Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Rides and Events > Northeast Rides and Events
Reload this Page >

Fast Peloton Rides in DC/North Virginia?

Notices
Northeast Rides and Events Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Rhode Island | Vermont

Fast Peloton Rides in DC/North Virginia?

Old 08-25-18, 09:46 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by plpete
I do the CycleLife Saturday morning ride almost every weekend. [...]
The CycleLife bike shop closed a year or so ago. So I assume their ride also stopped.

I updated a couple of my posts, here above, to avoid making the thread any longer. There are probably more updates. If y'all send them my way, I will modify my previous posts. I was hoping the DC Paceline web page, would be a comprehensive information source, but several rides are not mentioned on it, and it appears that errors persist in the listings despite repeated requests to have them fixed, so I guess this thread here will continue to be useful.

12/30/18: I just heard about a ride, it might be a new one? It starts Wednesdays at 6:30 somewhere in Kensington, MD, comes down to Beach Drive and continues south. I heard the group is about 10 or 15 riders, some overlap with the Goon Ride crowd. Obviously, headlights are needed.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Arlington Tuesday evening ride that used to originate out of the FreshBikes store. I think FreshBikes was taken over by Spokes. I did the ride once, a few years ago. It was a huge group of riders--maybe 60 or so--which soon split into groups according to speed. Very challenging, lots of hills, about 17 miles. Here is a map that is similar to the route.

February 2019: The NCVC 'Espresso Ride' appears to be ongoing, 50 miles long, Sundays, 9 am, in the winter season only. Here's another look at the map using a different mapping engine.

Last edited by dglevy; 02-18-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 02:31 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I ran into someone today who mentioned the 'Tomahawk Ride'. It's listed on the DC Paceline website; it originates in Arlington. He said it's very hilly, didn't realize there were so many hills in the DC area...
Old 12-12-18, 03:49 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dglevy
I ran into someone today who mentioned the 'Tomahawk Ride'. It's listed on the DC Paceline website; it originates in Arlington. He said it's very hilly, didn't realize there were so many hills in the DC area...

They are short punchy hills, about .5mi @4-5%avg. There are tons of them in the DC area. You cannot find any hills near the district longer than a mile.
Old 08-12-19, 01:27 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The 'DC Pacelines' website mentioned here above appears to have been abandoned. It hasn't been updated in a long time. I submitted a correction and addition twice and the changes were not made to the site. A ride leader I know has also been persistently trying to get their ride description corrected--without success.

So, as far as I know, this forum thread returns to being the most up to date and comprehensive source for fast training rides.

I have put in an update to the weekdays 12:30 pm Bethesda Ride at post #54 .

I was told the following regarding the Tuesday/Thursday Goon Ride (described at least once here, previously): The ride starts in Garrett Park at or near the northernmost end of Beach Drive. The start time varies according to sunset times. Right now, it's starting at 6:30 pm; it will start earlier as the days become shorter--it has been 5:30 pm in late October. The hardest parts are the climbs up Ridge Rd and Stoneybrook Dr.

I have been told there is Tuesday/Thursday 6 pm Hains Point ride that starts out with a fairly large pack but gets whittled down due to the high speeds. Personally, I will check out the Tuesday edition--Thursdays are too crowded for comfort with pedestrians, rollerbladers and slow riders...

9/4/19: I just learned about a Bicycle Place Wednesday Evening Ride. The start times get earlier as the days get shorter. 6:15 pm, at the moment. Looks like they aim for about a 1 1/4 hour ride, assuming it ends at sundown. Part of the ride is on the newly paved, super smooth, Beach Drive...

Last edited by dglevy; 09-04-19 at 11:28 AM.
Likes For dglevy: