Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2018 Giant Roam 2

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2018 Giant Roam 2

Old 05-01-18, 12:49 PM
cycling705

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, Hokie. It looks fantastic!

I know you are fond of your Trek Verve as well. Just out of curiosity, now that you've made some adjustments to your new Roam, how would you compare the ride style between the two bikes? Are they similar, or noticeably different?

Glad you're enjoying the Roam.

Last edited by cycling705; 05-01-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 06:10 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by cycling705
Congrats on the new bike, Hokie. It looks fantastic!

I know you are fond of your Trek Verve as well. Just out of curiosity, now that you've made some adjustments to your new Roam, how would you compare the ride style between the two bikes? Are they similar, or noticeably different?
Thank you. I'm really enjoying the Roam so far. The basic frame geometry is actually very similar between my Verve, the Roam, and also the DS. The Roam and the DS are nearly equivalent in some measures, and the Verve is similar, though just a little different. I have specs on these three bikes (2015 Verve, 2018 Roam, 2018 DS), either in the frame size that I own (21" Verve, Large Roam) or the frame size that I would buy (19" DS). I will list and compare them below.

Head angle: Verve and Roam (70.5), DS (71.0). These are all basically equivalent, and is a moderate angle often used on hybrids and traditional mountain bikes. Much slacker than this (below 70) is often where modern mountain bikes are and much steeper than this (above 73 or so) is where most road bikes are.

Effective top tube: Verve (23.4"), Roam (24.0"), DS (23.8"). Many see the effective top tube as one of the more critical frame measurements for personal fit, but I think there's so much variance in where one can have a saddle mounted and in stem length that I don't think this is a huge factor. All three bikes are within about half of an inch, so they're all functionally the same to me.

Standover: Verve (31.1"), Roam (30.7"), DS (31.1"). Again, functionally equivalent to me.

Bottom bracket height: Verve (11.2"), Roam (11.9"), DS (11.6"). They're mostly similar and, for the type of riding that I engage in, they're functionally equivalent.

Chain stay length: Verve (18.3") Roam and DS (17.9"). The Verve is nearly half of an inch longer with the chain stay. Does this make for a more stable/less maneuverable ride? Eh...not that I can tell...it's not much if it does.

Trail: Verve (2.8"), Roam (3.1"), DS (3.2"). Trail is the measurement of how far the front tire's contact patch is behind where the steering axis intersects the pavement. My Giant ARX was a high trail bike (3.8"), and I found that I didn't like how that felt. Any of these three feel good to me. That seemingly small difference seems to be big in steering geometry.

As you can see, all of these bikes (my 2015 Verve, 2018 Roam, and 2018 Trek DS that I would have bought if I didn't buy the Roam) are nearly within measuring error from each other in frame geometry. They all feel similar to me. My Verve has a more upright positioning only because I have a pretty tall adjustable quill stem on it right now. I actually plan to take that quill stem off, install a threadless stem adapter, and use a basic fixed threadless stem, now that I know more or less where I like the handlebar height. One could set a Verve up to be near exact to a Roam or DS in terms of riding position with a short and low stem. Likewise, one could install a super tall stem on a Roam or DS and effectively make a Verve. These bikes are super similar, and ride about the same.

The biggest difference is I keep the suspension preload pretty low on the Verve, and it has smooth 32mm street tires on it (they're labeled 35mm, but they measure 32mm). The ride is SUPER quiet (there's no tread pattern or road noise at all) and I have fenders on it. The paint is super glossy, and I enjoy keeping this bike very clean (usually ride road only). It's classy to me. I haven't changed the Roam's tires, and I probably won't. I like the 38mm (labeled and actual!) Giant Connect tires. I like the integrated splash guard on the down tube. And I now have a rack on it to keep rear mud spray down for off road. I like the satin paint finish on the Roam; I think it has a slightly more aggressive appearance to it, and I'm enjoying it on a lot of gravel and two track so far.

I'll take some pictures with both bikes so you can see some of the functional differences. There really isn't much meaningful difference in frame geometry -- it's all in the rest of the setup (saddle, stem, handlebar, etc).
Old 05-02-18, 04:42 AM
hokiefyd 

My new cassette came in yesterday. I'm replacing the stock CS-HG200-9 (11-34) cassette with a CS-HG400-9 (12-36) cassette. You can see the functional difference below.

IMG_20180501_184144740 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180501_190843288 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180501_190852844 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Besides having slightly different sprocket sizes and a different finish (nickel vs. black phosphate), the HG400 has various scallops cut into the sides of the sprocket. I haven't seen this on any other Shimano cassette before. It seems to work well -- shifting is definitely smoother with the HG400 than it was with the HG200. Nice upgrade for about 30 bucks!
Old 05-02-18, 06:36 AM
cycling705

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Hokie. The information your provided was fantastic and very helpful. I really appreciate the time you took to respond. I do have a follow-up question, but I'll send you a private message as I don't want to send this thread into a rabbit trail.
Old 05-02-18, 08:03 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It has developed a creak/tick in the bottom bracket area. It's most noticeable when I stand/shift weight on the pedals. I don't think it's in the pedals themselves, and I don't think it's in the seat tube or seat post clamp -- I think it's down in the bottom bracket area. I will tighten the cranks and tighten the bottom bracket cartridge, but if it looks like it'll need any parts, I'll carry it back to the shop and let Giant pay for that.
Originally Posted by Roamer2
I had a similar noise & it goes away when I lube the pedals. I'll upgrade when if/when it gets worse.
Interesting. I also have noticed some clicking/ticking on my bike. I feel it under my right foot when pedaling. It comes and goes and I haven't figured out yet how to consistently reproduce it. When it is clicking/ticking, switching gears on the front or rear doesn't make it go away. I guess I should try lubing the pedals as well. Or just get new ones.
Old 05-02-18, 08:17 AM
hokiefyd 

I removed my crankset this morning before work and swapped to a different crankset, and just leaned on the pedals with my weight down in the shop. It seemed to be better. I re-installed the original crankset, and it's back to the way it was. Based on this, I don't believe it's in the bottom bracket itself, but it may be in the interface of where the crank arms slide over the square taper. I will likely drop it off at the bike shop and let them look at it under warranty.
Old 05-02-18, 08:46 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Those "scallops" , also called shifting ramps, help with smooth shifting, up and down!
Old 05-04-18, 11:49 AM
hokiefyd 

When I brought my Roam in to the bike shop, he said he could almost guarantee that the bottom bracket needs to be tightened. He said they check the torque on the crank arms during assembly (which are already installed), but this isn't the first bike where he's had to pull the crank arms back off and put a turn or so into the bottom bracket. He said that it's usually the drive side that's a bit loose, but it was the non-drive side on my bike which needed a tighten. It's all better now. I should have thought to check that when I had the crank arms off.

Bike shop was great, though. I brought it in around 5pm, he said he needed to build a new Sedona for a lady, and then he'd check mine and get it out. He called by 6:30 and I was there before they closed at 7 to pick it back up. Great customer service (and, now, a quiet bike!).
Old 05-30-18, 06:57 PM
hokiefyd 

I have almost 100 miles on the bike, and I still enjoy it. It's been super wet here lately, and I've been doing a lot of home improvement projects (plus mowing the lawn at least once a week), so my riding has tapered off some. Plus, I've bought myself another project, a 1969 Peugeot PO-18 mixte frame. I can't help it -- I just love classic bikes. So, at best, my riding mileage is shared among a number of bikes, but the miles are counting slowly.

I bought a pair of Schwalbe Hurricanes from Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com). They had these on clearance for $12.99 each, plus $10 international shipping (total order $36). I was looking at three tires, all of them from Schwalbe: Smart Sams (most aggressive), Big Bens (least aggressive), and the Hurricane (in the middle). I'd have been happy with any of them I think, but I pulled the trigger on these due to the price. I mounted them and rode around a little bit this evening and I really like them. I was afraid that I'd feel and hear the growl of the side lugs when cornering, but I have to really lean the bike over for that, so it's a non-issue. These roll completely silently (as Schwalbe says on their website, "noiselessly"), and seem to be pretty quick. The casing is just paper thin (so they ride very nice). I particularly like thin and light tires (I don't need the extra puncture and sidewall protection, and I prefer the supple ride), and these are nice for the size.

Stated sizes are 29x2.0 and 50-622. The casing itself is 47mm wide, and the side lugs are 51mm tip to tip. Perfect for what I wanted. There's still healthy clearance in the frame for larger. Great buy, these tires.

IMG_20180530_170321328 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180530_170330496 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180530_170340334 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180530_170543731 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
Old 06-16-18, 11:56 PM
Idin Donuffin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size are the spokes for the 2018 Giant Roam 2, I'm in the process of replacing the hub a Shimano XT FH-M800, just wondering if I need to re-spoke or use the original, had the bike for about 2 weeks now and my brother gave me a groupset the Shimano XT 8000 he doesn't ride so he has no clue, and for me last bike I had a Tange headsets and Inoue Rubber back in the 80's and they don't seem to make those anymore like Kuwahara bikes. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Idin Donuffin; 06-17-18 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 05:15 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Idin Donuffin
What size are the spokes for the 2018 Giant Roam 2, I'm in the process of replacing the hub a Shimano XT FH-M800, just wondering if I need to re-spoke or use the original, had the bike for about 2 weeks now and my brother gave me a groupset the Shimano XT 8000 he doesn't ride so he has no clue, and for me last bike I had a Tange headsets and Inoue Rubber back in the 80's and they don't seem to make those anymore like Kuwahara bikes. Thanks in advance.
If your new hub dimensions aren't identical to the original, you're most likely going to have to buy new spokes. Just Google for spoke length calculator and use the one you like best. Since you're getting a real nice hub and will have to rebuild the wheel, you might as well buy some real nice spokes like double butted Sapims or DT Swiss..
Old 06-17-18, 11:11 AM
Idin Donuffin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks the rim size is it 700c or 28x1 5/8 x1 1/2, can't call a store it's the weekend too.
Old 06-17-18, 01:28 PM
hokiefyd 

Yes, you'll very likely need to buy new spokes when assembling a wheel. Certain dimensions on the hub itself and of the rim (the effective rim diameter) will determine the length of spoke you'll need. The rim has a 622mm bead seat diameter, sometimes called "700c" and sometimes called "28 inch" depending on where you're from. There is a lot more information on tire sizing systems here.
Old 06-17-18, 03:10 PM
Idin Donuffin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just went with the new wheelset from Tree Fort Bikes with a DT Swiss R470 32H 622 700c and the spokes at 276 equal size L/R for front and rear and ordered tires too Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS-440, I just let the store figure it out, that thing gave me a headache. My experience with a Giant Store in Santa Monica, California over the phone was less than helpful, A person who answered the phone told me why throw money away on a Roam2 then he says you should've gotten the Roam 1 instead, the local LBS is mostly run by greed at every turn, now I have to drive 19 miles to get it set-up in Westminster CA. Thanks for the help.It's a beginning of GAS(Gear Acquisition Syndrome) all over again.

Last edited by Idin Donuffin; 07-04-18 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 05:31 PM
jazzfreek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat clamp on new Roam 2

Picked up my new Roam 2 a few weeks ago and while changing out the seat, the various pierces feef out. The bottom plate of the 2 piece clamp has an arrow on it facing either forward or rearward and I can't tell which is correct. Anybody know which way it goes on? I've tried both ways and the arrow pointing to the rear seems to be better but it's hard to tell. I also have an occasional click I believe is coming from the BB. I will also let Giant and the LBS fix it up. So far I changed the pedals and the seat, and now you've got me thinking about the cassette and bar ends! This is the first bike I've bought since a ten speed Panasonic I bought in 1982 and I am loving it! I'll post pics in the near future, and thanks for any info!
Old 07-04-18, 12:44 AM
Idin Donuffin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out the picture on Giant website, it should give you an idea.
Old 07-04-18, 06:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by jazzfreek
Picked up my new Roam 2 a few weeks ago and while changing out the seat, the various pierces feef out. The bottom plate of the 2 piece clamp has an arrow on it facing either forward or rearward and I can't tell which is correct. Anybody know which way it goes on?
The arrow on the bottom plate should face forward. I'll take a few pictures of mine and post them today. Your LBS should be able to check the bottom bracket clicking. Mine had some clicking that the LBS improved by re-torquing the bottom bracket, but that didn't completely fix the noise. I replaced the cheap Shimano BB100 bottom bracket (with plastic housing that just didn't seem to be sturdy enough) with an older all-steel Shimano bottom bracket I had in my parts bin. That completely fixed the noise. One of these days, I'll get around to putting a new bottom bracket in it.
Old 07-04-18, 09:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Here are three pictures of my Roam's seat post. In all pictures, the left side of the picture is forward.

IMG_20180704_103525227 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180704_103641578 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20180704_103737261 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Be sure to put the conical/ball side of the washers "up", so they sit in the concave seat of the seat post clamp. Then the lower plate goes in, with the arrow visible on the top pointing forward. Then the top plate goes in, with the long "ear" of the plate towards the rear, as seen in the second photograph.
Old 07-05-18, 09:43 AM
jazzfreek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you kindly!

Thanks to everybody who responded to my question about the seat clamp. It was very helpful, the pics are great ! This is a fantastic group.
Old 12-21-18, 07:37 PM
hokiefyd 

I put my Schwalbe Little Big Ben tires back on the Roam this week (40-622 size) and moved the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders from the Trek Verve that I never ride anymore over to the Roam. The fenders are 45mm wide, and are designed for 35mm tires (or narrower), but they work with these Little Big Bens, which inflate up to 39mm. I rode through passing showers today and hit every puddle I could and stayed dry from road spray.

IMG_20181221_134507050 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20181221_134519731 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20181221_134529902 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-21-18, 07:54 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I put my Schwalbe Little Big Ben tires back on the Roam this week (40-622 size) and moved the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders from the Trek Verve that I never ride anymore over to the Roam. The fenders are 45mm wide, and are designed for 35mm tires (or narrower), but they work with these Little Big Bens, which inflate up to 39mm. I rode through passing showers today and hit every puddle I could and stayed dry from road spray.

IMG_20181221_134507050 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20181221_134519731 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20181221_134529902 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
Looks like a beautiful area to ride, hokiefyd ...
Old 04-06-19, 12:49 PM
hokiefyd 

Looking back at this thread makes it seem like I change stuff on my bikes around a lot, and I guess I do! I recently ordered a set of 27.5" wheels for my Roam. I found some WTB SX19 rims laced to Novatec hubs with Continental X-King 2.2 tires. They'll be nice wheels, but I'm not going to use the tires on my Roam. They'll be fine on my Redline, which...already has 27.5" wheels and some Vittoria Mezcal tires... So I figured I'd just MOVE those 27.5" wheels and tires over to my Roam and just fit the new wheels and X-King tires to my Redline when they get here.

And I did! Being OCD, I moved the Redline's brake pads over to my Roam, because they were already bedded to these rotors, and I'll just swap the rotors and cassette from my Roam's old wheels to the new wheels when they arrive next week (and fit the Roam's old brake pads, too). These work great on the Roam. The Mezcal tires are designed for cross country hardpack, and they do great on the pavement, too. My Roam rides a mix of pavement and gravel/dirt, and they'll work terrific for that. These are 2.1" (52mm), and measure up to about 54mm wide and about 52mm tall, which puts them at about 688mm tall (at least by the math), which is the same diameter as a 700x33mm tire. They're a little shorter than the stock 700x38mm tires, but only by about 10mm total. Clearance is still perfect.

These are the TNT version (Tubes, No Tubes), which is Vittoria's nomenclature for tubeless ready tires, with the 120 tpi Anthracite sidewalls. I'm running them with tubes, at 25 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear. They ride very nice and are quick on the road. These are fantastic tires and have been about 66% off on Jenson's website for some time now (I bought these at the same clearance price last fall).

If you like a 2"+ tire, but full 29x2" is getting a little large for your preference (or your frame), and you have disc brakes, you can very likely convert to 27.5".

Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-06-19, 06:11 PM
hokiefyd 

An interesting side observation: the axle-to-crown length of the 63mm 700c fork on the Roam is nearly identical to that of my 80mm 27.5" fork on my mountain bike. I reckon that, using the slightly smaller 27.5" tire profile on the Roam, I could one day move to swapping for a really nice 80mm or 100mm air fork designed for a 27.5" mountain bike. It'd probably be easier to find, and less expensive, than upgrading to a premium 63mm "trekking" fork.
Old 04-08-19, 01:11 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks like a very comfy Roam 2!
Old 04-08-19, 01:59 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Interesting! Nice upgrade to 27.5!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.