Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Shaking my head...Costco wades into mandatory bicycle registration debate

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Shaking my head...Costco wades into mandatory bicycle registration debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 06:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Aqua_Andy
In the state of NH and neighboring states OHRV registrations are not reciprocal.
OHRV registrations are like boat registration and fishing/hunting licenses. They are all use fees related to recreation on state land. They are not transportation fees.

Can you imagine having to register your bike in every town or city you ride in?
??? No one is proposing that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-03-15 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 04:57 PM
Aqua_Andy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
OHRV registrations are like boat registration and fishing/hunting licenses. They are all use fees related to recreation on state land. They are not transportation fees.

Fees are fees, period. Automotive registration fees are fees to use the roads and help pay for law enforcement and infrastructure. OHRV registrations are fees to use state trails, maintenance on the trails and for law enforcement. Hunting and fishing licences are fees to use state land and to support law enforcement. Regardless, they are all taxes we have to pay to use state land and other resources.

??? No one is proposing that.

No, not directly but have the law makers thought about this? Are you sure that if you are from one city and travel to another city that requires registration you will not be required to register your bike in that city?
The fact is no one knows what will happen until it happens. Once law makers find a new source of revenue it does not take long for other municipalities to want a piece of the pie.
Old 09-03-15, 09:13 PM
njkayaker

Fees are fees, period. Automotive registration fees are fees to use the roads and help pay for law enforcement and infrastructure. OHRV registrations are fees to use state trails, maintenance on the trails and for law enforcement. Hunting and fishing licences are fees to use state land and to support law enforcement. Regardless, they are all taxes we have to pay to use state land and other resources.
??? So? Who should pay for these things?

No, not directly but have the law makers thought about this? Are you sure that if you are from one city and travel to another city that requires registration you will not be required to register your bike in that city?
Since what you are speculating is silly, it seems highly unlikely.

There is an obvious precedence too (how motor vehicle registrations work in each of the 50 states).

The fact is no one knows what will happen until it happens. Once law makers find a new source of revenue it does not take long for other municipalities to want a piece of the pie.
Your speculation of what might happen is wacky.

Bizarre.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-03-15 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 12:31 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
??? So? Who should pay for these things?

Since what you are speculating is silly, it seems highly unlikely.

There is an obvious precedence too (how motor vehicle registrations work in each of the 50 states).

Your speculation of what might happen is wacky.

Bizarre.
Aqua Andy makes sense to me.
Old 09-04-15, 12:44 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by asmac
Aqua Andy makes sense to me.
That he makes sense to you could mean both of you aren't making sense.

You really think it's likely that you'd be required to register your bike in every town you ride through? Really?

Bizarre.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-04-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 02:58 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the 60's when I was a kid we had to register our bikes, it was not uncommon for cities to require it. The reason most cities dropped the program is that it cost more to run the program than they could reasonably charge for registration.
Old 09-04-15, 06:56 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That he makes sense to you could mean both of you aren't making sense.

You really think it's likely that you'd be required to register your bike in every town you ride through? Really?

Bizarre.
No but if registration was to work it would have to be in every town/city or state/province wide with national and even international standards, just like it is for cars.

That's one reason it won't work and is a hare-brained idea.
Old 09-05-15, 06:54 AM
njkayaker

No but if registration was to work it would have to be in every town/city or state/province wide with national and even international standards, just like it is for cars.

That's one reason it won't work and is a hare-brained idea.
You aren't being clear. Cars are registered once and that one registration applies to all jurisdictions.

There were (are?) bicycle registrations done by individual towns but those were sold (always?) as anti-theft measures and never (ever?) enforced. Clearly/obviously, such an arrangement can't really be enforced (clearly/obviously, it's very unlikely that any one would try to do that). Part of the confusion is that some people think that all registrations are the same. (With his mention of OHRV registrations, Andy is one such person).

Yes, it would be largely impossible to enforce unless it was universal and there was a basically standard place to put a large sticker (that was easy to see) that expired.

Other than observing an expired sticker, car registrations are enforced as secondary to being stopped for other reasons. Do cops in Alabama know what an expired Canadian province registration sticker looks like?

Aqua Andy was saying that one could end-up paying a fee to every town you rode in (multiple registrations), which is quite bizarre.

Can you imagine having to register your bike in every town or city you ride in?
No, because no one would ever set it up that way. The few cities that have registrations never enforce it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-05-15 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 07:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
So---------------what would happen if I loaded up my bike and drove to some city with greedy b'crats that passed bike registration? Would a cop stop me and give me a ticket since I wouldnt have a registration sticker? What if a local riding without identification was stopped, and he said he was from out of town?

There are so many questions and problems with bike registration, it becomes a non starter.
Old 09-05-15, 10:43 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
So---------------what would happen if I loaded up my bike and drove to some city with greedy b'crats that passed bike registration? Would a cop stop me and give me a ticket since I wouldnt have a registration sticker? What if a local riding without identification was stopped, and he said he was from out of town?

There are so many questions and problems with bike registration, it becomes a non starter.
You're confusing.....intentionally?.....examples of municipal registration with state wide registration as done with motor vehicles, they're two entirely different things, and OVH/boat registrations are another thing again.

The job of those "greedy b'crats" is to serve often selfish citizens who always want more than they're willing to pay for......and only for what they want.
What's important to us as cyclists is a waste by "greedy b'crats" to many others.
Old 09-05-15, 11:40 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by gpsblake
Charleston SC already has this.

It's an anti-theft measure. It is a $1 one-time fee. It's not likely that it is ever enforced.

Online Help

Originally Posted by ngateguy
Back in the 60's when I was a kid we had to register our bikes, it was not uncommon for cities to require it. The reason most cities dropped the program is that it cost more to run the program than they could reasonably charge for registration.
These programs were (all?) anti-theft measures. They were never enforced (it's likely no one even thought to enforce them). The compliance rate in you town was, almost certainly, very low.

These programs were dropped because basically no-one registered their bikes.

People aren't really talking about anti-theft registrations of this sort.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-05-15 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 06:41 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by kickstart
You're confusing.....intentionally?.....examples of municipal registration with state wide registration as done with motor vehicles, they're two entirely different things, and OVH/boat registrations are another thing again.

The job of those "greedy b'crats" is to serve often selfish citizens who always want more than they're willing to pay for......and only for what they want.
What's important to us as cyclists is a waste by "greedy b'crats" to many others.
Sorry you are confused. I load up my bike, drive to a city with bike registration, park my car, unload my bike and go for a bike ride. If the police stop me and look for a registration sticker would he arrest me? Just think an unlicensed cyclist running amok!!!!!! Save your women and children from the cyclist that dont pay tribute to the greedy b'crats!!!!!

This one point is why bike registration is stupid. With all the crap going on in our cities do we really need the police chasing down cyclist?

Last edited by rydabent; 09-05-15 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 12:18 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry you are confused. I load up my bike, drive to a city with bike registration, park my car, unload my bike and go for a bike ride. If the police stop me and look for a registration sticker would he arrest me? Just think an unlicensed cyclist running amok!!!!!! Save your women and children from the cyclist that dont pay tribute to the greedy b'crats!!!!!

This one point is why bike registration is stupid. With all the crap going on in our cities do we really need the police chasing down cyclist?
Once again, not community registration, but state wide registration like a motor vehicle, boat, or OHV.

State wide, not by individual communities.

I see you're really hung up on this "greedy b'crats" thing, but the point isn't to give cops a reason to chase down cyclists. Its about the possibility of it helping to pay for cycling infrastructure, education, and improve recovery of stolen bicycles.......and prosecute drunk bishops, which we know excites you.
One way or the other we all pay for these things, maybe if some of the funds came directly from cyclists, there would be less objections from non cyclists crying "greedy b'crats".......
Old 09-06-15, 06:07 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You aren't being clear. Cars are registered once and that one registration applies to all jurisdictions.

There were (are?) bicycle registrations done by individual towns but those were sold (always?) as anti-theft measures and never (ever?) enforced. Clearly/obviously, such an arrangement can't really be enforced (clearly/obviously, it's very unlikely that any one would try to do that). Part of the confusion is that some people think that all registrations are the same. (With his mention of OHRV registrations, Andy is one such person).

Yes, it would be largely impossible to enforce unless it was universal and there was a basically standard place to put a large sticker (that was easy to see) that expired.

Other than observing an expired sticker, car registrations are enforced as secondary to being stopped for other reasons. Do cops in Alabama know what an expired Canadian province registration sticker looks like?

Aqua Andy was saying that one could end-up paying a fee to every town you rode in (multiple registrations), which is quite bizarre.

No, because no one would ever set it up that way. The few cities that have registrations never enforce it.

I too remember getting a bike license in my town. My next door neighbour was the traffic sergeant's son and always got plate #1 . Unfortunately the world has changed and things aren't so simple or gentle. Advocates of registration see it as a way of controlling cyclist behaviour and forcing them to have insurance. For this to work you'd have to be stopped and ticketed if you didn't have a registration sticker. Crazy I agree but that's the logical outcome.
Old 09-06-15, 09:22 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Again, here in Hawaii we have mandatory registration. None of the bad things people are suggesting have happened here to my knowledge. Whether or not registration does any good I don't know -- I don't see any benefit but maybe that is just me. As it happens, two of my bikes are registered and two (bought out of state) are not. Have never had any problem with that, but I guess I could (police can confiscate on sight a bike with no registration tag). ISTR they used that on homeless at times, I suspect mainly where they accumulate a number of beat up bikes.

On CL bikes, people normally will declare if the bike is current registered. I'm not sure what the legal implications are of buying an unregistered CL bike. One of these days I will ask HPD. You are required to transfer the registration and present it to satellite city hall (our version of DMV). I don't know how the other counties handle it, but assume it's about the same.

Like buying a car, the dealer/LBS handles the registration for you on a new purchase.

scott s.
Old 09-07-15, 06:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Once again, not community registration, but state wide registration like a motor vehicle, boat, or OHV.

I see you're really hung up on this "greedy b'crats" thing, but the point isn't to give cops a reason to chase down cyclists. Its about the possibility of it helping to pay for cycling infrastructure, education, and improve recovery of stolen bicycles.......and prosecute drunk bishops, which we know excites you.
One way or the other we all pay for these things, maybe if some of the funds came directly from cyclists, there would be less objections from non cyclists crying "greedy b'crats".......
Ok--------------------I live in Nebr, I load up my bike and drive to Washington state. I unload my bike in a city with bike registration and go for a ride. Would a cop stop me and give me a ticket because I have no registration?
Old 09-07-15, 07:15 AM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many people on bicycles do you see shopping at Costco? Costco exists to serve the needs of cagers in the suburbs. Now, if we could get some actual infrastructure improvements, I'd be happy to pay a little more. I'd also like to see them add some basic information about not cyclists to those driving tests that cagers have to take. I'm still flabbergasted at how many of them think I should ride on the sidewalk, never enter the lane, ride against the flow of traffic, can't understand hand signals, & fail to yield to me when I have the right of way.
Old 09-07-15, 10:46 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Ok--------------------I live in Nebr, I load up my bike and drive to Washington state. I unload my bike in a city with bike registration and go for a ride. Would a cop stop me and give me a ticket because I have no registration?
When I moved to Washington from New Jersey, I didn't change the registration on my truck within the time required. I eventually got pulled over by a cop near where I worked and got a warning, He said that he had seen me often enough to know I was living and working in Washington rather than just visiting.

Visiting or passing through? No. Taking up residence? Yes.

And...............one more time................ THE ENTIRE STATE, NOT BY COMMUNITY.
Old 09-07-15, 11:07 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ciderguy
How many people on bicycles do you see shopping at Costco? Costco exists to serve the needs of cagers in the suburbs. .
FWIW,
The Costco corporate campus is in Issaquah Wa., a bike friendly town with many cyclists on the road. There's a public bike trail running along the border of their campus, and there's a network of bike trails on their campus. When I make deliveries there I get the distinct impression they are a bike friendly company.
Old 09-08-15, 07:11 AM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I moved to Washington from New Jersey, I didn't change the registration on my truck within the time required. I eventually got pulled over by a cop near where I worked and got a warning, He said that he had seen me often enough to know I was living and working in Washington rather than just visiting.

Visiting or passing through? No. Taking up residence? Yes.

And...............one more time................ THE ENTIRE STATE, NOT BY COMMUNITY.
I'm not sure what your point is. Not changing a valid registration to reflect a new address is different than not having a required registration from any jurisdiction. So even if it's by state/province (and I dread that imposition), if my jurisdiction doesn't have registration and I take my bike to another province/state that has a registration program do I need to register there or risk getting pulled over and ticketed? One more time... bike registration is a terrible idea.

Re Costco, it's clearly a car-oriented business but when I asked for a bike rack they responded almost immediately and installed one. A small thing, perhaps, but better than a lot of places...

Last edited by asmac; 09-08-15 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 10:22 AM
njkayaker

So even if it's by state/province (and I dread that imposition), if my jurisdiction doesn't have registration and I take my bike to another province/state that has a registration program do I need to register there or risk getting pulled over and ticketed?
Your car registration doesn't work that way, does it?

One more time... bike registration is a terrible idea.
No one here is actually arguing for bicycle registration.

The error you and others here keep making is that, since it would not be implemented in the way you fear (see car registration), what you fear can't be the reason bicycle registration would be a "terrrible idea".
Old 09-08-15, 10:26 AM
njkayaker

Does your car registration work that way?
Old 09-08-15, 12:00 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm not sure what your point is. Not changing a valid registration to reflect a new address is different than not having a required registration from any jurisdiction. So even if it's by state/province (and I dread that imposition), if my jurisdiction doesn't have registration and I take my bike to another province/state that has a registration program do I need to register there or risk getting pulled over and ticketed? One more time... bike registration is a terrible idea.

Re Costco, it's clearly a car-oriented business but when I asked for a bike rack they responded almost immediately and installed one. A small thing, perhaps, but better than a lot of places...
As I have said before, I'm not advocating bike registration, I'm simple pondering ways it could be done to benefit cyclists if initiated preemptively by the cycling community, rather than having it thrust upon us by non cyclists.

My comments about Costco were simply an observation, it seems contradictory to assume they're anti cycling when they apparently do so much to accommodate cyclists.

Last edited by kickstart; 09-08-15 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 12:17 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts

Yes - car registrations do work that way. If I drive an unregistered car (no plates or out of date sticker) then I would expect to be pulled over. A car is registered in its home jurisdiction and the registration is recognized by all or most other jurisdictions that you could reasonably drive to. If you live in a non-mandatory-bicycle registration jurisdiction and ride to a mandatory-bicycle-registration jurisdiction, will they stop and ticket you for not having your bicycle registered?
Old 09-08-15, 12:41 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes it does except there is no jurisdiction that does not require registration/insurance for motor vehicles. If I was to drive around anywhere with no valid plates I'd be stopped and my car would be impounded. If I had plates from another jurisdiction that would be accepted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.