Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

A Trike for a 30 mile a day commute

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 09:37 AM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have been reading posts about trikes, alaying my concerns about high speed cornering, weight, design in general, and a couple of models catch my eye. Would be interested in hearing from owners. The Catrike 700 and LoGo Rapide. I am mid fifties and in reasonable condition, with a trashed lower back.

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-01-11, 05:42 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 379 Posts
If you can wait a bit, come to the Human Power Challenge in a couple weeks: https://www.ohpv.org/HPC/index.html . There's usually a few trikes around- you can look them over, ask questions, generally get answers for your questions and help generate more questions.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-01-11, 11:16 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for that information Jeff. I am planning on being at this event. Very excited to see it and the bent technology. Maybe I will see you there.

Mike
Milton-Freewater, OR
Old 05-02-11, 03:01 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a couple of issues high-speed cornering, but nothing dramatic. Just learning when making a sharp turn (at probably a higher speed than I would attempt a 2-wheeler at) it is necessary to lean in to it. I've come up on 2 wheels several times. Use some common sense and it won't really matter though.
Old 05-02-11, 03:57 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Catrike 700 is ridiculous fast. It's light, compact and handles very nicely. I can't comment on the other one, but I think I've test ridden everything Big Cat has to offer.
Old 05-02-11, 05:57 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on my Catrike Trail ~40 miles to college 4 days a week. Many times I like to push it, especially while cornering. I've lifted a wheel a few times because I forgot to lean into the turn. When it did happen, the wheel barely came off and I was easily able to control it. The trike started at 31 lbs, but after everything I added to it, it's probably over 40 lbs now.
Old 05-02-11, 06:57 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks Charly,Sayre, and Chalupa,

That is helpful input. Hoping to test drive a 700 this week.
Old 05-06-11, 11:46 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
One of the bikes I use for a 44 mi RT commute is a tadpole (Catrike Road). The biggest issue I encounter is that trikes take so much space that unless you have a wide shoulder to ride on if there is a significant speed disparity between you and the cars, it can get dicey. Also, with three wheel tracks to hit debris rather than one, you can get destabilized if the roads aren't somewhat clean. Generally speaking, I like to ride my trike mostly around town and take something with two wheels if there is any distance involved.
Old 05-07-11, 01:05 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Random comments:
.....I would ask why a trike? Despite how sleek trikes look, I'd expect that most everyone would agree that bicycles are generally considerably lighter-weight and faster. There are some like the Tour Easy/Cycle Genius ones that are LWB with upright seating and fairly-low pedals that are easy to balance on. ....Also many trikes have a fixed seat angle; it might be helpful to have a seat that you can change the backrest angle at least somewhat and most touring-style LWB's let you do that.

Also (no matter what you buy) I would suggest an electric motor assist setup. Not because you're old and frail, just because it's really nice to ride in to your destination with minimal effort and arrive with the least amount of sweating. You can charge the battery at work and then ride home using as much or as little assist/sweating as you want.
Old 05-11-11, 12:35 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Also (no matter what you buy) I would suggest an electric motor assist setup. Not because you're old and frail, just because it's really nice to ride in to your destination with minimal effort and arrive with the least amount of sweating.
Eff that. If you need the assist, get it. But if you don't, why cheat yourself of better fitness and speed?
Old 05-12-11, 03:02 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Eff that. If you need the assist, get it. But if you don't, why cheat yourself of better fitness and speed?
Well, plenty of long-distance runners would say that you don't really need a bicycle. Does their opinion of how you spend your money matter to you or not?
Old 05-12-11, 03:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or, Velomobiles , adds an aero streamlined body to the tadpole layout,
30 miles of open road will go by pretty quickly.
Old 05-12-11, 10:37 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I personally liked the fact that you could achieve a lower center of gravity (along with a lower profile and possibly wind resistance) on a trike vs a recumbent bike, without the wheels being really far apart (in length). On the other hand, after having looked at a cheap one the chain route is so circuitous and full of excess friction, it scares me. I missed out on riding a Catrike 700 on Monday due to avioding a Seattle traffic jam. Hope to see a bunch of them on Memorial Day weekend in Portland. By the way, right-on Fred!
Old 05-13-11, 09:20 AM
chvid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better fitness and speed? Uhh No. Fitness yes, speed no. I'm able to cruise nicely at over 30 mph on my highest chainring on my e-trike. Put a fairing on it and I'm good for 35mph. E-trikes are way faster than unmotorized bikes. So I'm good for ninety miles just to pick up a few organic eggs. Which would'nt be enough to feed me if I biked the distance.
Old 05-23-11, 08:40 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chvid
Better fitness and speed? Uhh No. Fitness yes, speed no. I'm able to cruise nicely at over 30 mph on my highest chainring on my e-trike. Put a fairing on it and I'm good for 35mph. E-trikes are way faster than unmotorized bikes. So I'm good for ninety miles just to pick up a few organic eggs. Which would'nt be enough to feed me if I biked the distance.
So wrong on so many levels and in so many ways!
You would forgo all exercise and use electric power (coal or gas generated and not exactly free nor green) to go buy "organic eggs" ! Whatever those might be! LOL !!!
Old 05-24-11, 03:14 PM
dzrtcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexZ
So wrong on so many levels and in so many ways!
You would forgo all exercise and use electric power (coal or gas generated and not exactly free nor green) to go buy "organic eggs" ! Whatever those might be! LOL !!!
+1 I still don't see the purpose of electric assist...you ride for fitness and for the pure human powered aspect....now, if chvid is physically challenged, then of course an e-bike. But, for the physically able types that want something to help them pedal the bike instead of building their fitness level - those people I have no time for whatsoever
Old 05-24-11, 08:08 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy electric biking and believe it to be a great sport for some. This poster is not being real. 90 miles at 30 mph would take well over 90 amps worth of batteries. At that speed possibly 180 amps. That is a lot of battery weight and expense.
Old 05-24-11, 08:19 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 15rms
I enjoy electric biking and believe it to be a great sport for some. This poster is not being real. 90 miles at 30 mph would take well over 90 amps worth of batteries. At that speed possibly 180 amps. That is a lot of battery weight and expense.
Electric biking a sport? So is TV watching and couch-warming !
Old 05-24-11, 09:18 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't fix stupid.
Old 05-30-11, 11:44 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have really enjoyed everyones posting. Very knowledgable people and opinionated. I like that. Thanks and safe riding to you all, motors and all.

Gyro T Gearloose
Old 05-31-11, 03:06 PM
chvid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wrong. I have two batteries 48 volts 16 Ahr. That's 1400 watt hours of energy averaging 13 watt hours per mile in full hybrid mode, me pedalling all the time. I'm easily good for ninety miles "just for fun". And I get tons of exercise, ride way more than I would otherwise. Plus I love passing all the lycras with my Coltane blaring....I'm afraid the poster has a very weak grasp of physics. Amps is a measure of current, not energy (supplied by BC Hydro btw not by the oil-powered nitrogen fertilizer in the posters corn chips), and varies continuously throughout the ride, as does watts (power) which is correlated with amps at any particular voltage. Amp hours is closer to a measure of battery capacity, but that capacity will depend on the voltage of the pack. Watt hours (energy) is the true measure of battery capacity. I just go faster than a lycra, have just as much if not more fun on my trike, and pedal just as much. On the downside, As an ex lycra, I guess I'm not as immaculate as the lycras at my age with my physical issues, but perhaps I could be re-educated if I was sent to the camps. Of course, like all of the lycras, I strictly observe the 20mph limit on bike paths, and slow down for other MUP users and act courteously, respecting their rides.

Enjoy your ride!

Last edited by chvid; 05-31-11 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-31-11, 08:30 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chvid
.......yada, yada,.......... As an ex lycra, I guess I'm not as immaculate as the lycras at my age with my physical issues, but perhaps I could be re-educated if I was sent to the camps. Of course, like all of the lycras, I strictly observe the 20mph limit on bike paths, and slow down for other MUP users and act courteously, respecting their rides.

Enjoy your ride!
So......camps, you say....nice, very nice....
In California at least, you would be breaking the law on the MUP with an engine, even an electrical one. The law sais : NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES ....period! Breaking the law can't be considered courteous.
Old 05-31-11, 10:31 PM
chvid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It must be excellent for you to live in the "land of liberty" where someone has to tell you what you should enjoy legally riding. At least in British Columbia, ebikes are fully legal on MUPs. With a speed limit of 20mph. A 250lb lycra doing 25mph on a MUP isn't very courteous either. I see them every day. What's the point of legislating all this if it simply up to a judge to determine that the rider wasn't riding in a safe and respectful manner. Its just common sense.

By the way, you are incorrect. Where did you get your information? This from the California Dept of Highways.
V C Section 21209 Motor Vehicles and Motorized Bicycles in Bicycle Lanes

Motor Vehicles and Motorized Bicycles in Bicycle Lanes

21209. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle in a bicycle lane established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207 except as follows:
(1) To park where parking is permitted.
(2) To enter or leave the roadway.
(3) To prepare for a turn within a distance of 200 feet from the intersection.
(b) This section does not prohibit the use of a motorized bicycle in a bicycle lane, pursuant to Section 21207.5, at a speed no greater than is reasonable or prudent, having due regard for visibility, traffic conditions, and the condition of the roadway surface of the bicycle lane, and in a manner which does not endanger the safety of bicyclists.

Amended Ch. 262, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.

This is an excellent piece of legislation, leaving it to the discretion of the judge and the rider.

I suppose a trike isn't a bike either though, no doubt the Handicapper General will report me.

Last edited by chvid; 05-31-11 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 01:58 AM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An MUP is not a bicycle lane. And the prohibition is clearly posted. You would be better off riding than researching laws which don't apply to you and which you don't understand anyway....
Old 06-01-11, 06:54 AM
chvid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your Federal legislation states:

"a low speed electric bicycle (as defined in section 38(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act) shall not be considered a motor vehicle as defined by section 30102(6) of title 49, United States Code."
"This section shall supercede any State law or requirement with respect to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such State law or requirement is more stringent than the Federal law or requirements referred to in subsection (a)."

Many states are not in harmony with federal law classifying ebikes as a bicycle.

So why are you considering it a motor vehicle....I don't have all this disdain for YOUR ride.

Last edited by chvid; 06-01-11 at 06:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.