Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Selle Royal Scientia Saddles. A++++++

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 09:10 PM
GodinSession

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

So I have been searching and searching for that saddle that dissapears beneath you on a ride. I recently bought a giant comax anyroad. It has dropbars but my saddle is just slightly below handlebar level. I LOVE it but have been struggling finding a seat that works. I tries a brooks b17, specialized toupe, selle anatomica, selle smp pluse, performance fort model and probably a couple others i cant remember. Well i called my local lbs and told them about my dillema and they said they just started to carry the entire range of selle scientia saddles. I had not heard of these so I looked them up online and was excited to go check them out. Based on my sit bone test and my position on my bike I ended up with the M3. It is far and away the most comfortable saddle I have ever had. It has the perfect amount of padding and the way the seat flexes to soak up the bumps is just fantastic! I am so excited to be able to ride now without thinking about my sore butt the whole time! If you are in the market for a new seatdefinately give these a consideration!
Old 04-17-16, 06:40 PM
GodinSession

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Here are a couple of pics

Old 04-17-16, 06:54 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Very nice. How do they determine the sizing?

edit: I just read about sizing on the website. Looks like I need to measure my butt.

Last edited by MrWasabi; 04-17-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 07:07 PM
GodinSession

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My LBS had Selle Royals measuring device. It was a gel covered pad that you sit on. More or less works the same as the specialized assometer.
Old 04-11-17, 07:40 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@GodinSession : I know this thread is about a year old, but I'm looking at dropping $98CDN on this same saddle and was just wondering if you could update us after a year whether you think it's still as great as your original review?

I read up on Selle Royal's "scientific" design process for this saddle, and it looks pretty, well, scientific. I checked them out at my LBS and did the "pinch test" against a bunch of Specialized and Serfas saddles, and it looks and feels like a winner, but I didn't get to try it on a bike yet. I particularly like the leaf-spring type rail mounts that are supposed to give a bit more suspension to the seat to absorb jarring bumps.

I just had my sit-bones measured at 132mm, and my wife measured my back angle while in pedaling position at 56 degrees on my Giant Roam, so I'm thinking the M3 is my correct fit too.

Let me know if you have an updated opinion please!

Thanks
TRJB
Old 04-12-17, 04:59 AM
GodinSession

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
After about a year on the saddle I still love it. In fact I recently bought another road bike and first thing I did was get this saddle. On my new bike I am in a racier position so I got the saddle for that position. Love both of them. So extremely comfortable. If I had one complaint it would be the material they are made of. When I stand to peddle and then go to sit back down the material on the saddle sticks a bit to my Lycra. I don't slide back into position as easily so sometimes I have to fidget a bit on the saddle to get back in a comfy position. But that is only a very minor gripe. If I got a new bike I would without hesitation get this saddle again. Hope this helps. Please post back if u get one and how you like it after a ride or two.
Old 04-12-17, 12:39 PM
therealjoeblow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are very few reviews online, but the ones I have found have been mixed, a couple of "love it's" like yours, and a couple of "meh's" over on Amazon, that's about it.

One thing that concerns me is the covering as you mention. What has the durability been like on yours? I found a complaint from someone on Amazon.co.uk that said his is wearing very poorly after only 6 weeks:

On Amazon.de, one of the german reviews also seems to indicate that the finish is wearing badly after a short time too, but the translation from Google was not great.

This concerns me quite a bit for something that costs about $100...

Cheers
TRJB
Old 04-12-17, 12:53 PM
GodinSession

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
As far as wear goes, mine still look brand new. I sure hope mine do not wear like the ones in the pictures above!
Old 04-12-17, 01:02 PM
therealjoeblow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the look of the wear zones in the photos, my guess is the person riding that saddle was doing so exclusively in jeans.

That said, I ride in jeans and cargo pants some times, particularly spring and fall. I'm a bit leery to cough up the coin on this particular saddle just based on the covering material - it doesn't "feel" as thick and durable as the ones with denser vinyl type coverings. While that's subjective at this point since I don't own one yet, the photos do play into my suspicion and concerns.

Cheers
TRJB