Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Car crashed into my Yuba - need to replace wheels

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 04-07-11, 08:38 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Most bikes probably would have been a totaled, but the Yuba`s frame, aside from some scratches appears to be OK. The wheels need to be replaced however - the rims were completely bent out of shape.

The driver`s insurance is going to pay for it so any suggestions on replacement wheels?
Old 04-07-11, 08:50 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, I'm sorry, I find it funny that the only things significantly damaged were the wheels. Was there any damage to the car?

Unless you specifically want something different or can't get them, I don't see an obvious reason to not get replacement wheels from Yuba. The rear wheel in particular, with the heavy-duty BMX hub and disc brake mount, is pretty unusual.

On the other hand, this is a great time to think about a dynamo hub, an IGH, or a NuVinci hub.
Old 04-08-11, 01:38 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If the car owner's insurance is paying for damages get a new bike. The hassle to get the frame checked and deal with any potential future problems is best avoided even for a stout bike like the Yuba. If both wheels are totaled the bike to a significant hit. If you are lucky they'll let you keep the old one and you can scavenge parts off it as needed.

In the car insurance world the cost of a new Yuba is like replacing a bumper and quarter pannel - ie. nothing.
Old 04-08-11, 04:17 PM
owenfinn

Originally Posted by Arcanum
Haha, I'm sorry, I find it funny that the only things significantly damaged were the wheels. Was there any damage to the car?
Yeah, there was a small dent to the front of her car. She picked the wrong bike to mess with.

Vik, you are probably right, there could be some minor bending or damage I didn`t notice + the mechanic at the shop I brought it to, tells me it will be 2 to 3 months before the bike is on the road! Not good as I need the bike for business.

I`ll talk to him again today and express my concerns. I guess he would have to say it is totalled for the insurance to approve covering cost of new bike.
Old 04-08-11, 04:40 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Just the time involved getting the parts ordered and the wheels built make it not worth it. I agree, get a whole new bike. You probably can be rolling again by the end of the weekend if you can get the insurance to pay up fast. Time to go to your dealer/LBS and pick out a new Yuba!

If the insurance gives you hassles about totaling it tell them you need a rental Yuba for a month. Get a quote on how much that will cost
Old 04-10-11, 02:25 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I don't know about Japan, but in the US, the injured party has a duty to mitigate his loses. So demanding a new bike when it merely needs paint and a wheelset might be unreasonable. On the other hand, your loses do include reasonable claims for loss of use (and other consequential damages, like lost wages, with lots of state specific variation.). So if you have to hire another bike or a taxi while it's broken, you might be able to ask for a new bike.

Do get a shop to look at it. It doesn't take much twisting to ruin a bike, and with a frame as long as the Yuba's, it might be invisible to the naked eye.
Old 04-10-11, 05:44 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
I guess he would have to say it is totalled for the insurance to approve covering cost of new bike.
If he doesn't another LBS will be happy to - especially when you buy the new Yuba from them!
Old 04-10-11, 05:45 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I don't know about Japan, but in the US, the injured party has a duty to mitigate his loses. So demanding a new bike when it merely needs paint and a wheelset might be unreasonable.
Car insurance companies are not going to fight a small claim for a bicycle. The cost of the accident could be millions if their driver had crippled the OP and at least hundreds of thousands if he had hurt someone in another car. The cost of a Yuba will not be on their radar.
Old 04-11-11, 01:05 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Car insurance companies are not going to fight a small claim for a bicycle. The cost of the accident could be millions if their driver had crippled the OP and at least hundreds of thousands if he had hurt someone in another car. The cost of a Yuba will not be on their radar.
So committing fraud is okay if you don't get caught? Probably should watch out where you advocate for others to commit felonies.
Old 04-11-11, 02:09 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

So committing fraud is okay if you don't get caught? Probably should watch out where you advocate for others to commit felonies.
Fraud? Felony?

It's called being MADE WHOLE in a timely fashion.

The auto driver damaged your property and you deserve to have it repaired and put back into the condition and VALUE it was before they damaged it. Bicycles, even tough Yubas, are fragile machines. They bend really easily and it is often hard to detect very slight frame damage that will effect the handling, or cause a stress fracture down the road.

The offending at-fault driver or their agent acting to insure them can either replace the bicycle in whole or they can fix it RIGHT including all damaged or iffy parts and have it inspected by a professional who knows what they are doing and won't leave you with a wounded beast that has been devalued and may even be unsafe or have a shortened lifespan due to the actions of the driver who was at fault in this action.

The rider should ALSO get fully checked out by a physician to be sure there has been no injury that might not be readily apparent that was caused by the offending driver and that checkup should also be paid for by the offending driver or their agent. When someone damages property and/or causes injury they have the responsibility to make it right and in whole.

Bringing up insurance fraud and felony theft is out of line when we are talking about someone who has been damaged here. This bike could be seriously damaged in hard to determine ways. Just letting them get away with fixing a couple of wheels is a mistake -especially if it will take a work vehicle out of action for weeks if not months. No, it their responsibility to FIX it and make the victim whole.
Old 04-11-11, 02:40 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
photos?
Old 04-12-11, 04:31 AM
owenfinn

I should have taken photos but didn`t - I really was`t thinking clearly after the accident and walking/carrying the wounded Yuba about a mile to a bike shop.

The mechanic, who I trust, assures me that the frame is fine and they might be able to have the wheels (Salsa Gordos, I think) set up and on the bike by the end of May. I`ve decided not to push for an immediate replacement since my bike rental and tour business has been about as dead as can be since the earthquake/nuke plant problem, plus after almost five years of living here I`ve learned that it`s best not to push things too far. It`s very different from my old hometown NYC where I would have had to aggressively pursue every little thing or threaten legal action.

If, after the wheels are on the bike, the ride is in anyway worse than what I have been used to, I will ask the driver for a new bike and I think I won`t have a problem getting one.
Old 04-12-11, 08:11 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Get off your high horse - you might fall and hurt yourself!... Nobody is looking at or caring about the bike in this accident. It doesn't sound like anyone has done anything other than glance at the frame to check to see if it's bent. That's not something you can do with the naked eye. Since both wheels were destroyed and the blow had to be transmitted through the frame there is a reasonable likelihood the frame is damaged. Now if this was a $100K car we'd be getting experts in to determine what could be salvaged and what is not worth it, but since it is an inexpensive bike [compared to a car's value] the fact it was in an accident at all essentially renders it a write off since the costs to replace are so low. Now factor in the OP's time and hassle. He should get a new bike and the insurance company is getting off lightly.

Besides the insurance company has folks whose only jobs are to evaluate and validate claims. If they have any concern whatsoever about the OP's claim they can inspect the bike themselves. They are not some helpless victim in this that needs protection.

When in doubt I'll always err on the side of making sure damage done by someone else's negligence is fully resolved and I can assure you the OP would rather not have been hit by a car and riding his old Yuba than getting a new one.
Old 04-17-11, 02:44 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Totally in agreement, it would also be very simple to say to the insurance, "it's going to take weeks to fix, so you're on the hook for lost income, OR, you can cough up another $300 - $400 for a new bike and we all get on with life. "
Old 04-17-11, 03:00 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh? Are you for real?!?

And how do you know that frame isn't indeed compromised? I'd demand a new bike too, since the integrity of the frame can't be easily checked.

Originally Posted by vik
Get off your high horse - you might fall and hurt yourself!... Nobody is looking at or caring about the bike in this accident. It doesn't sound like anyone has done anything other than glance at the frame to check to see if it's bent. That's not something you can do with the naked eye. Since both wheels were destroyed and the blow had to be transmitted through the frame there is a reasonable likelihood the frame is damaged. Now if this was a $100K car we'd be getting experts in to determine what could be salvaged and what is not worth it, but since it is an inexpensive bike [compared to a car's value] the fact it was in an accident at all essentially renders it a write off since the costs to replace are so low. Now factor in the OP's time and hassle. He should get a new bike and the insurance company is getting off lightly.

Besides the insurance company has folks whose only jobs are to evaluate and validate claims. If they have any concern whatsoever about the OP's claim they can inspect the bike themselves. They are not some helpless victim in this that needs protection.

When in doubt I'll always err on the side of making sure damage done by someone else's negligence is fully resolved and I can assure you the OP would rather not have been hit by a car and riding his old Yuba than getting a new one.
What Vik said. The insurance company will be happy the OP is not asking for health and lost time/income damages and $1,200 for a new bike is pocket change for them, while for OP it's not.

Last edited by AdamDZ; 04-17-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 03:37 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
And how do you know that frame isn't indeed compromised? I'd demand a new bike too, since the integrity of the frame can't be easily checked.
Agreed. When I was hit by a car, only one wheel was damaged--the front. At the LBS they were able to determine that the steel fork was also twisted by 2°. I couldn't see it--it looked perfectly fine to me--until they put it on the frame table and measured. Sure enough, it was twisted.

That's why I side with those who say get a new frame. There may be damage that the unaided eye cannot see--even to a stout steel bike.
Old 04-17-11, 03:57 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't see how a insurance company would not replace it if you wanted it. what happened could be considered attempted vehicular manslaughter.
Old 04-17-11, 07:48 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
what happened could be considered attempted vehicular manslaughter.
I don't think there is such a thing as "attempted manslaughter" -- manslaughter isn't something one attempts. It happens, but not intentionally -- if it's intentional, it's murder (attempted murder, if it doesn't succeed.)

And really, calling what seems to be a "run of the mill collision" where he wasn't even hurt (I guess) "attempted manslaughter" is stupid.

Last edited by dougmc; 04-17-11 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 08:01 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Though my question is this -- why does the mechanic need six weeks to repair it? Just have the replacement wheels overnighted, and if there is no other damage it should be repaired within a few days.

But if it really does need six weeks to be repaired, the insurance company should be willing to pay for a rental during that period. And not just any bike, but a comparable cargo bike. The rent on such a bike for that period is likely more than the cost of the bike -- so you could just offer to get a new bike and it'll be cheaper for them.
Old 04-18-11, 09:20 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
Though my question is this -- why does the mechanic need six weeks to repair it? Just have the replacement wheels overnighted, and if there is no other damage it should be repaired within a few days.

But if it really does need six weeks to be repaired, the insurance company should be willing to pay for a rental during that period. And not just any bike, but a comparable cargo bike. The rent on such a bike for that period is likely more than the cost of the bike -- so you could just offer to get a new bike and it'll be cheaper for them.
+1 - it's the insurance company's job to do as little for you as possible so you have to be aggressive with them and don't sign a release waiver until you are 100% satisfied with the result. They want that waiver signed as soon as possible so they don't have to ever do anything more for you.
Old 05-10-11, 12:47 AM
owenfinn

Got the bike back today with new wheels (Salsa Gordos) and new cranks (Shimano).

Only had a chance to ride it briefly, but enough to realize that there is a problem.

The bike now has a tendency to veer to the left. (from minor bending in frame? fork?headset?) I used to be able to ride the bike with no hands but it`s impossible now. Should have taken all the advice and demanded a new bike from the start. PITA.
Old 05-10-11, 05:51 AM
owenfinn

Looking down at the fork I can see that it is bent. Maybe only 2 or 3 mm but definitely bent. In the photo you can maybe see how the right side is a bit higher than the left.

The fork where it was hit. The car`s paint is still on it.

Old 05-10-11, 06:11 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

It is too bad you didn't get a new bike and be made right. You need a professional frame straightener to look at it. It might not ever ride straight again if it isn't.
Old 05-10-11, 06:33 AM
owenfinn

Originally Posted by Amesja
It is too bad you didn't get a new bike and be made right. You need a professional frame straightener to look at it. It might not ever ride straight again if it isn't.
Lesson learned the hard way.

Now, I want the shop to say what they should have said from the beginning "upon further review" there appears to be irreparable damage to the frame. The insurance company has already forked over about $600.
Old 05-10-11, 08:55 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
Lesson learned the hard way.

Now, I want the shop to say what they should have said from the beginning "upon further review" there appears to be irreparable damage to the frame. The insurance company has already forked over about $600.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it sorted. You didn't sign any sort of release of claim waiver yet did you?

If in doubt always get a new bike after someone hits you. Most people including LBS can't accurately assess the damage to a bike hit by a car. A professional frame builder could, but by the time you get one involved to assess a production bike you might as well just buy a new bike and save the $$$.

Last edited by vik; 05-10-11 at 08:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.