Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2014 Giant Escape RX Composite

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2014 Giant Escape RX Composite

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 04:52 PM
ps249

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
So a little update on the 2014 GiantEscape RX Composite. So shortly after receiving my bike I had some medical expenses come up and decided to sell it. I learned a hard lesson about bikes and how they depreciate insanely fast even worse than cars. Either way looking back the bike was niche and still is today. The top tube being 22" for a small in retrospect is pretty long and really the length you would see on a hardtail mountain bike. I always felt a tad too stretched out on the bike. Secondly while the bike's frame and fork were carbon the bike was pretty heavy at over 20lbs. What really didn't age well was the Tiagra/R350 parts which were so middling performance wise and even back then for $1550 were just too expensive, now you can easily get a sub 20lb carbon road bike with Shimano 105 for under $1500.

After selling the bike I took a few years off from cycling and last year bought a left over 2016 Kestrel RT 1000 105 flat bar bike for $1000 shipped on Nashbar. The Kestrel RT really is a road bike that Kestrel slapped on a flat bar while being only 18.5lbs and being very fast. Buying the Kestrel taught me another lesson, never buy a brand new bike from a bike shop. I am not against local bike shops but buying a hold back/leftover really is your best bet since you get a new bike with a full warranty while still being up to date tech/performance wise.

I managed to sell my Kestrel recently for $900 which means I paid $100 for one seasons use. Again I found an awesome deal on a holdover on a new 2017 Scott Addict 20 Disc, now I know this is a race road bike but this bike had a MSRP of $3800 and assembled with no tax I got it for $1650. I bring all of this up because 5 years ago I bought the 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite for $1700 with tax included new from a bike shop and now today I have advanced to a bike that simply destroys the Escape at essentially the same price.

I will say if you are just getting into cycling or just going to put around than if you can score a 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite in great condition for $300 or so then yeah even today the bike has it's merits
I have since sold my RX composite years ago. I am now riding the 2019 Specialized Sirrus elite carbon. Way much better than the Giant RX.