Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Scott AFD 502 | Good Story + Pictures!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-30-09, 08:34 PM
Servo888

Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

On my quest to find a 56cm frame, I ran into a guy trying to sell his Scott... Very friendly guy, had lots of things to say. So I put together a short pic + quote page for you guys to enjoy.

I bought the bike in Europe (Schwinn is marketed in Europe as Scott). I bought it from a bike mechanic that was working for the Belgium Pro team Lotto. It was used in their developmental team (younger riders working their way into the pros). It was 100% pro circuit legal (as of 2000). And, until this year was ONLY professionally maintained.

I have taken this bike with me thru 7 different European countries and it did do the Paris curcuit just before the finish of the Tour in 2001. The longest daily ride I have taken it on was over 150k. The top speed I have had it at was 120 kmp coming down one mountian. It is tremendously reliable and would ride it any place any time.
Of course I went to look at this so called bike. First thing that came to my mind... Yes, it's a Scott, and crap it's heavy.

He also says...
The rear hub was replace to a Sora, duralex with a deep well rim and extra heavy spokes in a sunray pattern. I used to road ride through the mountians and this gave a lot more power to the rear and stability.

Chromo Steel, why the hell is it still so heavy?... Rear wheel doesn't help .

... And, until this year was ONLY professionally maintained.

Shimano RSX100 Group. The steel is tig welded, my guess it's from the mid 90's probably 1996 or 1997. I would love to learn more about the bike though, anybody have information?

$150, how did I do?
Old 06-30-09, 08:37 PM
Servo888

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
More pictures

No idea why I bought it... I know I can flip it, but I think his story, and the uniqueness, got me pretty curious.
Old 07-02-09, 01:05 PM
Servo888

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Friendly bump / update:

Okay here's what I've got so far. The bike is probably from around 1995-1998, and retailed for approximately $800-$1000 USD (not sure of the European value). It definitely was not sold here. The frame is chromoly steel, Ritchey dropouts, with a hanger for the front derailleur. Not made in the united states from what I've gather, probably Japanese steel. I still have to grab the frame number off the bike, but it's currently soaking in pb blaster, so I'll grab it tonight.

Right shifter is dead, so I'll be rebuilding it. Hopefully nothing too major. The whole bike smells terrible though... I can't explain it. It's a combination of smoke, and something else. The fake cork is off, but the smell is still there =-\ . Weird.

Also what do you guys do with the seat? I'm a germ-a-phobe, so I just sell the seats on ebay. This one is actually some what comfortable, so maybe remove the old leather + foam, and attach some new leather + foam?
Old 12-23-10, 12:22 PM
camit34

Bikes: LeMond, Scott, Connondale, Trek, Redline, DiamondBack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you found much more out about this bike?

I have a Scott AFD-501 that I purchased while stationed in Germany back in the mid 90's. Bought it for my B-Day in '95, it was 1700 deutsche marks. With the exchange rate at the time I paid just over 1000 US for it. I have been goofing with the bike over the last couple years but still have all the original 10 components and rims. I'll snaps some pix and post them if you're interested.