Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Has it just become more of a hazard to ride a bike in Colo

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Has it just become more of a hazard to ride a bike in Colo

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 07:56 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I say this I want to clearly state that I am not a pot head and I think that particular drug causes some kind of cumulative brain damage that makes people dumber then they already are (I'm fairly cynical about human intelligence anyway). I do have an occasional alcoholic drink, never before or during the operation of an automobile, limit of only one drink for a pedal bicycle and not during or immediately before riding (Yes, I will admit riding home on my bike after having a single hard lemonade with me meal when I eat out at a particular Asian restaurant that serves it and it goes so well with spicy curry dishes).

How about we quite trying to isolate only specific slices of acts of negligence in the operation of potential dangerous machines in public around other innocent people and just attack that whole category for what it is instead of nit-picking at it? I mean seriously what does it matter how exactly you are being criminally negligent when you run someone down with a mutli-ton high speed bullet on wheels? Shouldn't we just address the act and the carnage it causes directly instead of nit-picking on exactly all the different ways people choose to be selfishly negligent and irresponsible with dangerous machines in public around other innocent people that result in death, injury, or destruction of property? Who really cares whether you were drunk, stoned, text-ing, making out, or just plain old not paying attention behind the wheel or the handlebars that results in you killing an innocent person due to your negligence in your duty to safely operate a dangerous machine around other innocent people.

We need to quit caring as to how exactly you went about committing the dastardly deed and address what you did. Lets cut out all the noise and all the excuses and just get down to business and apply some very basic simple (unfortunately not so common) sense.
Old 02-09-14, 09:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Not one response to my comment that drinking alcohol often occurs in bars and requires later transportation, where as MJ use often occurs at home and requires no transportation...
Old 02-09-14, 09:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Not one response to my comment that drinking alcohol often occurs in bars and requires later transportation, where as MJ use often occurs at home and requires no transportation...
I did most of my drinking while living in downtown NYC. One beauty of that NYC lifestyle is that we have 24hr mass transit, and plenty of cabs, so there's never a need to drive drunk.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-09-14, 09:59 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Too bad that the nut job legislators have turned all the people in Colo into lab rats. I feel sorry for the sane people in the state that will end up having loved ones killed by the dopers.
I believe it was actually a majority of the voters in Colorado who did it.
Old 02-09-14, 10:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Don't confuse the issue with facts.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-09-14, 11:23 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Details, details. At least he did not blame it on 'the bureaucrats' as is his usual habit.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 02-10-14, 07:29 AM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I say this I want to clearly state that I am not a pot head and I think that particular drug causes some kind of cumulative brain damage that makes people dumber then they already are.

If the country didn't have stupid people our "market driven economy" would completely collapse.

You must embrace the stoopid, the ignorant.. the fools. You must cherish them.

To be free is to have the freedom to be as stupid as you can possibly be.. and then be proud of it while looking down and laughing at the highly intelligent foolish types.

Everyone must embrace their "inner idiot".
Old 02-10-14, 08:07 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I did most of my drinking while living in downtown NYC. One beauty of that NYC lifestyle is that we have 24hr mass transit, and plenty of cabs, so there's never a need to drive drunk.
But indeed you did need transit when drinking... hence my point.
Old 02-10-14, 10:30 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I'm really hoping that a side effect of legal weed in WA and CO may be that those states revise the rights of drivers in DUI cases--it's long overdue to separate motor vehicle operators from protections of the US Constitution. The word "automobile" appears nowhere in the bill of rights; if people want their civil rights they don't have to drive. Police should be allowed to use impaired drivers as an outlet for any physically abusive instincts they might posses.
Old 02-10-14, 10:31 AM
Feldman

Originally Posted by genec
Good point--and a reason that auto theft and vandalism ought to be legal within the confines of bar and tavern parking lots.
Old 02-10-14, 10:35 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Feldman
I'm really hoping that a side effect of legal weed in WA and CO may be that those states revise the rights of drivers in DUI cases--it's long overdue to separate motor vehicle operators from protections of the US Constitution. The word "automobile" appears nowhere in the bill of rights; if people want their civil rights they don't have to drive. Police should be allowed to use impaired drivers as an outlet for any physically abusive instincts they might posses.
Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. You're "people don't have to drive" rational for suspending the constitution can be applied to anything. Let's keep trying to find a proper balance between the private and public interests. Not saying it's easy, but the minute we give up, we might as well just tear up the constitution, and employ enough police to maintain the kind of order that people seem to want.

Old 02-10-14, 12:01 PM
Feldman

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. You're "people don't have to drive" rational for suspending the constitution can be applied to anything. Let's keep trying to find a proper balance between the private and public interests. Not saying it's easy, but the minute we give up, we might as well just tear up the constitution, and employ enough police to maintain the kind of order that people seem to want.
Naahh; intoxicated drivers aren't people--why treat them like they are?
Old 02-10-14, 12:10 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Feldman
Naahh; intoxicated drivers aren't people--why treat them like they are?
For the simple reason that the same sentiment may be expressed about any group, or conduct we don't like. We protect the rights of those we abhor to ensure that ours are likewise protected.

Old 02-10-14, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Do really want to raise your blood pressure by responding to rants from electronic know-nothings, logically challenged, and/or lunatics?
Old 02-10-14, 12:20 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Do really want to raise your blood pressure by responding to rants from electronic know-nothings, logically challenged, and/or lunatics?
Not really, but this one didn't raise my blood pressure. In any case, sometimes the only way to avoid blood pressure spikes is to stay off the A&S forum and leave it to the crazies. This is nothing compared to the heckling I'm getting here from a water sports enthusiast in a neighboring state.

Old 02-10-14, 09:09 PM
TheBoiler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Colorado

I do not smoke but I do like the odd beer.

From my observation if you are under 21 MJ is easier to get than beer.

The question supposes there will be a massive increase in users, I have not spoken to anybody who has started because it is legal. I have heard that the legal price is 3x the street price, the supposition is that the legal shops will eventually once the initial interest has died down only be interest to Tourists.

It is a non issue, nothing changed much. The only ones interested were the Feds and now even they have backed out.
Old 02-10-14, 09:36 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Point I was trying to make in my post at the top of the page (and maybe I should have stated it outright at that time) is that some people may actually drive more safely when on pot. Supposedly, for the majority of users its supposed to mellow you out and "slow you down". For some of the drivers I've seen that might actually be a good thing.

An angry vicious speed demon crazy person trying to deliberately run you off the road for daring to actually use the road as another legal but slower road user vs. the same person mellowed out on pot that is content to just drive along slowly behind you until they can pass. Which would you prefer?

Yes, for some other people it might effect them differently, might make some violent and make others not care or even know what they are doing and just run you down. I realize all of that.

My point is, beyond whether they are driving responsibly and safely or not, does the rest really matter? If they have to be drugged out to drive safely then I would prefer them drugged out, if they have to be cold sober and clean as a whistle to drive safely then I would prefer them that way. That's what I care about as a more vulnerable user of the public roadways.
Old 02-11-14, 06:57 AM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you roll up a doobie, puff a fattie or hit the bongie then Reverend Adrianfly strongly encourages you to do it in the privacy of your own home and stay in there until you are sober once again.

No cycling, operation of machinery nor motor vehicles on public roadways. Not cool man.

Devices that measure levels of THC intoxification are in development.
Old 02-11-14, 07:35 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBoiler
I live in Colorado

I do not smoke but I do like the odd beer.

From my observation if you are under 21 MJ is easier to get than beer.

The question supposes there will be a massive increase in users, I have not spoken to anybody who has started because it is legal. I have heard that the legal price is 3x the street price, the supposition is that the legal shops will eventually once the initial interest has died down only be interest to Tourists.

It is a non issue, nothing changed much. The only ones interested were the Feds and now even they have backed out.
When I was younger, smoking weed was a pretty social thing. You did it with friends. Considering that most of my friends did it, It's not surprising that I assumed "everyone did it". This is why it surprised me when the Reagan years rolled around that so many of my contemporaries turned hard to the right and got all on beard with the "War on Drugs".

I no longer smoke the stuff, and neither do most of the people I knew way back when who did. This should expose the myth that many subscribe to that it is addictive. The bottom line is that if they legalized it here in CA, myself, and some of my former stoner buddies may occasionally indulge. There will probably be an increase in others who never tried it who will, but I seriously doubt that pot use will skyrocket.
Old 02-11-14, 12:28 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
An old joke goes that "a drunk will blow through a stop sign, a stoner will sit and wait for it to turn green..."
Old 02-11-14, 02:52 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Since pot is now legal in Colo has it become more hazardous to ride a bike in Colo? They already have drunk drivers, and fools using cell phones while driving, now they will have pot impared drivers. IMO this is a huge safety issue.

Comments?
Because, after all, we know NO ONE ever drove stoned before the new law, right? Obviously, since pot is now legal, the very first thing thousands of people will do is smoke a joint and drive. Clear as mud.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-11-14, 03:46 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
An old joke goes that "a drunk will blow through a stop sign, a stoner will sit and wait for it to turn green..."
That is exactly what I was referring too. I'm not for anything that messes you up in the head, but if you must get messed up in the head better that direction then the other direction.
Old 02-11-14, 04:04 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
And the up side of getting drunk or stoned out of your mind is???
Old 02-11-14, 04:48 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
And the up side of getting drunk or stoned out of your mind is???
Understand that this is nothing against you personally, but inebriation does act somewhat as a filter from people who feel the need to ask such questions in a judgmental manner. A self perpetuating situation, its true.

Some people don't care as much for how they perceive reality as you must. And no amount of head shaking holier than thou-ness will change that as its been true for a long time, and will no doubt be true far into the future.

personally I would rather have a stoned driver behind me than a drunk one, or one that was tweaking, or going on the nod, or with a nose full of coke, pipe full of meth, on LSD or shrooms, bath salts, Oxy, or Percocet. And guess what dude, All of them are out on the road, and most of them are on the phone, lighting a cigarette, programing a gps, messin with their stereo.

Making pot legal won't make a dint in those statistics.

The most dangerous scenario with a stoned driver behind you is if they have a bag of Funyuns and a big gulp in their lap, with a mad case of the munchies and cotton mouth. That would make the act of driving the actual distraction.
Old 02-11-14, 05:16 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not want to burst your bubble, but there are stoned bikers in every state. Whether it is legal or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.