple, rear axle stands on a couple more, and an ESGE Twinn on a touring bike after discovering that front panniers in addition to rear panniers adversely affect the ability of the first two types of stands to reliably keep the bike upright. The Twinn works fine for that and it's more than twice the weight of a "normal" kickstand but its function proves its worth.

Back in my shop days when people asked about the weight of stuff like that I always told them, "It's not the additional weight, it's what that weight does for you." Don't like kickstands? Fine, don't use one. Don't like fenders and lights? Fine, don't use them. Don't want a rack or a pump or a seat bag on your bike? Same answer.

Incidentally, in every shop I ever worked in kickstands were a profit center and they were never given away, not "thrown in" on a sale. Bikes rarely included them unless it was a Varsity built-in type or a Fuji Cambridge rear axle type that was specifically designed for it.

Last edited by thumpism; 02-19-17 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 05:51 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I always used kickstand (they usually came with the bike), but the new bike didn't come with one. After buying and returning two kickstands that didn't fit and seeing that they are all heavy, I'm settled without one now. The next thing to consider is whether to have a rear rack.
Old 02-19-17, 06:36 PM
Roadwanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart

Its really a matter of perspective, to me a bicycle is transportation that can be used for recreation, to others a bicycle is sports equipment that can be used for transportation.
That's actually an interesting point, and I don't actually know where I'd fall on that spectrum. I'd guess somewhere right in the middle. I love riding my bike for fun, but I insist on fenders, chain guards, baskets/paniers/etc and other things to make it a useful vehicle. I use it as a car replacement whenever I can, but it's mainly because I just really like riding.
Old 02-19-17, 07:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I took the chainstay crusher off my heavy comfort hybrid errand bike. It never held right, was too heavy, just a slapped on generic thing not really designed for that bike. I'd like to have a good stand for it, especially when it's loaded down with groceries or whatever. But the original kickstand was useless.

But my pre-owned '92 Univega came with a well designed kickstand with a stamped metal clamp that attaches to both the chain stay and seat stay so it doesn't damage the frame. It's still not particularly stable but it doesn't weigh much and works well enough on an unladen bike.
Old 02-19-17, 08:39 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This is the only type I will ever use. My dutchbike has similar style stand without the spring.
That looks really interesting. I wonder if there are any aftermarket versions that can fit on more bikes?
Old 02-19-17, 10:05 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadwanderer
That's actually an interesting point, and I don't actually know where I'd fall on that spectrum. I'd guess somewhere right in the middle. I love riding my bike for fun, but I insist on fenders, chain guards, baskets/paniers/etc and other things to make it a useful vehicle. I use it as a car replacement whenever I can, but it's mainly because I just really like riding.
Yes, I too insist on having my bikes fully equipped, no stripped down racing bikes for me. But that doesn't mean I shun recreational riding, on the contrary I'm great at finding reasons to make unnecessary trips simply for the joy of riding.
Old 02-19-17, 11:56 PM
Roadwanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Yes, I too insist on having my bikes fully equipped, no stripped down racing bikes for me. But that doesn't mean I shun recreational riding, on the contrary I'm great at finding reasons to make unnecessary trips simply for the joy of riding.

Heh. Me too. In fact, I'll jump at a chance to go to the store if my wife has forgotten something. She lets me because it somehow takes me a comparable amount of time to her driving there herself.
Old 02-20-17, 01:22 AM
biggus duckus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pletscher double kickstand is rad and I will always promote it when I get a chance.
Old 02-20-17, 11:59 PM
RhythmRider

Bikes: '14 Giant Escape RX '08 GIANT Cypress

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this on my bike....although I rarely use it...but it's nice to have when you need it
Old 02-21-17, 02:17 PM
Billyensign

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Walmart Granite Peak, Custom Wile E Coyote Bike using a Panasonic frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Yes
1 No
Old 02-21-17, 05:00 PM
Pops1959

Bikes: Specialized Hybrid

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Always have used a kickstand, always will.
Old 02-21-17, 05:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yes , and No..

My Koga WTR, a world touring bike has 2, one under the left low rider rack

for holding the front wheel steady.

My Race bike has none, Different tools, horses for courses.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-26-19 at 12:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.