Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this Good Buy(Nishiki)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 03:40 AM
sacramento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this Good Buy(Nishiki)

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/1292002978.html

Good buy.
New to Road Bikes.
I dont want anything amazing but decent,
Old 07-28-09, 04:06 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
First off, does it fit you? This frame is very big, I would guess you would have to be 6'4" or taller to fit it.

It looks like a lower end model, not worth 185.00 in my opinion. Then again bikes that size are probably hard to find and may command a premium. It's probably a decent bike though, at that price it should be 100% tuned and ready to ride. New cables, grease etc.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 07-28-09, 04:24 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Nishiki Sport model is the same as the Schwinn World Sport. They came from the same Giant factory. Last year I had one of each model sitting next to each other in the garage, and other than a little different model of brake calipers, is was a separated at birth moment.
Old 07-28-09, 04:50 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Nothing special...

Just about any old road bicycle will offer a road bike like ride - light and quick to handle but entry level bikes, like your Nishiki will do little to offer a quality ride. The bike will be somewhat heavier than better models. It will be harder to accelerate with and response will be slow.

The bike will feel great when compared to a mountain bike or roadster but clumsy or awkward when compared to a good quality road bicycle. That said, unless you are a true connoisseur of vintage road bikes and the ride quality that they have to offer, you will be impressed with the Nishiki. But don't take a Nishiki Continental out for a ride and then hop on the Sport. You will be disappointed then.

So go for the bike but $185.00 seems like a great deal to me, however; I am unfamiliar with vintage road bike values in other areas. Where I live, I would not pay more than $20.00 for a Nishiki Sport but that means nothing to anyone else. If that is what entry level bikes are selling for where you live that is what you will likely have to pay unless you know of another way to find yourself a bike.

You might just try mentioning to everyone that you know that you are looking for an old Ten Speed(generic name referring to almost all old road bicycles). If you do this and I mean really do it, you will probably have a nice old road bike by the end of the week and for next to no cash outlay. I do this all the time and it works really well.
Old 07-28-09, 05:49 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Lower end bike in average to slightly above average condition = $150 around here.

Large size is harder to sell, depresses price a bit. On the other hand, if you really need a bike this tall, they are hard to find as well!

Condition judgment based on mediocre picture, bike might be better or worse in person.

Make sure seat post is not stuck, that would be a deal breaker IMHO.

+1 This is a really tall bike, make sure it fits.

I have not seen a Schwinn World Sport or a Nishiki Sport for $20. I commonly see later model Schwinn World Sports (cromoly main tubes) in the $150 to $175 price range.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-28-09 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 06:24 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Lugged steel, alloy wheels, F&R quick releases, indexed gearing, looks to be in good shape. If your the end user and its the right size $185 is OK, maybe a little high but it is Sacramento which is a market I know nothing about. $150-175 in Tampa.
Old 07-28-09, 10:33 AM
Dyermaker
Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sacramento is basically where the Bay heads look for swoopy little deals that come up...

Prices vary drastically, but in any case, you could do much better in the area for close to 200$.

Just be patient and heed the info given to you by BF members.
Old 07-28-09, 06:11 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
That looks like a 1987 Nishiki based on the decal set. If I'm right, thats a chromoly main tube frame set. One or two models above the lowest model in the Nishiki line up. As was said, a chromoly frameset will make a nice rider. Price is a little high, but not crazy high, but if it's in nice shape and you really want it and it's your size.... I guess it's your call.