Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Rule of thumb for bar width; 390mm/15.4" risers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 08:33 AM
jonnycomelately

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone had any experience with these bars: https://www.bikepartsmart.com/singles...-4-silver.html

I've got chopped risers now, but the rise is too wide and high for me. All the bars I've seen at lbs are either like mine, or super low rise. These look kind of good... but they're super narrow. I'm a size medium shirt/about 38" chest. Think these would be too narrow? Anyone got a good rule of thumb for bar width?
Old 04-09-10, 08:51 AM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a tape measure and throw it over head. And then try measuring shoulder-to-shoulder length. You can do whatever, but you shouldn't go significantly shorter. But remember once the bar is too short, you can't make it longer. (dah, I know) So you will be taking risks buying a riser that is already shortened. Also, note most of MTB handle grips are 120/135mm and some of those won't fit curves of risers.

Personally, I would avoid that bar for another reason. The dealer is deceiving you by stating wrong MSRP and appear to offer you discount which doesn't exist. I think you can buy that for 10-20 bucks without discount of any sorts.
Old 04-09-10, 08:57 AM
cZa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a med shirt/38" chest myself I can add that the 340mm on the top of my bar is rather right to me.
<2cents>
Old 04-09-10, 09:26 AM
jonnycomelately

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cZa
Being a med shirt/38" chest myself I can add that the 340mm on the top of my bar is rather right to me.
<2cents>

What do you mean by "top"? Is that the total width (ie: end to end), or just the combined width of the two top horizontal halves?
Old 04-09-10, 09:31 AM
cZa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohh I have a dirt drop bar on my bike that would be the distance between the bends. It is where I stay around town on short rides. Just offering what I can I am a similar chest size and am very comfortable at that spacing.
Old 04-10-10, 11:01 AM
jonnycomelately

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right on. i think i'll hold off for now; love going to different shops anyway, think buying a pre-chopped bar sight-unseen is dicey, think Tomo is right about the "discount" sketchiness, annnnnd, there are far more important toys i want for my bike anyway (like some sidi shoes )