Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Don't you hate it when bike shops try to scam you!

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 09:09 AM
bikebikebike!
Can you hear the thunder?

Bikes: road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They tired to get me to spend 95 dollars on new tires and tubes when all I needed was new tubes!!
aggghh!

they think I am stupid because I am young.
Old 03-26-09, 11:28 AM
keisatsu
Eternal n00b

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Marin Mount Vision, '94 Bontrager Racelite, Mirraco Blink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like they were just doing their jobs, trying to sell you stuff.
Old 03-26-09, 11:45 AM
bikebikebike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keisatsu
Sounds like they were just doing their jobs, trying to sell you stuff.
yeah but not only were they trying to rip me off, they were complete jerks so me.
Old 03-26-09, 11:55 AM
keisatsu
Eternal n00b

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Marin Mount Vision, '94 Bontrager Racelite, Mirraco Blink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well if they were being d**ks that's a different story, a story I know all too well living here in Portland. Too many shops here have employees that won't give you the time of day unless you're part of their clique.

That's my one complaint about cycling in Portland Oregon, it's sooo damned clique-y, don't get me wrong, there are a few good shops here, but there are too many I just won't step foot in anymore.
Old 03-26-09, 02:30 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am lucky...small town and the LBS has a good guy in charge. Does cater to off road some but other than that is kind to everyone.
Old 03-26-09, 02:48 PM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They often err on the side of trying to sell you more, rather than less.
That is business, after all. I kind of enjoy it when someone tries to hoodwink me.

I was recently in a shop looking for a new basic bike computer.
Shop Owner: Can I help you?
Me: I need a basic computer. I think I'd like that one. (pointing)
SO: Might I suggest this one. (shows me one that's 50% more)
SO: It's got all the features of the other one, but starts and stops the timer when you start and stop riding.
Me: I thought that one had that as well (gesturing to the cheaper one)
SO: (hands me the cheaper one) See? The features are listed there. (points)
Me: (reading) So here, where it says AutoStopStart, that means something different?
SO: Yes.
Me: (supressing laughter) Hmm, I guess I'm not very technically minded. What does AutoStopStart mean?
SO: (hands the box to his employee)Can you help this customer with this?(walks away)

Fun times.
Likes For Metzinger:
Old 03-26-09, 03:06 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike!
yeah but not only were they trying to rip me off, they were complete jerks so me.
There's a tool to prevent that. Its called the front door. Go out of it, don't leave your money, don't take their goods. Go to their competitor.

You didn't say whether you actually bought the tires. If you didn't then how did they rip you off? If you did, they couldn't have sold you those tires "because you were young and inexperienced" if you knew beforehand that you didn't need any tires. So their judgement that you were inexperienced was correct. And how do you know it was because you were young. Did they state that?

Their job is to sell you as much product as possible. If they didn't, then they should be let go.

You got your money's worth in education alone.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 03-26-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 03:28 PM
Commuter76

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're just trying to keep money coming in. That's why I'm not in sales. I feel guilty trying to sell people crap they don't need.

However, I don't get annoyed by salespeople because they are basically forced to do it. I go into a shop with a plan and leave with only what I need. I will still listen to their pitches because sometimes I'll see some cool stuff I hadn't seen before.

If they get too pushy I will leave though.
Old 03-26-09, 08:23 PM
bikebikebike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keisatsu
Well if they were being d**ks that's a different story, a story I know all too well living here in Portland. Too many shops here have employees that won't give you the time of day unless you're part of their clique.

That's my one complaint about cycling in Portland Oregon, it's sooo damned clique-y, don't get me wrong, there are a few good shops here, but there are too many I just won't step foot in anymore.
trust me i know how that is...
Old 04-01-09, 07:56 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Perhaps you actually needed the tires too? what would make them think you did? or....what Makes you think you did not need tires? A lot of times, when you start getting flats, it's because your tires are wearing thin.
Old 04-14-09, 08:57 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Mine, most are nice. Today went there, was $2 short for getting a cassette on, gave it to me half price! (was 10, got for 5, had 8 available) and even threw in a few much needed chain links free
Old 04-16-09, 09:04 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I come in to a bike shop asking for a tube, the folks usually know that what I really want is what I asked for, and not something else.

If you're young and can't afford to spend $90 on tires when what you really want is a tube, they probably had already guessed that, but figured it was worth a try anyway.

But they should know that having the good will of the locals is the real way for a local bike shop to stay in business. Even if a particular customer isn't rich and his purchases give them hardly any profit, they should assume the customer's friends will hear about the shop, and might spend a lot of money and keep the shop profitable.

An owner who plans to still own the same shop fifteen years from now will also know that the local kid who's got no money now might be very rich later.
Old 04-18-09, 10:21 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Things I would look for are:

Are the tires cracked, bulging, or the tread worn out?
Are they the appropriate tires for the bike, the customer's stated usage or for the terrain?
Has the customer been in several times already to buy tubes, indicating their tires may not be adequate?

If any of the above were true, yes, I'd recommend tires to them, for their safety, convenience and comfort. It'd be a disservice to not benefit them with my experience.

Couldn't there also be a counterpart thread to this where a customer goes in to buy tubes, is sold tubes and later has a blowout due to bad tires, then blames the LBS for not telling him he needed tires?

Last edited by Wordbiker; 04-18-09 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-18-09, 11:23 AM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am glad I didn't read a post further down... "I had a HUGE blowout!" Most bike shops around here are great (especially with my odd bike) even in financial tough times. It is common with cars, housing, ... whatever... to sell you more than you need, but finding a friendly shop who will work for me and with me gets a happy return customer. Business is tough already! Figuring I am being ripped off closes my wallet and helps me find a better shop; so in the long run- a "bad" shop helped me find a "good" shop!
Old 04-18-09, 09:01 PM
800over
Big Mac and No hills.

Bikes: Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countersTrike
It is common with cars, housing, ... whatever... to sell you more than you need,
Faulty logic. These people who sell you more than you need won't see repeat business.....(except that Guy from the Far Side who sells Freezers to the Eskimos)
I've found the most successfull salespeople are the ones who sell you what you want/need. What they sell makes no difference. If you don't see value in the product, don't buy it.
Old 04-20-09, 09:05 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Couldn't there also be a counterpart thread to this where a customer goes in to buy tubes, is sold tubes and later has a blowout due to bad tires, then blames the LBS for not telling him he needed tires?

Thats like blaming the grocery store for starving. Thats just stupid. But on the other hand you have to decide on your own what you do and don't need. If you let them, they'll sell you everything they have and more.