Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crankset compact or standard & power meter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 05:51 PM
ztruk_002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I'm thinking about buying a new crankset and wondering which size. I've always used a standard 53/39 but heard that actually most better good riders use a compact 50/34. There's all this stuff about being a sissy or whatever but that's just a bunch of BS not fact reasoning. Anyway, I'd rather go faster both on hills and flat so what's the reasoning other then spinning? or is this just better usually for better riders since they have good cardio? Also, I have a 172.5 length which fits pretty well, so if you go to the compact does it have anything to do with the length or should you just get the same length? Another question is about power meters, I've been looking into Stages Cycling and they seem to be getting pretty good reviews and a far less expensive then most but are still good and accurate. Does the cranksets size have anything to do with the watts that you should be getting or can do? I'm pretty new to this and usually just ride but it's always nice to get a little faster and have measurable result. Any advice on subjects would be helpful power meters are pricey and want something that's going to last have the right fit. Thanks.
Old 10-11-13, 06:27 PM
prana800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to go with yes.
Old 10-11-13, 06:29 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Which question can we answer first?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.