Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Great video on Ansterdam

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Great video on Ansterdam

Old 10-27-13, 08:16 AM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great video on Amsterdam

This should be the traffic vision of every major urban area in this country!. My favorite quote was "You are much more closer to humanity when you are on your bike." This is so true! What eles is true that if it were not for all the cars in my way when I am riding through downtown Seattle I would get around faster. It is an urban myth that you can get around faster in a car. I have been living car free since 2004 and it has not stopped me from enjoying my life. I should move to Amsterdam!

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/shor...ind-video.html
Old 10-27-13, 08:29 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
The one thing favoring bicycling in the Netherlands, is that just about every city has an elevation of 60 ft, or less, above sea level . Compared to my locale in the US, I can easily exceed a 60 ft elevation climb in a distance of one or two city blocks at a considerable number of locations.
Old 10-27-13, 10:40 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no way the auto makers will allow for that type of infrastructure to be built in the US.
Old 10-27-13, 10:54 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimi77
There is no way the auto makers will allow for that type of infrastructure to be built in the US.

Not if they can help it, they have to make more or maintain the room for "Zoom Zoom" creations or way overpowered "rockets" like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6Nfjmic_4
Old 10-27-13, 12:21 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
My favorite is in the second video linked in the OP "Cats watching bicycles"
Old 10-27-13, 12:56 PM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ngateguy
This should be the traffic vision of every major urban area in this country!.
I sincerely hope not. Amsterdam is really awful. Any Dutch city has a better cycling infrastructure.

Watch this movie about Groningen. Or this one, from the same maker, about Assen en Groningen.
Old 10-27-13, 02:04 PM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Not if they can help it, they have to make more or maintain the room for "Zoom Zoom" creations or way overpowered "rockets" like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6Nfjmic_4
It's amazing the horsepower they jam into cars nowadays. Camry's and Accords come with 270hp motors. I remember in HS, if you had that type of power, then you bleeping hot rod; now 270hp is your family sedan.
Old 10-27-13, 03:15 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Non-hilly only in Holland/CPH ??? Pffft Florida has an elev of 20 feet and warmer weather. It's a cyclist killing field, I haven't been there.
In 2003 I drove and biked the 7 biggest cities in Texas, not Austin. I found ONE 10%? hill in San Antonio. Temps in high 80s, near ZERO other bikes. Portland city is basically flat also, didn't ride there yet. Salt Lake has 1 long slope and a few short hills at the top. Pheonix has a mountain beside the pancake city. The hills in San Diego were some stress. Sacramento, Boise, Eugene, Idaho/Twinn Falls, Salem, a lot of LA, Linclon, OK City, Rochester etc .... WHERE ARE THESE imaginary HILLS that my IGH SA 5w can't climb ********** Even a 3 spd would mostly do.

Only steep hills I found were in Beverly Hills, Seattle, British Columbia and SF.

Just face the facts, Americans are fat LAZY bike/ exercise denyers. City designers haven't given a damn about adult bicycles. Even in Edm the big box store areas have near zero bike lockups, poles or anything. The racks are almost all useless bmx kid bike size. 90%+ need a 30 speed derailler bike like a hole in the head. 99.9% of the people who think SA hubs are slow never tried them.

Snow on any hills is certainly no picnic.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-27-13 at 05:01 PM.