Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

LoPressor, What a bummer!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

LoPressor, What a bummer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 01:04 PM
netso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LoPressor was given to me by my Doctor for HBP. Also, Adalat CC. I immediately slowed down on the bike. It felt like I gained 20 pounds. I stopped the LoPressor, voila, I speeded up again. I have dropped the LoPressor with no ill effects on my HBP or HR. Have any of you had a similar experience?
Old 01-13-05, 01:52 PM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on Prinivil (Lisinopril) for hypertension. I can't say how if affected my performance or HR one way or the other.

'bent Brian
Old 01-14-05, 07:44 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also on Lisinopril, 10 mg/day, no effect on bike, big effect on BP
Old 01-14-05, 08:08 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well lopressor is a beta-blocker that is solely designed to limit your HR. it is more vital in people who have arrythmias than for use in simple hypertention. Lisinopril works peripherally rather than directly on the heart muscle itself (like lopressor)
lisinopril limits an enzyme in the kidney that causes hypertension, so the effects and side effects are less severe.
Old 01-14-05, 10:28 AM
netso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I gather, Prinivil (Lisinopril), is the way to go. I will ask my Physician about this product my next checkup which is in February.
Old 01-14-05, 12:46 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After my bypass I was on Betablockers (Atenolol) and it affected my Bike riding. I could not get my HR above 130, and even at that low rate I was shatterred. I was taking it daily in the mornings so hit on a regime of taking one the night before a ride instead of in the morning. 9 weeks after the bypass I did a 40 miler on the road and it took in quite a few hills but kept HR to 140 and I was fine. On one of them I decided to go for it and got my HR up to 165, and then passed a roadie, so pushed harder to stay in front of him. Reached my Age Max of 172, and waited at the checkpoint at the top of the hill till my HR dropped to 120. Seemed to take ages but it did come down. Then over the next year I cut the Beta's until I was off them completely. No problems, and still get HR up to my current max of 165 somewhere on a ride, but cannot compete with the youngsters who have a max of 200ish
Old 01-14-05, 03:11 PM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lisinopril is only one of a class of drugs called ACE Inhibitors (angiotensin conversion enzyme inhibitors) . So, ask your doc about ACE Inhibitors in general, Lisinopril is very commonly prescribed.

ACE Inhib. make some people cough badly, so they cannot tolerate them, in which case there are newer ones which operate similarly but are more expensive (haven't gone generic yet), but you don't cough. I think they are called "Angiotensin Update Inhibitors"?

Originally Posted by netso
From what I gather, Prinivil (Lisinopril), is the way to go. I will ask my Physician about this product my next checkup which is in February.
Old 01-14-05, 04:21 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
ACE Inhib. make some people cough badly
Truer words were never written!
Old 01-15-05, 05:51 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
well lopressor is a beta-blocker that is solely designed to limit your HR. it is more vital in people who have arrythmias than for use in simple hypertention. Lisinopril works peripherally rather than directly on the heart muscle itself (like lopressor)
lisinopril limits an enzyme in the kidney that causes hypertension, so the effects and side effects are less severe.
Thank you for your informative post. Patients need to be well-informed, because not all doctors are.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069