Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing shifter cables with internal cable routing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 07:56 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on replacing shifter cables (Sram Force) on a BMC frame with internal cable routing, which I have never done before: I want to do it myself in order to learn how to service my entire bike.

1. Does it make sense to replace the shifter cables without also changing the housing? Or do you always replace both at the same time?
2. I am planning to use the method with a thin "cable liner" or "housing liner" to guide over my old cable, and then guide the new cable through the internal routing in the frame using this method: https://www.artscyclery.com/learning...tedcables.html
Planning to buy this liner for it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AVQ4OOHG&psc=1. Anyone know of a better method or liner?
3. Are you supposed to re-use the barrel adjusters at the ends of the cable housings? Or do you replace those?
4. Any other tips / tricks to look out for?

Thank you!
Old 10-04-18, 08:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,304 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have internal routing

1- As internal routing is a pain to deal with and that the casing does wear too I strongly replacing both at the same time.
2- The liner over the existing inner cable is the first method I go to. Only when it doesn't work would I have to use a more frustrating one.
3- Always have a barrel adjuster in a cable path. Unless they are damaged/rusted I would clean them up. lube the threading/spring and reuse.
4- Use SS inners. Use uncoated inners. Use new casing end caps. Do double check the adjustments and alignments of the ders after.

Andy
Old 10-04-18, 03:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I replace both the inners and outers at the same time, my reasoning being that the inner wears into the outer (a major contributor to "stretch") and a new inner may not play well with the existing groove.
Agree with Andrew Stewart's cable choices, I use die-slicked/drawn inners. I use the tiny dab of lube which comes on Shimano housings, or none if not supplied. It is tough to find a lube which improves on steel vs PTFE's (Teflon) coefficient of friction of ~0.05.
Old 10-04-18, 09:07 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I made a video about a year ago with some tips as well as potential issues to avoid, but yeah, you should generally replace the housing when replacing the inner wires.
Old 10-05-18, 03:31 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I have replaced a number of internally routed housings.
Best is before you put out the old housing, attach a strong piece of string or cord with electrical tape. This will help you snake back in the new housing by taping it to the string. It is important to feed the new housing in as you pull the string. If you lose the string you are going to have to snake it.

Me.... I'm a retired electrician, that is why I use this trick.

Old 10-05-18, 06:24 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The worst internally routed cable I ever had to deal with was a late '80's Trek 560 where the rear shift cable was routed internally through the drive-side chainstay. There was no housing used, just the inner wire. There had been an internal guide funnel at the exit end but that had come loose as these frames were prone to do. It must have taken a half hour of trial and error and profanity before I lucked into the exit hole. I quickly learned to use the old cable to guide the new one through for future recabling.
Old 10-05-18, 09:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Use the old cable housing to guide the new inner shift cable through the frame. Then pull out the old cable housing and use the new cable to guide the new cable housing.

My other trick is to figure out how to position the bike so that I can see the cable outlet and it's right right at the bottom. Then I push the cable through and watch as it comes past the exit hole. Then I snag it with something and pull it through. This has always been easier to do than it sounds. The most time consuming part is figuring how to position and clamp the bike so I can see the exit hole.
Old 06-17-19, 10:42 AM
justridingalong

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on replacing shifter cables (Sram Force) on a BMC frame with internal cable routing, which I have never done before: I want to do it myself in order to learn how to service my entire bike.

1. Does it make sense to replace the shifter cables without also changing the housing? Or do you always replace both at the same time?

2. I am planning to use the method with a thin "cable liner" or "housing liner" to guide over my old cable, and then guide the new cable through the internal routing in the frame using this method: https://www.artscyclery.com/learning...tedcables.html

Planning to buy this liner for it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AVQ4OOHG&psc=1. Anyone know of a better method or liner?

3. Are you supposed to re-use the barrel adjusters at the ends of the cable housings? Or do you replace those?

4. Any other tips / tricks to look out for?

Thank you!

I'm replacing a rear shifter so a new cable is required. I've seen videos that use tubing with a i.d. that slightly larger than the cable as a guide, magnets, thread fastened to cable, a vacuum. I think I'm going to remove the bottom bracket and have a look into the shell, then make my decision. Right now I'm considering fishing line connected to the end of the cable for removal and installing a new cable. I'll post my results in case I can help others. Unless there's something wrong with a barrel adj. I'd leave it. Replacing housing is recommended. I'll check that Amazon liner out.
Old 06-18-19, 02:30 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by justridingalong
I'm replacing a rear shifter so a new cable is required. I've seen videos that use tubing with a i.d. that slightly larger than the cable as a guide, magnets, thread fastened to cable, a vacuum. I think I'm going to remove the bottom bracket and have a look into the shell, then make my decision. Right now I'm considering fishing line connected to the end of the cable for removal and installing a new cable. I'll post my results in case I can help others. Unless there's something wrong with a barrel adj. I'd leave it. Replacing housing is recommended. I'll check that Amazon liner out.
Just FYI, I used that liner cable from Amazon, worked absolutely perfectly!

The inner diameter is just ever so slightly larger than the shifter or brake cable. You just slide it over the old cable, through the frame. Then, slide out the old cable, and slide in the new cable. Very easy, and no risk of the cable getting lost at any point.

I would definitely use this method again in the future, and not bother with any other method.
Old 06-18-19, 03:58 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
just fyi, i used that liner cable from amazon, worked absolutely perfectly!

The inner diameter is just ever so slightly larger than the shifter or brake cable. You just slide it over the old cable, through the frame. Then, slide out the old cable, and slide in the new cable. Very easy, and no risk of the cable getting lost at any point.

I would definitely use this method again in the future, and not bother with any other method.
but it took you 8 months!
Old 06-18-19, 04:10 PM
justridingalong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jagwire housing liner

Just FYI, I used that liner cable from Amazon, worked absolutely perfectly!

I ordered some Jagwire Black Housing Liner like you recommended, that seems to be the best solution for running cables through the frame.
Old 06-20-19, 07:23 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
but it took you 8 months!
Lol, yeah! I'm a bit slow..
Old 06-20-19, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
use Magnets (as long as frame is not steel, or cable is non ferrous stainless.. )
Old 06-23-19, 11:21 PM
justridingalong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justridingalong
Turns out that there is an internal tube running from the down tube to the chainstay on my bike for the cable- good deal